Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my 257 Weatherby mag. shoots 103 gr. Hammer Hunter bullets better than any other brand i have tried , same with my 257 Roberts the slow twist normal rifles they do shoot better with the 75 gr. Hammer Hunters too. no i get no deal from Hammer bullets but this brand bullet shoots well and does kill game very good . but i also hate that these liberals want us to quit using lead even though these copper bullets do seem to shoot better.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pete, it sucks but I wouldn’t be too surprised if we weren’t all lead free ultimately. What starts in CA often metastasizes eastward toward the rest of us.

Hope not, but it is reassuring to see technological advances being made with non lead projectiles. Hammer, Cutting Edge and Lehigh are three companies that come to mind. I wish them well.

I’ve used CEB and Hammer, not Lehigh. They are impressive. Of course we have Barnes, which set the standard for mono’s and have stood the test of time.

Hammer is my fav so far, based on accuracy and terminal performance. Weatherby seems impressed, now loading Hammer bullets in some of their factory ammo.

I follow your posts and look forward to your future work with these bullets.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Pete, it sucks but I wouldn’t be too surprised if we weren’t all lead free ultimately. What starts in CA often metastasizes eastward toward the rest of us.

Hope not, but it is reassuring to see technological advances being made with non lead projectiles. Hammer, Cutting Edge and Lehigh are three companies that come to mind. I wish them well.

I’ve used CEB and Hammer, not Lehigh. They are impressive. Of course we have Barnes, which set the standard for mono’s and have stood the test of time.

Hammer is my fav so far, based on accuracy and terminal performance. Weatherby seems impressed, now loading Hammer bullets in some of their factory ammo.

I follow your posts and look forward to your future work with these bullets.

DF

i was at the new Weatherby factory September 2022 great people ,we talked about Hammer bullets they were impressed too with Hammer bullets. i should mention this i was having some trouble with a 10 year old Weatherby Mark 5 rifle i had installed by a machinist friend in Minnesota a new Brux barrel chambered in 257 Weatherby Mag.. i was having trouble with the follower believe it or not they worked on this rifle right away, i had no appointment and fixed the problem with new parts for free ! what a great company Weatherby is for doing this for a person to just walk in with a rifle with no appointment and then we got a free tour in the custom shop too. it was amazing ! Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 01/20/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pretty amazing company and people.

I wish them well.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's great that they took the time for you and fixed your rifle to boot. I have two Weatherby rifles both Ultra Light models a 257 Wby and a 7MM-08. Both are great rifles and have been trouble free.
I have used a varity of 100 grain bullets in my Roberts with no issues. I like the high soulder shot as well and the deer or antelope fold up like a cheap suit.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I stockpiled the 120gr HP for my .25-06. They were Joyce Hornady's choice for the .257 Weatherby he favored. They are tougher than the lead tipped bullets and very effective.[/quote]

Only bullet I used in my Mod 700 Classic 257 Ackley Improved, pure wicked killer!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad they worked for you. I shot one 100 pound doe at 30yds. with that 120gr. HP in my .257 Rob.
It ran about 75yds. No blood found anywhere. After 30 min. of looking for a spot of blood, I gave up and walked in the direction it went in the pines. It had a tiny exit hole smaller than a pencil. It took me forever to find the entry hole. It was shot high through both lungs. Lucky I found it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GSPfan
It's great that they took the time for you and fixed your rifle to boot. I have two Weatherby rifles both Ultra Light models a 257 Wby and a 7MM-08. Both are great rifles and have been trouble free.
I have used a varity of 100 grain bullets in my Roberts with no issues. I like the high shoulder shot as well and the deer or antelope fold up like a cheap suit.
I was glad to see them move out of California. They'll flourish in their new firearm friendly location.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by tx270
I'm still running the Hornady 100 gr spire point out of my Ruger 1-A 257 Bob, because I was lucky enough to snatch 4 boxes of them from someone selling them here 3-4 yrs ago. They work great on WT and hogs, often a bang flop at closer ranges, <200 yards. I'm running 45.5 gr of H4350 behind them, MV is 3130 fps average.

Bill
Yeah they work.

26” barrel?

DF
22"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Nice collection! One comment I'll make is that some are Interlocks and some are pre-Interlocks. It generally doesn't make much difference when they hit game, because Hornady used a lead alloy for their cores even before Interlocks that was a little harder than most other companies used in cup-and-cores back then--one reason Hornady Spire Points had a reputation for holding together better back then than most other popular C&Cs. That said, the Interlock ring did improve 'em, in my experience.

I sold the non-Interlocks online yesterday. They sold quickly. The rest will keep me going.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I bet you will be surprised how fast the deer will die. I have come to realize , in theory , that the smaller the bullet the faster they die. I have used 100 gr. in .243 WIn and they die as fast or faster than my .270 WIn.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
In 52 years of deer hunting, I've had more "bang/flops" with the 100 gr spire point in my .257R than all the other calibers combined. I aim just behind the shoulder as I butcher my own deer and hate bloodshot shoulders.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by remaction
In 52 years of deer hunting, I've had more "bang/flops" with the 100 gr spire point in my .257R than all the other calibers combined. I aim just behind the shoulder as I butcher my own deer and hate bloodshot shoulders.

ROUNDOAK, IS THAT YOU ??

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about what bullet and what speed kills the fastest. But this load on my 7x57 was mighty fast. The 4 deer I shot with this load seemed to vanish into the brush (they all dropped straight down). I believe I've seen this happen more than a few times with other loads and cartridges, but this did it 4 times in a row.

7x57 Remington 700 Mountain 120 grain Barnes TTSX, 9 ½, 45.5 grains Varget, 0.54 MOA

I've seen a huge hole for an entrance wound (softball size) and significant damage inside the deer with this load:

25-06 Remington 700 ADL, 117 grain SST, 54 grain 4831sc, 0.56 MOA

That deer ran maybe 60 yards.

I consider the 100 grain interlock to be the best cup and core bullet for the 25-06. When I go to gun shows, I buy all of those bullets that I can find. They just work great.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've pretty much settled on Nosler 100 & 115 Partions and 100 & 115 Balistic Tips. Have a few others sprinkled in, but Noslers are my hunting bullets. Powders are H-4350, Hybrid 100V, H-4831, H-4895. Federal and CCI.

Loaded in several 257R. 3000 to 3200fps depending on load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ed
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
I don't know about what bullet and what speed kills the fastest. But this load on my 7x57 was mighty fast. The 4 deer I shot with this load seemed to vanish into the brush (they all dropped straight down). I believe I've seen this happen more than a few times with other loads and cartridges, but this did it 4 times in a row.

7x57 Remington 700 Mountain 120 grain Barnes TTSX, 9 ½, 45.5 grains Varget, 0.54 MOA

I've seen a huge hole for an entrance wound (softball size) and significant damage inside the deer with this load

I have seen the same thing with light for caliber X bullets at top velocity. I was testing 110gn X bullets in a .270 Winchester about 30 years ago and the entrance hole was larger than the exit and made a loud "Whap" when they hit. Instap flops every time.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by ihookem

ROUNDOAK, IS THAT YOU ??

I do not know "Roundoak", but it sounds like he may have similar experience...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

This ^^^^^^

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.