Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
My 45-70 CVA Scout
Copyright 2023 – Stephen Redgwell

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
CVA Scout – 45-70 with a Burris 2-7 scope

Sometimes, you just have to buy a rifle “because”. The CVA Scout is one of those purchases. This one is a single shot that’s chambered for a rimmed cartridge, the 45-70. Of my single shots, this trigger out of the box is far and away the best I have ever used. That includes several Ruger No. 1s and my Thompson Center Contender/Encore rifles as well. The mechanism was well executed. It breaks at 3 lb with little creep. If it’s like that new, I can see it improving with use.

I have three H&R single shots that had the worst factory triggers of the bunch. All needed attention. My 22 K-Hornet was touched up by polishing the metal surfaces. That made it better, but it still lags behind the rest.

Handi Rifle – 22 K-Hornet with a Leupold 4×33mm scope

Granted, the H&R/NEF Handi rifles were budget guns, so you couldn’t expect a nice, light trigger. But they worked. If you were hunting or shooting when they were still being made, you might remember that in addition to their low price, they were a dependable, no frills performer.

Unfortunately, they ceased production in 2015 and since then, prices for used Handis are through the roof! With the exception of collectibles, these pre-owned single shots seem to be overpriced. I see a few on gun shop racks, but they sit until either the store lowers the asking price, or a potential buyer haggles to bring the cost down.

Single shots are definitely a niche market. It’s no surprise, given that almost everyone wants an autoloader these days. It’s the influence of television and for some, having served in the military. As a retired armourer, I spent a lot of time with autoloaders. We cannot use them for hunting right now, but I am confident that will change.

That wordy preamble over, let’s talk about the CVA (Connecticut Valley Arms) Scout rifle. You can read about its history and what it manufactures here. CVA Rifles The web also has reviews on them.

I am by no means an expert of their products, but I like the Scout.

7.5 pounds without a scope

It has a fluted, stainless steel barrel. This isn’t the norm for single shots and is a nice touch.

It comes with a scope rail. If you get one, remember to take it off, clean up the screw threads and reinstall them with some Loctite. I bought a pair of Burris 1 inch, medium height Zee rings because I had difficulties accessing the hammer using the lows.

Four screws keep the rail secure

The forend is made for quick take down. A short pull on the lever and off it comes.

Fluted barrel with muzzle brake

Now something that might make you go hmmm.

It weighs 7.5 lb. With the scope, 8.5 lb. Shooting a 45-70, some loads might make you wince. I suppose that goes for any rifle though if it’s loaded hot.

It has a muzzle brake. These days, they are “cool”. A lot of younger shooters want them, regardless of calibre, because of their looks. As most of us know however, there are trade offs. The biggest is that they are louder. Use them at the range with a big bore cartridge and you will wake up the neighbours. I don’t know how effective this particular brake is, but I’m assuming a 25 to 30% recoil reduction.

That’s a big breech!

I loaded up some 400 grain lead bullets with AA 5744. The computer prediction with the 24 inch barrel is 1500 fps. That means, without the brake, it will generate about 20 ft/lb of felt recoil. With the brake, take 25% off,. That means about 15 ft/lb on my shoulder. If the rifle groups two inches or better at 100 yards, it’s good to go.

More on how it performed when I get back from the range.

https://303british.com/my-cva-scout-in-45-70/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sighted in a new blued non-takedown model for a friend last week. Trigger was great, being about 3lbs. Gentle and accurate with Hornady 250gr Monoflex loads. Going 2.5” high at 100yds was dead on at 150 and 5-6” low on the 200yd steel boar gong.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JPro
I sighted in a new blued non-takedown model for a friend last week. Trigger was great, being about 3lbs. Gentle and accurate with Hornady 250gr Monoflex loads. Going 2.5” high at 100yds was dead on at 150 and 5-6” low on the 200yd steel boar gong.

I really hope that CVA chambers these in more cartridges. I like the price - either blued or stainless, and you cannot beat their triggers!

I think a 308 and maybe even a 30-30. It would also be interesting to hear about barrel swapping.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a .350 legend T/D version and I love it. Wish it were a pound lighter but can’t complain for the price!

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I’ve got a .350 legend T/D version and I love it. Wish it were a pound lighter but can’t complain for the price!

