Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne

In B.C. are you close enough to the coast that you don't get blizzards or do you still get them? Here in Southern Missouri we do not get blizzards but we get ice storms. It is worse for driving that snow.

Talking about your father-in-law's family and being stuck in a barn because they could not see 60 feet to the house. My Great Grandfather came over to the U.S. from Norway in 1885. He was in Southern Minnesota. He made the comment that they had a rope tied up in the winter from the barn to the house so they could follow the rope back to the house during a blizzard.

Scotty

Last edited by Scotty; 02/04/24.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back in 2006 went up to Saskatchewan in late Sept to early October. Stayed for 9 days hunting geese and huns it was fabulous. Snow, blues , specklebellies and a few canadas until 11am or so everyday except Sunday. Then we would pickup our spread of decoys and layout blinds. Hit a few places for huns. Then head back to the bed and breakfast to clean birds and eat. We had a whole house for the 3 of us. Some other guys were staying at the other house on the place fishing on the river they gave us a big bag of walleye fillets and we gave them a bag of goose jerky. The b and b owners and neighbors treated us royally. It was an incredible experience the 3 of us shot 270 birds in 9 days. We had along my buds black lab and my Gordon Setter. Each of us took a 12 and a 20 the other guys kept their ammo load at 200 rds each to be duty free. I took 400 I told my bud that I'd rather pay the duty than run out and waste time and money finding more. Never did run out and did loan some 20's to the other guys. Nothing is free but total cost for everything was $125 a day for each of us. All the Canadian folks we met were good folks . we were given permission to hunt their land graciously for free everywhere we went. Mostly hunting pea and wheat stubble for geese and grass for huns. It was a dream hunt and I'll never forget how welcome we were made to feel. No unpleasant surprises as my buds had done this for several years and knew everything that was needed to know. It was great
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Gotta be a special kinda stupid to expect any police or border agency to just hold onto your guns for a couple weeks while you have a look around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scotty;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of southern Missouri is getting no ice storms this morning and you're all well.

You're correct in that we're both a bit of a desert here as well as being 4 hours or 2 mountain ranges from the coast we don't get blizzards here that we did back in Saskatchewan.

The last year we farmed there, the worst snow storm of that winter was May 8th. I looked at my wife over a cup of coffee we were sharing - I'd been forced in off of the field I'd been cultivating - and said, "If this farming thing don't work out, the cherry blossoms are out in full swing in the Okanagan by now and it's tee shirt weather"... eek

In the nearly 40 years we've been here we've had enough of a snow dump once that I went up and shoveled the roof off. I want to say Scotty it was about 16" deep and very wet, which is the outer limits of what our snow load building code is designed for.

We'll usually get some wet snow and occasionally freezing rain as well, but nothing like Malcolm and kolofardos have to deal with out at the coast. Our youngest daughter teaches high school down in that neck of the woods and we're always watching the weather channel in winter and then anxiously texting her if it's one of their freezing rain storms.

The resulting traffic snarls on the vertical curling rinks that the roads become is wild to watch on TV, but as a Dad it doesn't do my old heart any good for sure!

I've read about ropes from the barn to the house too sir. That and so many other daily issues our ancestors faced is truly humbling to me.

My own late father was born in a sod house in southwestern Saskatchewan. They had a two day turn around trip to go get firewood from the Cypress Hills. Crazy to think about that too really.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
From what I hear, Canada is not a welcoming place anymore.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Now ya got one!

After 10 long years, we're getting the McRib back!

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...mroll-the-mcrib-r-is-back-803380453.html

Are you serious? As of January 10th Timmy's brought the WALNUT CRUNCH back!
No [bleep]... a whole busload of friends here (Idaho) rented a van and went up for this!!

Next thing will be a caravan to buy Buckley's Cough Syrup...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have plans to go to Northern Manitoba in June. My brother and I are going bear hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They can hold guns while they work on the and return them to you checking with the Feds.Just tell them when you’re returning and have them clean it before you pick it up.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Now ya got one!

After 10 long years, we're getting the McRib back!

