Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hello all, question on a restored 1894, the owner claims it was done by Turnbull a long time back, complete restoration with upgraded exhibition wood and in the original 38-55 caliber the rifle was in before restoration. Apparently got all new internals new Barrel, hasn't been fired hardly at all since the restoration. Date by serial number puts it at 1901...is $3k a fair price for a non original parts full restoration (frame is original), in 99% condition...I know Turnbull is around $5500 now for a complete restoration with wood and metal finish when I talked with them...

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
IMO that narrow market of full restorations is tricky business. Yes they are beautiful, expertly done, but the real Win Collectors Society guys tend to avoid them, seemingly to prefer original well maintained guns. I hear them talking the last few years using the word ...conservation... as applies to conserving originals. Hopefully you will find the right guy to take it at the price you like.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Turnbull has a complete records file and can verify if it was their work or not years ago if your interested. They've helped out many who needed to have the pertinent information in moving forward with their honest records. IMO!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I called them, today they don't have records of things before the 90's, I was told

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Can you send them a pic of the gun? They may be able to recognize their work.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I can't and won't tell you what it might be worth, that is ultimately up to you, however, I have an 86 that I purchased as a project. It came to me with an original buttstock, but no fore wood. A new 26 inch aftermarket octagon barrel chambered in 45 70 and original mag tube. I approached my local, semi retired gunsmith who is very picky on what he does, but has an affinity for old who stated he'd take it on. I told him I wanted a 86 short rifle with winchester style checkering. He did state it would be rust blued and he had the wood. Ironically, his partner stated I was going to screw it up as they did not make a short rifle and it should remain in the 26 inch configuration. I disagreed and with him, and went with the short rifle. Anyway, I asked the guy doing the work if he would polish and send the action, barrel, lever, end cap, and buttplate to Turnbull for case coloring, and to have the barrel roll marked with the winchester markings. Although I could have asked for the p proof, I opted not to simply because I didn't want anyone thinking I would try and pass it for something it was not. Anyway, it came back to me as I asked, and when the smith handed it to me he stated, "as far as im concerned, that is the perfect rifle". The wood he put on is nice. Not exhibition grade but nice. At the time I did contemplate putting it on GB with a start of 5k. I didnt because I was afraid someone might bid. I took it to a gunshow because I did want to ask some winchester guys for their thought on value and was told, " its worth what you can get", lmao. However, had another winchester guy approach and ask what I wanted to do with it. I explained the above to him and his reply was, "yeah, I do that on trade at my table". He had some original stuff but obviously over priced so I left with mine.

I have seen a colt saa that was alleged to be Turnbull with no real proof. The price was 2500, but, this was several years back so it was what I thought was a bunch of money for a "refinished" colt. However, the second time I looked at it, I felt that it was so well done, it probably was Turnbull. Doesnt really matter, whats done is done. Metal finish is excellent and with the one piece ivory grips I built and fitted, that revolver is wort the 2 I gave. Unfortunately it went to my dad, lol.

I know that the purist may turn up their nose, and I get it. They can afford to. However, I do think there is something to be said for conservation, they ain't making them anymore! That choice is yours IMHO. I'm happy with my 86, its gorgeous, and, its not idiot proof with some extra safety. I have built model 70s in original calibers that I will probably never be able to afford for that reason, I want to shoot them. I guess if youre buying the rifle because it is well done, in a caliber you want to play with, and because you want it, then pull the trigger. If youre buying it because it "may be Turnbull, and you're investing", then don't without the documentation. Even then, someone who commisions the rifle is probably willing to pay more at the time.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
that caliber sure is right though, lol.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tried to delete the previous post, but!! What I wanted to say was I have a 1956 Mod 84 that has only 10 rounds through it. It is in as new shape, but is just plain and that is the way that it will stay. I do have an 1886 in 40-65 that is having a new stock whittled for it as I type. I have a new 40-65 replacement barrel with the factory roil stamps, and it will have the metal refinished as it left the factory in 1891. I think you should do what makes you happy and not the guy sitting at a gun show table.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the opinions

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,419
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.