I’ve been trying to decide whether I want a 350 Legend or a 357 Maximum. I’m leaning toward the Max because it headspaces off the rim, not the case mouth.

I guess either would work, but I don’t need both. Or maybe I do. 🙂

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Got mine yesterday in 45/70, scoped it and went out to roughly sight it in but mainly to see which of the three factory loads it liked best.
I was shooting at 50 yds and with Barnes Vor-TX, 300gr bullets, got a nice clover leaf that measures 5/8 of an inch.
I am currently reloading 405 gr cast with IMR 4198.
Might be able to head out again today to try these out. Sweet gun.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bloodied mine this past weekend. Super mild-shooting little rifle. I think the trigger on this particular one is actually below 3lbs. Just shooting the 165FTX factory loads for now.

They make this little rifle in a .243 version, which I wouldn't mind having for a "knockaround" truck rifle. I really wish they'd do a 1-7" or 1-8" .223 version.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by marzoom
Got mine yesterday in 45/70, scoped it and went out to roughly sight it in but mainly to see which of the three factory loads it liked best.
I was shooting at 50 yds and with Barnes Vor-TX, 300gr bullets, got a nice clover leaf that measures 5/8 of an inch.
I am currently reloading 405 gr cast with IMR 4198.
Might be able to head out again today to try these out. Sweet gun.

Congratulations. If you get out, please post your results. The weather where I am isn't letting me get to the range

Originally Posted by JPro

Bloodied mine this past weekend. Super mild-shooting little rifle. I think the trigger on this particular one is actually below 3lbs. Just shooting the 165FTX factory loads for now.

They make this little rifle in a .243 version, which I wouldn't mind having for a "knockaround" truck rifle. I really wish they'd do a 1-7" or 1-8" .223 version.

I am waiting to hear back from CVA about any future new chamberings.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Steve,

I wanted a Scout in 360 Buckhammer because I wanted a rimmed .358 caliber SS rifle. When I contacted CVA last spring, I was told there wasn't any plan to chamber the 360 at that time.

I bought a blued 20 in. 350 Legend and sent it to Mike Bellm. He re-cut the chamber for 360BH. Extremely happy with the results. So far, I've only shot factory Remington 180/200gr. ammo. I've put a couple of boxes through it to this point. I was able to hunt with it a couple of times, but no luck.

A 4x Nikon Monarch was mounted on it on it. I may change it later, but it's a bright and rugged scope that matches up well with the rifle. It's sighted in right now for the 200gr. load. Pictures of a group with both weights posted below.

.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
That was a great idea to have the barrel rechambered to the 360 Buckhammer. I remember a close friend telling me many years ago that rimmed cartridges would soon be gone. He told me to buy up as many 30-30 and 303 cases as I could That was in 1980. His predictions were somewhat premature. smile Several new rimmed cartridges came out about that time and a few old timers like the 45-70 were making a comeback. I can see the Buckhammer as a viable cartridge. Not on the plains, but in those places where rimmed cartridges have traditionally done well. The US NE and down the east coast. Up here, some of the old time cartridges are selling well in central and eastern Canada.

I think that cartridge would do well with cast bullets too. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Steve,

I wanted a 360BH cartridge in the Scout rifle for multiple reasons;

1. It would be easier to load for than the 350L, I could use the pile of .358 bullets I have on hand and it meets or slightly exceeds the 35 Remington.

2. It would be legal in the areas requiring a 1.8 inch straight wall cartridge.

3. There are four factory loads for it and it can be easily made from 30-30 brass.

4. And most important for me, it's legal for primitive season in Mississippi. For that purpose, a rifle has to be single shot, breech loading, exposed hammer and in .35 caliber or larger. While I have other rifles that fit that criteria, they are chambered for heavy recoiling calibers. I wanted a light rifle in a cartridge with much less recoil.

I believe my choice completely filled these requirements.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It appears you thought things through. There were a few things about the Legend that made me step back. These are concerns that are unique to my situation.

The first was the bore diameter of the Legend. Looking at the SAAMI diagrams, it occurred to me that I would have to get a draw die to reduce the bullet diameter to fit through what is essentially a 9mm barrel. The other concern was that the Legend headspaces off the case mouth. For a single shot, I'd prefer a rimmed case. That's just me however.