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...mroll-the-mcrib-r-is-back-803380453.html

Are you serious? As of January 10th Timmy's brought the WALNUT CRUNCH back!
No [bleep]... a whole busload of friends here (Idaho) rented a van and went up for this!!

Next thing will be a caravan to buy Buckley's Cough Syrup...

Journeyman;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend behaved, the weather is decent and this finds you well.

Thanks for the chuckle on a couple points tonight, it's much appreciated.

Honestly and I know I'll be risking my Canadian citizenship somewhat for saying this - again - but I've come to prefer McDonald's coffee if that's all we're going for.

That said, Timmy's does make a good enough apple fritter and their breakfast sandwich things are edible.

When they came out with the re-release of the walnut crunch commercial, my wife and I started laughing as it was something my late Mom liked, but neither of us preferred them.

It sort of makes me grin to know a van full of Idaho folks would head up, I'm guessing to Creston or Cranbrook Tim's and get a feed. Wonderful adventure right there.

Buckleys, my goodness does that bring back memories of my childhood.

Mom would give us that if we coughed and it either cured us or we'd learn to hide the symptoms better so we didn't have to have another shot of it.

Speaking of shots of it, back when we still had our mountain horses, our farrier put us onto this stuff that was more or less Buckley's to the 10th power for stock and pets, called Zev if I'm not wrong.

Our Appy mare would get coughs sometimes, so I'd cut that Zev with a wee bit of good Canadian Rye so it'd flow better through a drilled out stock needle body - without the steel needle of course.

I'd coat that plastic needle body with stock molasses, wrestle it into Carly's mouth and then push the plunger as fast as I could so it'd shoot all the way back down her throat and she couldn't spit it out all over me.

Ask me how I learned that....

Anyways, that horse Buckley's mixed with rye did the trick for her a couple times and she got better quite quickly.

Come to think of it, she might well have been like me as a kid and just learned to not cough around me......

Thanks for the chuckle and the memories that were uncovered.

All the best.

Dwayne

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by tzone
Canada sucks.

LMAO

That is what I originally typed but decided to be nice.

[bleep] you 2 cucks !

wink

Oh my!

99's have an issue with us? The same 99's that tried to pin me, zone and northern dave on being in on the gophergunner BS?

Well?

Dude, did you miss the winky icon ??

Guess my humour, is too dry.

No issue here Rooster !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Canada sucks.

LMAO

[bleep] you 2 cucks !

wink

Oh my!

99's have an issue with us? The same 99's that tried to pin me, zone and northern dave on being in on the gophergunner BS?

Well?
Wait, these guys were in on Gophergunner? I didn't know that LOL.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 673
Canada sucks.

LMAO

[bleep] you 2 cucks !

wink

Oh my!

Well?
Wait, these guys were in on Gophergunner? I didn't know that LOL.

No, they were definitely not !

They were truly hoodwinked, just like everybody else.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Canada sucks.

LMAO

[bleep] you 2 cucks !

wink

Oh my!

Well?

Dude, did you miss the winky icon ??

Guess my humour, is too dry.

No issue here Rooster !

My apologies. My humor button must have been broken at the moment.

No issues here either, brother.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Hi , I'm an actual Canadian. I'm willing to answer most questions any Americans have about Canada . Let's hear it . Does anyone have any ?

Hi Malcolm and welcome.

Why are southern Manitoban's dumber than a bag of hammers?

Rooster7;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the first weekend of the second month is behaving and you're well.

Since we've got family on both sides who are kinda sorta in southern Manitoba, I feel somewhat qualified to attempt an answer, but have to tell you this one quickly first.

My late father in law's people came from around Brainerd, MN and his father decided to move up into Manitoba at the turn of the century after the second time he ended up stranded in a Minnesota blizzard.

The first time he let the horse go and sheltered in the covered sleigh for a couple days and the second time he was stuck in the barn for two days as he couldn't see the house which was about 60 yards away. The family in the house didn't know if he was alive or not either of course.

So my wife's grandfather and Civil War veteran great grandfather homesteaded in Manitoba 121 years ago.

Now Rooster, I suppose the winters might wear the southern Manitoba folks down some too?

