Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The problem with rejoining the nra is like re marrying your ex wife. Most guys have moved on and found better organizations that don't treat their members with disrespect, and use their donations more effectively.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WLP was just the symptom of the problem.

Do you think he was the only one with an no questions asked expense account? No other board members, no underlings?

As it stands, the NRA is a self perpetuating creature, with no outside control possible. Until that changes, the characters may change, but the practices will stay the same.

When the next “Heller” case comes along, they’ll try to sabotage it, too, because winning kills the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dutch
WLP was just the symptom of the problem.

Do you think he was the only one with an no questions asked expense account? No other board members, no underlings?

As it stands, the NRA is a self perpetuating creature, with no outside control possible. Until that changes, the characters may change, but the practices will stay the same.

When the next “Heller” case comes along, they’ll try to sabotage it, too, because winning kills the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Exactly.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by shrapnel
LaPierre is gone, all you dissatisfied members that said you weren’t supporting the NRA until LaPierre was gon, well now he is, time to quit bitching and get behind the NRA…

While I don't hate the NRA, and definitely have a history of strong support for the organization, I now act like I'm from Missouri... "Show Me!"

It's way too soon out the starting gate to pick who will lead who where.

If I see positive things happening, and strict lines being held, I will strongly consider supporting the NRA again.

That is about the best I can do at this time.
This is close to where I am as well. I too well remember the Board behavior when folks like Knox were trying to correct the misdirection, and also feel that the entire enabling arrangement with WLP went on way too long and deep. Much better CEOs were easily available.

Any wise and value-centered Board would have long ago cleaned up its act and sent very strong and clear messages to the members and public about its self-corrected course. If they hope to go forward strongly, they MUST do so in a big way.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree with Waders.

GOA and state org. for me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
  
  
“I’ll give my money to the NRA when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.”

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For all the NRA haters that claimed they wouldn’t support the NRA until LaPierre was gone, I spoke to Philip Schreier today, a NRA museum director in Fairfax, Virginia. He was accompanied by Garry James, who many of you should know from his years writing for Guns and Ammo and The American Riflemen. Garry is now in Virginia working for the NRA.

I asked Phil what he thought about Wayne LaPierre and he didn’t seem interested in discussing the situation. When he realized that I knew Garry and we talked about guns and his friendship with Mike Venturino, Phil became more engaged. He told me that it will be settled in court and within 6 months there should be something different in the future of the NRA…

LaPierre is gone, all you dissatisfied members that said you weren’t supporting the NRA until LaPierre was gon, well now he is, time to quit bitching and get behind the NRA…

Not so fast... I've been a member for a long time. Started as a junior member and made my way up to Benefactor member. I went from Life to Endowment went Obama ran then from Endowment to Patron when he ran the second time. Went from Patron to Benefactor when Trump ran. Looking back over my membership of 40 plus years the NRA has done a tremendous amount of good. They have also looked the other way a lot and let a lot of BS laws go untouched. They have taken the approach of "let's find a common ground" instead a taking a hard stand against anything that infringes and all that does is slow the process of losing our rights. But we still lose them. With that being said, I'll be waiting to see what the "new" NRA does before they get any money from me. If the new leadership is just a clone of Wayne, my support will continue to go to GOA.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Buttfugk the NRA. Time has shown the problem to be much larger than Wayne. They will fix the system that allowed him to continue running the organization into the ground, and they will apologize, before I will ever consider coming back. Even then, I am not certain they are worthy of one penny of my money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Certainly LaPierre being gone is good for the organization but let's take a look at what needs to change after his removal to fulfill it's mission. My thoughts in no particular order.

1) Structural reorganization - There needs to be transparency and accountability to the members if they want to grow or retain members or get money from members beyond my life membership I bought 30 years ago. Trust has been lost by the majority of members. It will take work and time to get it back.

2) Take competition seriously. I've shot at national champions several times and never seen an NRA presence. In silhouette there is one woman in the entire organization you reach out to for records and when she retires there will be no one. Every national match should have the NRA there to hear members and understand what those that are already on their side want the org to do. We need to get young kids involved in competition of all sorts. When kids get involved then parents get involved. Do it right or give it up.

3) Educating the ignorant. A national campaign to educate those that are ignorant about firearms use, laws and stats. No, not easy and a lot of people don't want to hear it but Educators, News Organizations, reporters, general population. Reach out and understand that their ignorance is a hinderance to the organizations message that us legal gun owners are not the problem. Start buying ads in non-shooting, outdoors media. The "I'm the NRA" campaign with hometown and local folks was effective.