Like you, I have a bunch of .358 bullets and a lot of cast too. It would be easier with the slightly bigger bore.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
So far just trying to find the ammo it likes at 50 yds. Next is trying out some reloads and hopefully final sighting in. Very impress so far with this rifle.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20240123_151400 by .com/photos/154466150N05/]Mario Comtois, on [bleep]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20240123_142956 by .com/photos/154466150N05/]Mario Comtois, on [bleep]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not an expert with the .45-70, but have one I like. I've only shot cast bullets of 530 grains powered with Lord Black. Have a scope but have found no need for it. The tang sight does just fine.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Not an expert with the .45-70, but have one I like. I've only shot cast bullets of 530 grains powered with Lord Black. Have a scope but have found no need for it. The tang sight does just fine.

That’s mighty fine shootin D.D. Sure wish I could do that open sights @ 100 yds.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would love a Scout in 30-30. I have one in 350 but rimmed cartridges are what single shots work best with.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JakeM78
I would love a Scout in 30-30. I have one in 350 but rimmed cartridges are what single shots work best with.

With SHOT going on, we might hear if CVA announces any new chamberings. As I said earlier, I asked them about it, but they have not responded.

Originally Posted by dpd
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That’s mighty fine shootin D.D. Sure wish I could do that open sights @ 100 yds.

It's been a long time since I had a BP rifle. Nice shooting!

So far just trying to find the ammo it likes at 50 yds. Next is trying out some reloads and hopefully final sighting in. Very impress so far with this rifle.

Mario Comtois

I agree, Mario. I hope they start producing rifles like H&R used to before Remington bought them out and closed down the operation.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I got the answer back from my first inquiry. CVA is expanding their line, but did not provide details. They have almost new BP rifles, including this one that doesn't look like a BP rifle. SHOT is done for this year, so perhaps they are waiting to get back to the office.

[Linked Image from cvariflesusa.com]

CVA Paramount 45 cal. inline BP rifle

This ain't your daddy's smoke pole!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of the Optima 2 MLs last Fall, mostly because I had a huge supply of bullets, sabots, and five pounds of BH 209. Amazing gun for $300. Earlier I’d seen a .444 Scout in my LGS and was impressed, except by the brake. A .360 would be more practical for me, I think, and more pleasant to shoot. That .50 is pretty lively with 100gr!

While I own and like a couple Henrys, the Scout stock is much better for scope use.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know what you mean about the Henrys. I had two issues. First was scope mounting. I got the impression they would take some work to be used with a scope. The other was the trigger. It isn't very good.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Steve; You are correct.... Sometimes you just have to buy a rifle "because". Got mine because I've been liking single shots more than ever the last 5 or 6 years, and because I like my CVA Accura 50 cal. inline muzzle loader. Picked up a CVA Scout V2 takedown last Feb. in 444 Marlin because I wanted a single shot woodland whitetail thumper using a big straight wall cartridge, even though I can and do use regular bottleneck rifle cartridges. I've always been impressed by the 444 in the woods and have no plans to hunt buffalo so I wrote the .45-70 off as "overkill". Even though the .45-70 can be loaded down, the 444 Marlin fits right in with my ballistic needs & wants. The Scout has proven to be a great shooter, and I guess that muzzle brake works, as the recoil is less than I expected, and no problem at all. Trigger on mine breaks clean and averaged 3 lbs. 5 oz. on a Lyman digital gauge when new and was at an average 3 lbs. 2 oz. 108 rounds later. That was a good suggestion about that scope rail and it's too bad I didn't know that last summer. Didn't check it when new and it loosened up after the first 125 rounds but all is well now. I'm really liking it and I'm glad I got it almost a year ago, as demand will probably drive the price up and they seem to be gaining in popularity, besides the damn inflation factor. All in all, I'm with you as a fan of the CVA single shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I know what you mean about the Henrys. I had two issues. First was scope mounting. I got the impression they would take some work to be used with a scope. The other was the trigger. It isn't very good.

