Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Txtrout
I'm curious on the nitride treatment. One of the selling points is that it will add "hundreds of feet per second" to you rifle. Did you notice any difference?
While Black Nitride treatment certainly improves the bore surface, someone is feeding you crock of baloney with that claim. Black Nitride has much to recommend it, without resorting to such foolishness. I’m sold on it:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Only the slide was treated.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Barreled frame, cylinder, crane, side plate and thumb piece were treated.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Barrel, receiver, hammer, breechblock, lever, trigger and all screws were treated. I couldn’t tell for sure whether the 5 hits on the pictured target were 4 and 1 or 3 and 2 @ 50 yards.

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I also thought it was a crock... The place that you use for the nitride treatment has the "increased velocity" claim as a benefit on their website.

However, I will say that it sure looked like they did an excellent job on your items.

I have a few projects that I'm considering having Nitrided now.

On the Stevens, did you add a longer LOP butt stock to it? It looks longer than normal to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Txtrout
I also thought it was a crock... The place that you use for the nitride treatment has the "increased velocity" claim as a benefit on their website.

On the Stevens, did you add a longer LOP butt stock to it? It looks longer than normal to me.
I do believe a slight increase in velocity may well be a side benefit of the improved bore surface resulting from the Black Nitride treatment. But, “hundreds of feet per second?” Though I didn’t actually check, I really don’t think my .30-30 cast bullet load, doing 1700 fps before treatment, was suddenly doing 1900+ fps after treatment. I suppose there could be some extremely high intensity cartridges for which a couple hundred fps would represent but a small percentage increase.

The pictured stock is what came on my Stevens Favorite Model of 1915 .22LR.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
waiting to get my 219/30-30 back from gunsmith.....occasional random misfires and occasional random "flyer". After lotsa fussin and cussin we decided that while the bore is still good over the years the hinge pin has developed the slightest amount of wear and the headspace has "stretched." Going to dedicate certain pieces of brass to this rifle only and neck size only and see if that cures it. Other solution would be drill and sleeve hinge pin and doing that suddenly i have doubled the cost of my rifle but not the value.
The nature of some older used firearms I suppose.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
waiting to get my 219/30-30 back from gunsmith.....occasional random misfires and occasional random "flyer". After lotsa fussin and cussin we decided that while the bore is still good over the years the hinge pin has developed the slightest amount of wear and the headspace has "stretched." Going to dedicate certain pieces of brass to this rifle only and neck size only and see if that cures it. Other solution would be drill and sleeve hinge pin and doing that suddenly i have doubled the cost of my rifle but not the value.
A few years ago, Larry Potterfield of Midway USA made a short instructional video in which he demonstrated the proper fitting of a stainless steel shim (using epoxy, as I recall) to the barrel lug of a break action shotgun where it contacts the hinge pin, as an effective means to tighten the action to its original snug closing fit. Seems like this could be just the thing to inexpensively correct a “stretched” 219.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've used a shim of an aluminum soda can to take up looseness on a break action and it works. Not as permanent as the stainless steel shim mentioned above but works

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the opportunity to watch Larry Potterfield’s video again this evening. More details:

The loose breech-barrel gap, before repair, measured .006”.

He used green Loctite, not epoxy, to hold the stainless shim in place, and carefully trimmed the overhanging shim stock even with the sides of the barrel lug.

The initial result was that the action wouldn’t quite close. This was remedied by sooting the rear of the barrel to disclose the high spots when breech closure was attempted. Those shiny high spots were lightly filed. Re-sooting and re-filing were repeated until the breech could first easily close, exhibiting even barrel-breech contact all the way ‘round, with no gap whatsoever - just like a Holland & Holland.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Uncle Vernon bought one in 30-30 at a farm auction back in the late 1970's. It showed quite a lot of wear but shot well enough to down a stack of deer. I always liked it and wanted to buy it from him but no go. Eventually this old reliable rifle went to a cousin who continues to hunt with it. Open sights have always been good enough for their hunts within the Allegheny Highlands of western Pennsylvania. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m a fan of nitride as well, though mine have all been factory finished. Wish more companies used it, especially since most have cut back on SS offerings. Nitride over SS is the best, as on S&W pistols and some Knight MLs.

Very handsome, as well as practical.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’m a fan of nitride as well, though mine have all been factory finished. Wish more companies used it, especially since most have cut back on SS offerings. Nitride over SS is the best, as on S&W pistols and some Knight MLs.
👍

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nitrocarburization is a thermochemical diffusion process. Nitrogen, carbon, and a very small number of oxygen atoms diffuse into the surface of steel. Black Nitride is a proprietary variation on that process offered by H&M Metal Processing of Akron, OH, which incorporates some desirable additional qualities. A similar treatment process, under the name Melonite, is offered by Burlington Engineering of Orange, CA, and is used by some gun manufacturers on their barrels.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.