-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a high shoulder shot, you don't necessarily have to "break" bones. It just has to have enough "oomph" to disrupt the CNS. Either shock the CNS or dislocate a vertebra enough to compromise the CNS. Nerves are pretty delicate.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
With a high shoulder shot, you don't necessarily have to "break" bones. It just has to have enough "oomph" to disrupt the CNS. Either shock the CNS or dislocate a vertebra enough to compromise the CNS. Nerves are pretty delicate.
I've hunted since I was 7 or so. I've guided most of my life.

I hate high shoulder shots. They have the least room for error that can end up as a non fatal wound.

Center the lungs. Its all one needs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
When they were checking drops from a dead rest off the pickup, the three hundred yard group looks to be around 9 inches for 3 shots, if I'm guesstimating it right with the tape on the left of the picture. So then, shooting the elk, no rest offhand .......

The video doesn't show his set-up and the rifle isn't visible when he takes the shot. I doubt he fired offhand with no support. Why would he need to do that, he was stationary, hunting a big field, and expecting a fairly long shot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We all know Elk are tough critters

As mentioned double lung 'em & they'll die

Maybe not where you want them to............):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am disappointed they didn’t have the Nosler partitions 170 RN to try. It was a very informative and entertaining video!

My records show I settled on the 160 FTX with 33 LVR powder and Magnum CCI primers in the 30/30

43 grains LVR in the 300 savage. 39 grains in the 308 MX. My 308 MX 336s don’t have sticky extraction but the lever pops open. So I wonder if a gunsmith may be able to tighten the lever hold?

It seems I never load lever actions towards the higher end of the data. Even though the data is derived from lever actions?

There are sure some great reports from people trying the LVR powder and the FTX bullet in the 35 Remington. But I haven’t really worked it up myself.

The author of terminal ballistics research believes LVR powder would preform well in the 308 Winchester.
Stuff works great in my 32 Special.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by smokepole
When they were checking drops from a dead rest off the pickup, the three hundred yard group looks to be around 9 inches for 3 shots, if I'm guesstimating it right with the tape on the left of the picture. So then, shooting the elk, no rest offhand .......

The video doesn't show his set-up and the rifle isn't visible when he takes the shot. I doubt he fired offhand with no support. Why would he need to do that, he was stationary, hunting a big field, and expecting a fairly long shot.

Re play around 21:07.... why would he pull it off a rest if he was using one, and then chamber a round in front of the camera?
But, who knows, it's incomprehensible to me why anyone would consider a .30-30 as an elk gun at 800 ft lbs at 340 yards, unless they stood to make some money off youtube clicks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you want to and can do it, then do it. Its your ethics. Not mine or theirs. I don't agree with everything. But I have sure taken a lot of game over the years with calibers most say won't work...

I'd rather someone shoot 300 with a 30-30 that knows what they are doing, than 100 with a boresighted gun... and that happens all the time.

I'd rather someone shoot with a less powerful gun and hit it right than miss or gun shoot with a magnum.

There are times you really need mag power. But its actually somewhat rare.

Now get back to your Swift hate posts.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Re play around 21:07.... why would he pull it off a rest if he was using one, and then chamber a round in front of the camera?

Maybe the lever would have hit before fully stroking?

May have all been editing too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
340 yds ain’t that far

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by McInnis
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not many people could do that, most shouldn’t even try.
Any gun will kill most animals. Bullet placement is the name of the game.
But most hunters don’t put in the time to be excellent shots.
Reon
When 340 yard shots are something most people can't do, then people need to train a bit harder.... 300 is a gimme shot. As long as the wind isn't howling moving your gun around and blowing the bullet around.

I’ve been waiting for this.
Was it everything you hoped for?

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My dad used to go out west to Colorado and Wyoming every year with a.group of guys west of here in Arkansas. Some guy went with them and took a 30-30. They ribbed him for bringing an Iron sighted 30-30. He said he could kill a deer or elk as far as he could see one. One day they were in camp and saw a Mule deer buck on the next mountain. Dad said it was over half a mile and way to far to shoot one. Somebody pointed it out to 30-30 guy and said there's a buck to shoot. Dad said he started shooting at it. It was so far away that the shots didn't disturb the deer. The guy kept shooting and deep into the 3rd box of shells the guy hit it in the head and killed it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
B

I have a better question. The guy is obviously not a rookie. He was set up watching over a field where he knew the elk would not be close

Why would an experienced hunter in that situation not have a rest or shooting sticks, and not use them? He had all the time in the world.

If not a rest, he had plenty of time to get into a stable seated position.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeppers love the 32 WS.

Now that’s what he should have been using!

I settled on 37 grains LVR CCI 250 s and the HDY 165 FTX.

They are probably saving this “ big bore” when they draw a bull tag!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Elk dropped fast, legs folded instantly. Not a boiler room or lung shot, thats for sure. I'd say pretty high chance its spine. The way the back legs folded, I am going with spine above the liver... maybe further back? Could be wrong. Dont think I am.

I've had several one shot kills on deer from 225-250 with a big, very slow, old conical fired from a ML. I didnt put mine on youtube though, so not as cool.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I really like the 30-30 cartridge, but it does have its limits. I have used them to kill everything from ducks to a buffalo. I do know it had its limits. The elk I shot at 200 yards was broadside and took 2 bullets and several minutes to die. One bullet exited the other remain and barely showed any expansion. I was using 170 Remington Mushroom Cor-Lokts from the 1960's. My grandson used a 30-30 Marlin and Federal 125 grain hollow points to kill his first antelope when he was 12. At 225 yards he hit it in the lungs but far back. It never took a step and required 4 more hits to make it finally lay down. One shot was broadside through the head. Upon skinning it out there appeared to be no expansion. Exit holes were the same size as the entrance holes. Still love and use the caliber, but I do know its limits. One sleeps under the seat of my truck and has for years.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Grew up using a 30/30. Still a favorite especially hiking around in the beartooths. My favorite bullet for deer and antelope is the Speer 130 flat nose. Knocks them down and exits. I’ll load the nosler 170 partition, the 170 Swift out the 190 Barnes for bigger stuff and protection. Nice to pack around a light, very handy rifle that has some power. When we had more elk, I’ve used the wicked little thirty on cows also. Works quite well. Nowadays I’m using a 308 with 200 grain partitions. Certainly don’t need all that for an elk…..

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Only problem with this is that his 30-30 is hideous!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Only problem with this is that his 30-30 is hideous!

LOL, no doubt but the elk on the ground was beautiful .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
As for the 330-yard elk, one shot and down, this is a sign of a spine shot and could be done with any caliber.

My thought exactly. What if she had taken a bullet in the lungs? Or the shoulder knuckle?

Was the bullet still within the performance window (I’m guessing 1600-1800 fps) at 340 yards?

P

The age-old question, "at what point in the elk's demise did the bullet fail to perform."

You’re missing the point.

P
Usually when people say “at what point in the elk’s demise did the bullet fail to perform” they lack foresight to efficacy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
340 yds ain’t that far

But it is for a 30-30. That's the point. I would've liked to see a lung shot. See if he ever recovered it

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.