I have a Beartooth slip-on riser pad on my .357 and it puts me right behind a low-mounted Romeo 5. It accepts pads of various thicknesses, and stays put, not always the case with other types. That one is a recent manufacture and has the improved trigger, which is perfectly adequate for such a piece. My .410 is an early one, and went through the recall, and it’s very good; even my gunsmith remarked on how good it was. That little cannon is a very handy and enjoyable piece, BTW. Currently, regular shot loads are spendy and hard to find, but I have quite a lot from before the crunch. Brennekes, 000 buckshot, and turkey loads all perform very well. With a good sight, I have no doubts I could take deer handily within 50 yards, turkeys inside 40, and small game with shot at 30-35.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Hi Steve; You are correct.... Sometimes you just have to buy a rifle "because". Got mine because I've been liking single shots more than ever the last 5 or 6 years, and because I like my CVA Accura 50 cal. inline muzzle loader. Picked up a CVA Scout V2 takedown last Feb. in 444 Marlin because I wanted a single shot woodland whitetail thumper using a big straight wall cartridge, even though I can and do use regular bottleneck rifle cartridges. I've always been impressed by the 444 in the woods and have no plans to hunt buffalo so I wrote the .45-70 off as "overkill". Even though the .45-70 can be loaded down, the 444 Marlin fits right in with my ballistic needs & wants.

The Scout has proven to be a great shooter, and I guess that muzzle brake works, as the recoil is less than I expected, and no problem at all. Trigger on mine breaks clean and averaged 3 lbs. 5 oz. on a Lyman digital gauge when new and was at an average 3 lbs. 2 oz. 108 rounds later. That was a good suggestion about that scope rail and it's too bad I didn't know that last summer. Didn't check it when new and it loosened up after the first 125 rounds but all is well now. I'm really liking it and I'm glad I got it almost a year ago, as demand will probably drive the price up and they seem to be gaining in popularity, besides the damn inflation factor. All in all, I'm with you as a fan of the CVA single shots.

I'm glad it's working for you. smile Scope rails or rifles that come with a scope and rings already mounted are just screwed on but not torqued or loctited. I think it would be better if the companies just shipped the scope not attached. Same with the rails. When I cleaned up the rail, screws and threads, there was preservative on them so they would have shook loose quickly.

I hope they expand their chamberings. smile

Originally Posted by Pappy348
I have a Beartooth slip-on riser pad on my .357 and it puts me right behind a low-mounted Romeo 5. It accepts pads of various thicknesses, and stays put, not always the case with other types. That one is a recent manufacture and has the improved trigger, which is perfectly adequate for such a piece. My .410 is an early one, and went through the recall, and it’s very good; even my gunsmith remarked on how good it was. That little cannon is a very handy and enjoyable piece, BTW. Currently, regular shot loads are spendy and hard to find, but I have quite a lot from before the crunch. Brennekes, 000 buckshot, and turkey loads all perform very well. With a good sight, I have no doubts I could take deer handily within 50 yards, turkeys inside 40, and small game with shot at 30-35.

I was glad to hear that Henry made some improvements from the first production run. The first trigger iteration wasn't very good. Given the choice between the Scout or the Henry, I would probably take the Scout.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Made it out today with some reloads shooting 405 gr cast bullets. Unfortunately had the one and only misfire today and it appears to have happen with the best group so two out of three shots.
Will be back with more reloads to confirm but looks promising. Shot at 100yds. was shooting 325 gr barne bullets before these which shot roughly 2 inches above bullseye, quite the drop.
I had also taken the brake off as was at the range, didn't want to have angry people at me. Will be interesting to see if POI will be the same with it on after my final sight in.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Target by Mario Comtois, on [bleep]

Last edited by marzoom; 01/29/24.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Please post your results with the next batch of reloads.

Where are you on the Island! I used to be stationed in Comox.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm in Victoria.Just finish prepping cases for next reloads.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm in Victoria.Just finish prepping cases for next reloads.

I just ordered some powder coated cast bullets to try. I have never used them before. This will be an adventure.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Where are you getting your cast bullets from? How many grains?

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where are you getting your cast bullets from? How many grains?

I pour some of my own, but I have bought from Rustywood Trading, the Bullet Barn and Prairie Projectiles.