4) Work with the other Gun Rights orgs. This is a big issue and some of then do a far better job than the NRA and there is far more work to do than just one org can handle. With the right effective messaging and cooperation I'll be happy to expand what I give to the three gun orgs I belong to.

Just my couple cents.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This has been the problem and why I quit sending money when I was in my 20s. Even then I could see they did not want a showdown in the Supreme Court. I hand wrote them a letter and told them all they wanted was a continuing crisis.

I have been a life member for years and I throw the magazine away without reading it.

The NRA did nothing to help, NOTHING, when the two most important court cases ever were going through the system.

How do we know Wayne is really gone?

There is almost no non-profit that doesn't end up stealing.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Out of curiosity....how much of what we "hate" about the NRA has come from actual credible information or from the massive MSM media anti NRA campaign that's been going on for a decade and a half or so?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As it stands, the NRA is a self perpetuating creature, with no outside control possible.

Exactly. They became an entity unto themselves, for themselves with the primary goal being sustainment of the organization. They became beholden to themselves and unresponsive to the membership that makes their existence possible.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I always blame the battered woman; she should never leave under any circumstances.....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Winchester21
Resurrect Harlon Carter and Neal Knox and I'll give it some thought. Maybe.

Exactly this, unfortunately, most of the members here don't understand that the WLP scandal over misuse of funds was a fleabite, an unsightly pimple on the face of the NRA...the issue was in the 1970's and remains to this day, what shall be the primary function of the NRA? Shall it be to make 'reasonable compromises in the interests of public safety' on gun legislation proposed by whichever party is in power?....or....Shall it be an NRA that fights tooth and claw against every restriction and encroachment of the Second Amendment?

History...in 1975/76, Harlon Carter and Neal Knox (Rifle Magazine) had had enough of the NRA backing away from defending gun rights, and turning into a conservation and marksmanship organization, (they were proposing a 30 million dollar recreation center in Colo Springs, and getting clear out of lobbying and legal defense). Carter said, hell no, and executed the "revolt in Cincinnati" at the NRA Convention, siezed control away from the pacifists running the NRA.
Today we have the NRA/ILA because of the coup. You guys that have black rifles only have them because Neal Knox and Harlon Carter molded the NRA to be a defender of the 2A instead of a conservation society. Eventually the do-nothings regained control, and WLP is just the face of the do-nothings.
Burn it down.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, you can ignore the media and just look at their own nomination and election process. It's even more rigged and self-perpetuating than the Democrat Party.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Looking back over my membership of 40 plus years the NRA has done a tremendous amount of good. They have also looked the other way a lot and let a lot of BS laws go untouched. They have taken the approach of "let's find a common ground" instead a taking a hard stand against anything that infringes and all that does is slow the process of losing our rights. But we still lose them.

That's a pretty good illustration of how the idea of "bipartisanship" works in the worlds of both PACs and elected government bodies. Bipartisanship is fertilizer for their Money Tree.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How long has it been clear to the NRA that the majority of the membership had lost faith in Wayne? Whether warranted or unwarranted, when the membership that makes an organization's existence possible loses faith in the organization's leader, the leader has to go. Period. Wayne knew it and didn't have the decency to step down for years. The board knew it and didn't have the nuts to kick him out. Buttfugk the NRA.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We know you are a liberated woman and all Paul...but maybe ease up on the homo references.

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Out of curiosity....how much of what we "hate" about the NRA has come from actual credible information or from the massive MSM media anti NRA campaign that's been going on for a decade and a half or so?

I have certainly never seen the MSM complain that the NRA doesn’t do enough to support gun rights & compromises far too much. The internal corruption & misuse of funds was on our radar 7 years before I heard a peep out of MSM.

The anti- gunner’s accusations were always the ridiculous, “the NRA loves criminals & child killers” crap.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
For all the NRA haters that claimed they wouldn’t support the NRA until LaPierre was gone, I spoke to Philip Schreier today, a NRA museum director in Fairfax, Virginia. He was accompanied by Garry James, who many of you should know from his years writing for Guns and Ammo and The American Riflemen. Garry is now in Virginia working for the NRA.

I asked Phil what he thought about Wayne LaPierre and he didn’t seem interested in discussing the situation. When he realized that I knew Garry and we talked about guns and his friendship with Mike Venturino, Phil became more engaged. He told me that it will be settled in court and within 6 months there should be something different in the future of the NRA…

Shrapnel is right.

12344mag is RIGHT about saying Shrapnel is RIGHT.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.