Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In all my years of reloading I’ve only did it once, when I was forced to by the lack of elasticity in my .243 Winchester necks. Had a nice varmit/target rifle and I shot the same 60 Hornday cases over & over. My load was mild so the primer pocket’s stayed usable for like 12 reloads, think I annealed after shot 7-8.

Do any of you have a routine, or set number of rounds fired when you know it’s time to anneal?

We deal in lead, friend.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On 4th reload for non mag and 3rd reload for mag cartridges. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 to 5 firings seems to work well for me.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every firing if you want consistency. How could you do something different every time and expect different results?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I usually anneal after every 4 firings.

Have experimented considerably, and found that even works with my my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle, which results in the same .15" to .20" 5-shot groups as annealing after ever shot. But it might not work that way with other brands of brass--or other rifles....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drop_point
Every firing if you want consistency. How could you do something different every time and expect different results?

You have got to be kidding

We deal in lead, friend.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 41rem
Originally Posted by drop_point

You have got to be kidding

Not at all. Talk to the best shooters in the world and see what they say.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When I was shooting for a living it was every five shots with gas...now I shoot for fun it is every shot with amp.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I want the utmost in muzzle speed consistency for LR applications, I use induction annealing every firing. Where the application is less demanding, such as in most of my hunting rifles, I anneal every 4 firings.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Every 3rd time with the exception of my M1a. They are hell on brass. The most you can realistically expect is three firings from a piece of brass. I anneal every time on those .308 cases.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
All my new brass I anneal regardless. After that, on the 3rd or 4th go-around.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After every firing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Puddle
All my new brass I anneal regardless. After that, on the 3rd or 4th go-around.
I just did this, for the first time ever, on a batch of Nosler blem .243 cases from SPS (no idea if it would have been indicated just as much with "not blem" Nosler cases). I noted the neck tension seemed too high when seating bullets in the new Nosler cases compared with a batch of once-fired Winchester cases that I'd annealed as part of the case prep process to work up loads in my friend's newly inherited Rem 788. On a whim, I annealed a handful of new Nosler cases and compared their performance to unannealed. The annealed cases were clearly more accurate. So, I went ahead an annealed the whole batch of new cases. I've never done that but in this case, it proved to be worth it.

Live and learn
Rex

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With unknown range brass I anneal after the 2nd firing. It's worked so far.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
after 5th or 6th firings.

except the 35/30-30 Starline brass. it is on the 14th or 15th firing and it has yet to be annealed.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have experimented considerably, and found that even works with my my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle, which results in the same .15" to .20" 5-shot groups as annealing after ever shot. But it might not work that way with other brands of brass--or other rifles....

John, on my 30BR chambers a light touch up every 7 firings keeps the shoulders where the die is set. After that, they start to get a bit snuggish.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
3 to 5 firings seems to work well for me.
Works for me. Can't see the need to anneal every loading for a hunting round.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John, on my 30BR chambers a light touch up every 7 firings keeps the shoulders where the die is set. After that, they start to get a bit snuggish.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Thanks for that info, Al!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My range buddies. who are long range accuracy buffs, anneal after every firing. I was doing it after every 3rd firing with the candle method but since I bought an annealing machine, I will do it after every firing. It is a lot easier now and being retired, I have the time. It only takes minutes with the machine anyway.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For most cartridges, I never do.
For cases that have been reworked such as 280AI, I anneal every 5 reloads.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.