For the 45-70, I have got 350 and 400 gr. I believe Prairie Projectiles also has a 300 gr. bullet too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The ones I have are Missouri bullets from Budget shooters supply which I need to reorder some more.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well I can now confirm I just need to fine tune my load of 35.5 grains with the 405 gr bullet.
Thinking of trying 300+ gr cast next. Not counting the pull shot and at 5/8" group at 100 yds, I am pretty happy with that.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_0700 by [url=https://www.[bleep].com/photos/154466150N05/][/url]

Last edited by marzoom; 02/01/24.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Steve,

I wanted a Scout in 360 Buckhammer because I wanted a rimmed .358 caliber SS rifle. When I contacted CVA last spring, I was told there wasn't any plan to chamber the 360 at that time.

I bought a blued 20 in. 350 Legend and sent it to Mike Bellm. He re-cut the chamber for 360BH. Extremely happy with the results. So far, I've only shot factory Remington 180/200gr. ammo. I've put a couple of boxes through it to this point. I was able to hunt with it a couple of times, but no luck.

A 4x Nikon Monarch was mounted on it on it. I may change it later, but it's a bright and rugged scope that matches up well with the rifle. It's sighted in right now for the 200gr. load. Pictures of a group with both weights posted below.

.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Awesome idea aboltfan! What did Mike charge to re-cut the chamber?

Last edited by Motown; 02/01/24.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm going to use a different powder as I believe 3198 is the cause of the misfires, too much space in the cartridge and it is not igniting. I use the same primers for my 308 and have not had one misfire.
More I read about that powder the more I don't want it for the 45/70. Maybe I try magnum primers to get better ignition.
Note: Powder is actually IMR4198 not what is written on the target.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Motown
Awesome idea aboltfan! What did Mike charge to re-cut the chamber?

Yes. What are they charging these days?

I'm going to use a different powder as I believe 3198 is the cause of the misfires, too much space in the cartridge and it is not igniting. I use the same primers for my 308 and have not had one misfire.
More I read about that powder the more I don't want it for the 45/70. Maybe I try magnum primers to get better ignition.
Note: Powder is actually IMR4198 not what is written on the target.

I don’t know what you have for powder, but Re 7, 3031 and 4895 are all good choices.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Got some 4064 and Varget. Think I'll stick too Varget as can use it for my 308 also, like that powder.
Back to the reloading bench I go.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Gentlemen,

Mike charged $125.00 + shipping to re-cut the chamber and extractor.

marzoom,

Varget worked very well for me with 405gr. Rem. SP out of a Handi and Marlin 45-70. A2015 and H335 did as well. RL7 worked better for me with 300gr. bullets.

I ended up going with A2015 to load five hundred rounds of the 405gr. bullets, because it was as accurate as Varget and I had eight pounds of it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gentlemen,

marzoom,

Varget worked very well for me with 405gr. Rem. SP out of a Handi and Marlin 45-70. A2015 and H335 did as well. RL7 worked better for me with 300gr. bullets.

I ended up going with A2015 to load five hundred rounds of the 405gr. bullets, because it was as accurate as Varget and I had eight pounds of it.

Thanks and that price isn’t bad at all! I already have a Scout in 450BM but that 360BH is really intriguing.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Gentlemen,

marzoom,

Thanks and good to know. Unfortunately Have not seen any of that powder you mention in stock around my area. I shooting cast bullets right now, just ordered 300 and 405gr.

Now I need to figure out a way to pull bullets out of three rounds without any damage, don't have anything that big yet to do the job but will try to find a collet for my puller.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
marzoom, you can get these bullet pullers.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

1) Include 3 different Collects,3 O-Rings and Instructions For Use.
2) Works with almost every Caliber from 22 Hornet to 45-70.
3) Material: Polycarbonate Impact Style Body with a Solid Metal Shaft.

https://www.amazon.ca/Impact-Bullet-Different-Expandable-Collets/dp/B07WDNH81Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
marzoom, you can get these bullet pullers.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

1) Include 3 different Collects,3 O-Rings and Instructions For Use.
2) Works with almost every Caliber from 22 Hornet to 45-70.
3) Material: Polycarbonate Impact Style Body with a Solid Metal Shaft.

https://www.amazon.ca/Impact-Bullet-Different-Expandable-Collets/dp/B07WDNH81Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I have one but lost some collets for it. I really never was a fan of whacking the friggin thing with live ammo.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have one but lost some collets for it. I really never was a fan of whacking the friggin thing with live ammo.