It gets fairly chilly there, but then depending on where you're at in Minnesota, you'd be fairly aware of the north winds that start a north of Edmonton and are just getting moving briskly as they pass through southern Manitoba on the way to you folks. wink

Now as born and raised Saskatchewan boy who moved west to the land of fruits and nuts 40 years ago, there's some that'd question my ability to assess anything whatsoever - as in at all...

They might well have a point too.

The one litmus test I run on my fellow Canadians anymore is whether they listen to the state funded media or not. If they do, they're going to be in tough shape on many levels alright.

Hope that cleared up some questions or at least made you chuckle.

All the best.

Dwayne

You always make me chuckle, Dwayne. smile

I re-read my earlier posts and it seems I was a little harsh. Having to listen to my BIL talk crap about our country that he is now living in, gets me frustrated sometimes. I have met a few nice people from Manitoba so I should not lump them all together.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rooster7;
Good afternoon sir, I hope you're all having a relatively mild Monday as we seem to be here other than a wee bit of non sticking snow.

We are sir, as my girls might've said at one time "good" so to speak and I didn't take your tone as too harsh.

As an aside, I am glad that on occasion I'm able to provide you with some mild comic relief.

It strikes me that likely your proximity to the border might allow you to understand some of our Canadian nuance and strange use of verbiage, we're neighbors alright, but sometimes laugh at somewhat different things.

Now I will say this about that before heading further into the rhubarb that my family back in Saskatchewan and Manitoba say I've developed a "BC drawl" and honestly we in the west do talk a tad slower than our cousins and brothers on the prairie.

My gut feel about that Rooster is that out there, since they get 7 months of winter, when they stop and chat it's both cold and they've got a lot to complain about, so out of necessity they turn the talking speed up to 1.5 and sometimes a tad more.

Out here in the most mellow climate in Canada, where half the province was stoned on weed long before PM Sparkle Socks was a gleam in Fidel's eye, so the pace of conversation had to wind it back a couple notches to accommodate that half.

It's a working theory no doubt Rooster and as with all things, I could well be entirely wrong.

Regarding your BIL who complains about your country while living there, I'm not sure of course what an appropriate response might look like, but have taken to asking my fellow boomers what they've done personally and lately to change our mess for the better when they launch into a diatribe.

If they're active in attempting to make positive change, my diatribe tolerance increases a fair bit, but if they merely wish to howl and complain and not do anything, I have much less time for them and that.

Again, there are way too many of my generation who are still not asking questions of what's being presented to us as fact by our legacy media.

That I can say with confidence as I do attempt to listen to those on the other side - as much as my stomach can take anyways - as I believe it's much like Christian apologetics I find when dealing with some of the true CBC Believers.

Anyways sir, sorry about the family issue, it's a fact we can pick our nose and our friends, but not our family, which sometimes makes life complicated.

All the best and thanks again for the reply sir.

Dwayne

PS;
I've been fortunate enough to wander the world a tiny bit, have family who did much more than I and served on mission trips in some truly poor places.

Lately when someone I'm dealing with is apologizing for taking my time or what have you, my standard reply has become, "No apology needed. These are first world problems."

Then I might throw in the thought that many of us Canucks might have a rude awakening if we traveled outside our major cities, especially to some of the poorer FN Federal Reserves and even more if they went to a poorer country.

Sorry for the slightly serious tone.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dwayne,

Thanks for the kind reply. Our countries are not perfect by any means, especially with those in charge of them at the moment.

My BIL is a good guy at heart. He is just is very ignorant of what is happening in the world today. I've met some of his friends and family and they are the same exact way. You would swear they grew up in the north pole, far from any civilization. Some actually grew up 6 miles from the border and work in the US. As you know, southern Manitoba, between Winnipeg and the US, is pretty isolated from a lot of things.

They think that Trump is the devil but not one can tell me why. It's what they see on TV up there, I guess... ~shrug~

Thanks again for the reply and yes sir, you make me chuckle a lot with your stories and wit.

Take care,

Rooster

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maple syrup, hockey and communism, eh..

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 50 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.