Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Shrap, what you do and use is irrelevant to me, and vice versa I'm quite sure. If you decipher reports of real world actual use as trying to convince you of anything, then that's "you" problem, not me. Use what you want and I'll do the same. I couldn't care less.

Understood, but Huntsman made it clear he wouldn’t own one and I doubt he has had more days in the field with a Swaro than I have and find it funny how everyone is so quick to be critical on the Campfire…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jetjockey
My VXIII 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle almost hosed me last summer. Two days before leaving for Africa and I went to the range just to double check my Kimber which I was planing on using for plains game. First shot was 8” high and a little right, WTF. 2nd shot was close to aim point, and the third was way off as well. This particular scope has been back to Leupold before because it went tits up, and it seems it’s gone again. Luckily I had another VX3 that I swapped and got back on track. Now, Im thinking of swapping brands. I loved Leupolds because I thought they were great scopes for the price, and when I bought my last scope, cost was still an issue. But I’ve lost some confidence in them with heavier recoiling rifles. So, I’m thinking of putting a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with BRH reticle in my Kimber. Am I just being stupid or is the Swaro really with it?
Threads like this will just end up being 10 pages of folks arguing over what they trust the most. The fact of the matter is, most scopes made today will help you kill chit. Youll hear leupys are junk, swaro is junk, zeiss is junk. Nightforce is the only scope that will allow you to successfully harvest game. I have owned them all. Never had any of them fail. Any scope can fail, but after reading a thread like this, youll think that everything is junk and will not work lol. Opinions and options are great, but the point is, grain of salt type of thing

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Shrap, what you do and use is irrelevant to me, and vice versa I'm quite sure. If you decipher reports of real world actual use as trying to convince you of anything, then that's "you" problem, not me. Use what you want and I'll do the same. I couldn't care less.

Understood, but Huntsman made it clear he wouldn’t own one and I doubt he has had more days in the field with a Swaro than I have and find it funny how everyone is so quick to be critical on the Campfire…

I hear you. Seems like everyone nowadays has an emotional attachment to their gear that they paid hard earned money for. I'm probably the weird one.....I like and use what works for what I'm doing, no brand loyalty, none, zero, nada. When it doesn't work anymore, I find something that does. Killed over 60 African big game animals with my VX6. When people around here hear that out they schitttt their pants and respond much the same.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pete53
why not use the best ? Nightforce scopes that is what i am taking to Africa ,have used Nightforce out west in the field not in a truck on a 2-track , at my home state in the woods and tamarack swamps and while shooting bench rest competition. showing pictures of rifles and dead game animals is tacky i don`t need to brag i deal in facts ,with a Nightforce scope on my rifles.

Then again, not everyone is in love with carrying 3lb scopes around their rifles in Africa, especially when the odds of having to dial it are 99-1. Hope you have a great hunt though.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
why not use the best ? Nightforce scopes that is what i am taking to Africa ,have used Nightforce out west in the field not in a truck on a 2-track , at my home state in the woods and tamarack swamps and while shooting bench rest competition. showing pictures of rifles and dead game animals is tacky i don`t need to brag i deal in facts ,with a Nightforce scope on my rifles.

Then again, not everyone is in love with carrying 3lb scopes around their rifles in Africa, especially when the odds of having to dial it are 99-1. Hope you have a great hunt though.

The 2.5-10 NXS and 3-10 SHV are 19-22 Oz depending on whether you have a 32MM or 42MM Obj.

I currently have a 2.5-10x32 NXS on my 375 Talkeetna. I'm going to put a 1.5-6x42 Swaro into a set of Talley screw-lock rings and give it a whirl upon same.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly why i dont use nf. Too damn heavy

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just so folks know, the hunt was last summer and the VX3 I swapped from another gun worked perfectly. Longest shot was 220 yards on a waterbuck.

But, I’ve lost confidence in the scope that was on my Kimber, and that’s the reason for the post. I don’t plan on dialing because I dont need to shoot over 500 yards, and several of the reticles available compensate for that. The reason I mentioned the Swaro was because of weight. If weight wasn’t an issue, I’d probably run a S&B, but they are in the 21-22oz range, almost 10oz more than the Swaro. Same thing with the NF. Plus, it’s more of a classic gun and Im not really a fan of the tactical look of the NF.
I’m figured this would turn into some what of a d!ck measuring contest, but I do appreciate the responses.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

I hear you. Seems like everyone nowadays has an emotional attachment to their gear that they paid hard earned money for. I'm probably the weird one.....I like and use what works for what I'm doing, no brand loyalty, none, zero, nada. When it doesn't work anymore, I find something that does. Killed over 60 African big game animals with my VX6. When people around here hear that out they schitttt their pants and respond much the same.
Same here. Ive killed game with all of them, even a $30 tasco lol

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
On my last Africa trip, my son and I took three rifles. The plains game rifles had Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 scopes and the .375 had a Leupold VX-6 1-6x. The scopes all worked fine, but just in case we also had a backup scope for each rifle in QD rings. Luckily we didn't need the backups.