There is no danger doing that. The only thing that might happen is bullet damage.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Found a collect for my rcbs puller. Life is good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The RCBS impact bullet puller can be used with Lee shellholders in place of a collet, in case you lose any collets again. Didn't discover that on my own, but was told about it by someone after I had lost a collet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm glad it's working for you. smile Scope rails or rifles that come with a scope and rings already mounted are just screwed on but not torqued or loctited. I think it would be better if the companies just shipped the scope not attached. Same with the rails. When I cleaned up the rail, screws and threads, there was preservative on them so they would have shook loose quickly.
Well Steve; here's my excuse: This one came with just the rail, as those optics packages are usually some low budget, uninteresting proposition. Had a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x 24mm with illuminated reticle here so that's what it got. Got so busy with scope rings, scope mounting, bore sighting, and handloading ( It's yet to fire a factory load and I doubt it ever will), that I totally forgot to check that rail. Classic case of "new gun fever".

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by 22250rem
The RCBS impact bullet puller can be used with Lee shellholders in place of a collet, in case you lose any collets again. Didn't discover that on my own, but was told about it by someone after I had lost a collet.

Yes I knew that but did not have a shell holder at the time, now I do, LOL I reload the 45-70 with a Lee Loader even though I have a press, just no dies in that caliber. It's all good now.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well can't say I am having much success as to my liking so far with this rifle as far as grouping but think I might be getting close to satisfactory. Just need more range time and more reloading time.
Tried some reloads with the 325gr bullets from Hornady for the Lever cartridges, almost got a nice group. Might try different powder.

Last edited by marzoom; 02/04/24.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
So receive my order of cast lead coated bullets today and proceeded to load 20 rounds with the 300 gr coated bullets. If it's nice tomorrow then might head to the range for some testing.
Reloading data for the 300 gr bullets seems kind of limited but did find some starting loads to play with. I also went a different route with the cases this time, I did not resize them since they are fire form to my rifle.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
So receive my order of cast lead coated bullets today and proceeded to load 20 rounds with the 300 gr coated bullets. If it's nice tomorrow then might head to the range for some testing.

Reloading data for the 300 gr bullets seems kind of limited but did find some starting loads to play with. I also went a different route with the cases this time, I did not resize them since they are fire form to my rifle.

If you are loading for blacktails, those 300 gr. bullets will be overkill. smile

The nice thing about single shots like the Scout is that you can check the fired cases in the rifle before they are reloaded. If they fully seat (which they should) then you won't need to resize them. The only things you should do is check the case mouth and case length. You want to make sure that the case mouth will grip the bullet enough. This too should be okay, but better safe than sorry.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[quote=If you are loading for blacktails, those 300 gr. bullets will be overkill. smile

The nice thing about single shots like the Scout is that you can check the fired cases in the rifle before they are reloaded. If they fully seat (which they should) then you won't need to resize them. The only things you should do is check the case mouth and case length. You want to make sure that the case mouth will grip the bullet enough. This too should be okay, but better safe than sorry.

I have other rifles for black tail though if the scout is the one I have at the moment then I would still take a shot.

My first experiment with the 300 grainers was a disappointment so will try different loads.

Went back to neck sizing on the cases.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Pick up a box of 350gr Hornady FP bullets to try out. This rifle sure brings a lot of attention at the gun range. Fun, fun,fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My takedown version CVA 45/70 shoots several different 300g bullets into 1.5" at 100 yards. Granted, none are sub MOA with any regularity, but nothing over 2" regularly either. I'm just using Lee dies and a Lee factory crimp die.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by goalie
My takedown version CVA 45/70 shoots several different 300g bullets into 1.5" at 100 yards. Granted, none are sub MOA with any regularity, but nothing over 2" regularly either. I'm just using Lee dies and a Lee factory crimp die.
but maybe you also have a lever action you use them in also.

Why bother crimping? Just curious as don't need too for a single shot

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by goalie
but maybe you also have a lever action you use them in also.

Why bother crimping? Just curious as don't need too for a single shot

Some people believe that crimping results in more consistent release pressure upon firing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1800topsoil, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 64 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.