Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
What purposes have you folks found for your used gunpowder containers? The plastic containers are heavy walled and light-proof, so they ought to have plenty of uses outside of powder storage. I wouldn't want to do anything food related in them, but for instance washing thoroughly, cutting off the top, and using one pound containers to store nuts and bolts seems an appropriate use. Over the years I've normally just chucked them after use, but currently have a pretty sizable stash and am open to ideas.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple 1# plastic big mouth in my boat for when I gotta piss.

GOA
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have saved them and metal ones. When I bought an 8 pound jug of any powder, I transferred it all into the1 pound containers ( which actually held more than one pound and labeled it. That way, only the powder I was using in the 1 pound container was opened to the air as I used it, the other was sealed from air and humidity until future use

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/23/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use them as (temporary) disposal containers for used cleaning patches to keep the solvent stench contained. I’m curious to hear some other ideas, because I’ve accumulated a pile of them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I do like Saddlesore. Transfer my 8lb jugs into 1lb bottles, putting 20 ozs into the bottles (which may or may not be safe). Thereby saving room in my powder cabinet.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fill almost full of water (allow space for expansion), freeze, use to occupy empty spots in your freezer to cut back on freezer run time, AND help protect the freezer contents during a power outage.

I repurpose milk jugs for this to take up larger spaces.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Nuts, bolts, other hardware, freezer water/ space..... thats what Costco Macadamian nut cluster containers are for.....

Of coarse, one must dispose of the chews first, darn it. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put loaded ammo in them. I prefer to put the ammo I used that powder out of inside of the container. If the powder label matches what is inside I don't peel off the label. I just stick the new loading data onto the bottle. This works great with the smaller cartridges. Anything over .308 and you can't get much in. But, for the small stuff it works great.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I cut the top off a couple and screwed them to my shelf in my reloading room for holding bore guides.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Speaking of "used powder containers", I was gifted 16 lbs of powder. It's all in metal containers. I would like to transfer it to plastic containers. If someone has a couple of 8 lb jugs or a few 1 lb'ers they would like to get rid of, please send me a message.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Highoctane
Speaking of "used powder containers", I was gifted 16 lbs of powder. It's all in metal containers. I would like to transfer it to plastic containers. If someone has a couple of 8 lb jugs or a few 1 lb'ers they would like to get rid of, please send me a message.

I've used washer fluid jugs for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My spare 1lb containers are filled with bulk bullets.

I don't have a lot of those as I buy all my powder in 8lb jugs and just have one 1 pounder for each powder type.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Put loaded rifle ammunition in them to keep as extra for my two truck rifles .223/5.56 and .30-06. No spillage or broken open containers and moisture proof.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any of you have a empty RE23 8# jug you would consider getting rid of?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
I put loaded ammo in them. I prefer to put the ammo I used that powder out of inside of the container. If the powder label matches what is inside I don't peel off the label. I just stick the new loading data onto the bottle. This works great with the smaller cartridges. Anything over .308 and you can't get much in. But, for the small stuff it works great.

kwg
Great idea, thanks for the tip.
Like Hastings says, perfect for 223 ammo to keep for the truck gun. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
My spare 1lb containers are filled with bulk bullets.

I don't have a lot of those as I buy all my powder in 8lb jugs and just have one 1 pounder for each powder type.

This is what I also have started to do. I also have one that I dump fired primers into. When it's full I dump the spent primers into a gallon zip-lock bag and throw it in the scrap brass bin.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I store pistol ammo in them. Also pistol brass.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To save space, I'm going to start putting the empty bullet boxes in the empty powder bottles. Why? Why do I keep this stuff? crazy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
To save space, I'm going to start putting the empty bullet boxes in the empty powder bottles. Why? Why do I keep this stuff? crazy

The most relevant question of the week!

I just know I’m gonna find a good use for my plastic Lapua brass and Barnes bullet boxes…..one of these days…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah....why do I save used bullet boxes?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, there's some good ideas here!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have pealed the labels off and used them for other powders relabeled correctly.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I cut the bottom third off and mix my bedding and flock in them. After the excess sets up you squeeze the sides and the remaining bedding pops out and you’re ready for the next use.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Highoctane

I've used washer fluid jugs for that.
I'd be leery of that, due to light degradation of the powder.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
I have a couple 1# plastic big mouth in my boat for when I gotta piss.
I tried that but the mouth wasn't hardly big enough.....

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yeah....why do I save used bullet boxes?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, there's some good ideas here!
I save empty bullet boxes to keep track of how many rounds have been fired in a certain gun. Write the gun used on the empty box. Also have a small notebook for each gun to keep track of rounds fired, scopes used etc.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a one pound Varget jug I put spent primers in. When the spent primer tube on my Redding T7 gets full I just pull the plug at the bottom and let them drain out into it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fill them full of water, take them out in the boonies and shoot them. Be sure to pick up split container and toss it in the trash when you are finished.

Last edited by centershot; 02/01/24.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was not saving them until I bought my Brown Bess, and started making my own black powder.

Now the homemade stuff goes into used 1lb cans. I really can't think of a better way to store it.

This summer I'm going to crank up the operation. I've seen the light on Cottonelle toilet paper. It's the easy button of BP.

My first batch last summer yielded powder that's on a par with store-bought. I'm using a simple ricing method that's duplicates pre-1800 BP pretty accurately. I used Tree of Heaven as a charcoal source. However, I can only harvest about 3lbs a year off the trees growing in my yard.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't save them but I do like the old small square cans that I put on a self in the gun room. I use the coffee containers for brass pistol ammo ect as they have lids and stack nicely.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.