I've mostly had good luck with Leupolds but a few have had problems. I use several scope brands and generally prefer fairly light scopes under 16 ounces. But I do have a couple of Tract Toric 2-10x scopes that weigh 18.6 ounces and one SWFA 10x that's about the same weight. Other than target rifles I prefer not to go with heavier scopes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, all can have failures...and do. My issue is the last 5 Leupolds I've bought have ALL failed. 100%

Trijicon is the most obvious comparison based on length diameter, weight, etc. I have purchased 2 3-9x40 Accupoints in the last 3 years and 1 of the 2 was dead out of the box. 50%...but if I'd bought 5 would bet %age would be better... (We already know in the sample size it's better)

My "thang" is this... Leupold has always been vaunted for their service, and everyone knows their premium price for a medium product includes that amazing warranty. Yet, I returned a VX6 2-12 that came back and wasn't fixed. I returned my Dad's VX6 3-18 that came back and failed again in one mag. Most recently, I returned a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 and a VX-3 3.5-10x40 some 2 months back, and the Trijicon is back, remounted, and working great... The Leupold isn't even back and other than the initial "we have it" I haven't heard a thing.

[bleep] Leupold...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll take all the Leupolds and Swarovskis you guys are giving away. Lol

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bull64
Fck Leupold.I want my rifles topped with a scope from LOW in Japan…

I've had pretty good luck overall with LOW scopes. Other than the SWFA 3-9 which happens to be a scope I really like but I'm about to give up on. I have several of them and use them more than most other models in general but I've had at least 5 fail in the last dozen years.

Everyone says it's my fault except swfa and they just put me on a long list for another one. Those eho tell me it's my fault have never bother to tell me what I did wrong. I wish they would because my fieldcraft 6mm Creedmoor has one on it and it was always sub 1/2 moa. Now it's 2-3 moa and shifting around. That happened with at least 2 other 3-9's and 2 others just stopped adjusting windage 1 direction. Properly torqued in 6 screw swfa rings.

I guess any scope can have a failure so it's good to have a backup scope or sights or backup rifle. I got tired of waiting on a few 3-9 replacements so I took Chinese athelons instead one 4-16 and one 2-12. They're both still working fine and I've been running the 2-12 on a seekins element 7 prc without the brake.

I'm going to try another 2-12 on my fieldcraft 7-08. That light little gun has trashed 4 scopes, all my fault apparently despite trying different rings and lapping and aligning them. If it eats one of those I'm just going to put a swfa fixed 6 on it. I have yet to brake one of the 6x.

I started getting away from leupolds in the 90s when I started using a few LOW built weavers and liked that a click was a click. I had great luck with first gen weaver grandslams for years but after several years I think some of their springs went softer and groups started opening up with a few.

Then the gen 2 grand slams came out with dual springs and were good for a hunting scope but had crappy Burris ff2 style adjustment where the whole rear of the scope is turned to adjust power. Despite that for basic cheap scopes I still have maybe 5 gen 2 3-12 grandslams built by LOW maybe a dozen years ago and all are still working great. I've got a few on ARs and some on rifles for the kids. For a lighter weight non dialer scope they've been great. I've also had great luck with LOW built bushnell elites like LRHS and DMR 2 and 3s. The BE 3-12 LRHS is one of my all time favorite hunting scopes.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 01/29/24.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve had many Leupolds, haven’t had any problems. I had binoculars that failed, but they sent me a new pair.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Interesting thread on Rokslide about drop testing scopes.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This could get some legs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fshaw

Yeah, the guys over there won't wipe their assss without Form's permission. That drop test is a joke IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, the guys over there won't wipe their assss without Form's permission. That drop test is a joke IMO.

How so? The test looks objective.

Or is it just a joke because Leupolds can’t pass it?

I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I would be somewhat peeved if someone dropped one of my scoped rifles.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by jetjockey
My VXIII 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle almost hosed me last summer. Two days before leaving for Africa and I went to the range just to double check my Kimber which I was planing on using for plains game. First shot was 8” high and a little right, WTF. 2nd shot was close to aim point, and the third was way off as well. This particular scope has been back to Leupold before because it went tits up, and it seems it’s gone again. Luckily I had another VX3 that I swapped and got back on track. Now, Im thinking of swapping brands. I loved Leupolds because I thought they were great scopes for the price, and when I bought my last scope, cost was still an issue. But I’ve lost some confidence in them with heavier recoiling rifles. So, I’m thinking of putting a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with BRH reticle in my Kimber. Am I just being stupid or is the Swaro really with it?
Threads like this will just end up being 10 pages of folks arguing over what they trust the most. The fact of the matter is, most scopes made today will help you kill chit. Youll hear leupys are junk, swaro is junk, zeiss is junk. Nightforce is the only scope that will allow you to successfully harvest game. I have owned them all. Never had any of them fail. Any scope can fail, but after reading a thread like this, youll think that everything is junk and will not work lol. Opinions and options are great, but the point is, grain of salt type of thing

^ ^ yep

Lol, this thread is comical.

If you cant kill game with a Leupold or swaro, the issue is far more with the indian than the bow.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have been a leupold scope man since about 1970. I have never had a problem with a leupold scope and have used them in Africa several times, Alaska couple times, British Columbia 4 hunts and every year hunting deer and elk here. I have to admit most of my scopes are older vari-x II , vari-x III and vx3. Maybe just lucky but will only use leupold

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 63 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,611
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.