W
What's it for?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Are you talking about what they hang the ranch's sign from?

That's ridiculously self explanatory.

Farm gates here have two uprights and a pole across, high enough to let vehicles and equipment through, that carries the hot wire from one side to the other, with the gate itself isolated from the fencer.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Keeps the gate posts from falling into the middle causing the gates to drag the ground...........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H bracing, and N bracing, do that job, and probably better.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks , that's a corner post brace. I mean high to drive a truck under.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thanks , that's a corner post brace. I mean high to drive a truck under.

Yeah, absolutely can be a corner post brace when used on both sides of the corner, which around here are mostly N braces, but an H brace on the hinge side of a gate does a better job of preventing a sagging gate than an over the gate pole. An H brace, or an N brace, can take a LOT more gate weight. Which is what my comment was directed at if you notice I was responding to Muffin, not at answering your OP....I did that earlier to the best of my knowledge/experience with farm fence and gates around here.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A gate overhead pole, beam, or truss can have so many purposes with each possibly only site specific. The most common might be signage, support in soft shallow soil or solid rock, support for wires cables, phone line, decorative, power, lighting, water line, wildlife roost, mailbox swing support, noose for offenders, and whatever may come to mind at your site.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Noose for offenders.

I like that idea.

Wonder how many horse thieves swung at the gate back in the day.......

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Wonder how many horse thieves swung at the gate back in the day.......

And left for a few days as a deterrent for their compadres? Like when we were boys we used to hang dead crows and/or groundhogs on the fence thinking it would discourage other varmints. 😬

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,031
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.