Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff gang. Dan, hard to beat your record with 22 Shorts smile

Jack, I understand. Never had a 223 personally that equally a 221 or 222. No doubt others have different results.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
Good stuff gang. Dan, hard to beat your record with 22 Shorts smile

Jack, I understand. Never had a 223 personally that equally a 221 or 222. No doubt others have different results.

Your thread is making me want to pull the Chuckster out, and maybe scope it. That rifle shoots pretty dang well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought a Browning T Bolt in 17 HMR which is a very nice and accurate rifle and I like the 10 round magazine. I also have Coopers in 22LR, 22 WM, and 17 HMR. The downside to them is the clip only holds 3 in the 22 WM and 17 HMR. Accuracy wise for the difference in cost the Browning is the way to go unless you just like pretty which I do. I like the fit and feel of the Coopers if I close my eyes I can't tell if it's a rimfire or centerfire. There spendy for sure but accurate and for me anyway worth it in the long run.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BSA - might as well enjoy all of them smile

No doubt Coopers are/were top notch. IDK about the company since changes were made along the way. It seems they and Kimber were revered early on. I wonder how Annies compare to the Coopers.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
BSA - might as well enjoy all of them smile

No doubt Coopers are/were top notch. IDK about the company since changes were made along the way. It seems they and Kimber were revered early on. I wonder how Annies compare to the Coopers.

I agree. That is the fun part. Then every once in a while, you find a sleeper. One that is beautiful is the icing on the cake though. Or maybe a deal you can't pass up. I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but I'm usually pretty bored with rimfires, but my girlfriend has wanted to shoot rifles lately, and it's a lot cheaper to shoot 22lr!!! Ha ha.. So, now you know the rest of the story.. The reason I have recently started a few threads in this forum. Been shooting more 22lr lately. When I was a kid, I hunted the hell out of them. Wore out a Marlin 60, and a couple 10/22's. That poor Marlin was funny, it was so worn out that it would go full auto if you held the trigger just right.

So, are you going to get a T1X, and have it rebarreled? The chuckster I posted a pic of was my dads. He did a damn good job of wearing that rifle out, when he was a kid, but he took great care of it. I had to replace just about all the internals in that rifle. Springs, extractors, ejector, hammer etc. etc..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Back in the early 60's I hunted a lot of Red Fox, mainly for the bounty. The only rifle I had was a Remington Nylon 66 in 22lr. The 22lr did not work all that well as a one shot DRT, so having a tube with a lot of rounds helped. One day while reading an outdoor magazine I saw an ad for Win. 22 mag. hp's and in the background was a Red Fox and I believe a Groundhog was there also. Anyway, it indicated that this new, new to me, 22 mag. round for Fox was all that and a bag of chips. That did it, I had to have one. My Dad and I search far and wide for a rifle in 22 mag., finally we found one in a small country gun store and off brand, but still, the elite 22 mag. I bought it, but being still quite the novice, the Store owner had to set it up with a scope and thankfully had a range behind his store. With taken care of, off I went with a Savage/Anschutz 164M and a 4X Weaver scope. Boy was I a happy lad.
With Win. 22 mag. hp's, I had zero runners from that time on. Back then we did not have any Coyotes so it was quite some years before I had a chance to try the Mag. out on them. Yes, it works quite well with the Win. HP round. It of course is not a long distance Coyote round, but I'm comfortable with mine out to about 150yds. And in my area, that is a long shot unless your standing on main street. LOL
The 22mag. is still a round I really like. I know it doesn't have the accuracy of the 17HMR, but as a hunting round it is quite adequate.
Personally I would not feel comfortable shooting Coyotes with the Hornady 30g. or any other 30gr. for that matter. Back when I bought my first 22 mag. I never shot it for groups, my allowance wouldn't support a lot of 22 mag. ammo, plus 12 ga., plus 22lr. As I think about those days, I pretty much hit whatever I aimed at with the Annie mag. and never gave a second thought that it might not shoot bug holes. LOL Years later when I benched the Anschutz using the outstanding Win. 40gr.hp, it was slightly disappointing. Minute of Fox or Coyote it was, but 1 1/2" was the BEST groups it shot. I still have that rifle, don't use it much now days, but it still ranks at the top of any rimfire I have. The CZ mag. I only had for a very short time didn't shoot the Win. ammo any better than the Annie, but a Sako Quad I have is outstanding with the Win. The RAR is not so good with Win. but more than makes up for it with the Hornady.
As for Coyote/Fox magnum ammo, make mine Win. Super X 40gr. hp's. The Win. ad back in the 1960's didn't lie and that ammo is still tops for Coyote/Fox in my book.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Back in the early 60's I hunted a lot of Red Fox, mainly for the bounty. The only rifle I had was a Remington Nylon 66 in 22lr. The 22lr did not work all that well as a one shot DRT, so having a tube with a lot of rounds helped. One day while reading an outdoor magazine I saw an ad for Win. 22 mag. hp's and in the background was a Red Fox and I believe a Groundhog was there also. Anyway, it indicated that this new, new to me, 22 mag. round for Fox was all that and a bag of chips. That did it, I had to have one. My Dad and I search far and wide for a rifle in 22 mag., finally we found one in a small country gun store and off brand, but still, the elite 22 mag. I bought it, but being still quite the novice, the Store owner had to set it up with a scope and thankfully had a range behind his store. With taken care of, off I went with a Savage/Anschutz 164M and a 4X Weaver scope. Boy was I a happy lad.
With Win. 22 mag. hp's, I had zero runners from that time on. Back then we did not have any Coyotes so it was quite some years before I had a chance to try the Mag. out on them. Yes, it works quite well with the Win. HP round. It of course is not a long distance Coyote round, but I'm comfortable with mine out to about 150yds. And in my area, that is a long shot unless your standing on main street. LOL
The 22mag. is still a round I really like. I know it doesn't have the accuracy of the 17HMR, but as a hunting round it is quite adequate.
Personally I would not feel comfortable shooting Coyotes with the Hornady 30g. or any other 30gr. for that matter. Back when I bought my first 22 mag. I never shot it for groups, my allowance wouldn't support a lot of 22 mag. ammo, plus 12 ga., plus 22lr. As I think about those days, I pretty much hit whatever I aimed at with the Annie mag. and never gave a second thought that it might not shoot bug holes. LOL Years later when I benched the Anschutz using the outstanding Win. 40gr.hp, it was slightly disappointing. Minute of Fox or Coyote it was, but 1 1/2" was the BEST groups it shot. I still have that rifle, don't use it much now days, but it still ranks at the top of any rimfire I have. The CZ mag. I only had for a very short time didn't shoot the Win. ammo any better than the Annie, but a Sako Quad I have is outstanding with the Win. The RAR is not so good with Win. but more than makes up for it with the Hornady.
As for Coyote/Fox magnum ammo, make mine Win. Super X 40gr. hp's. The Win. ad back in the 1960's didn't lie and that ammo is still tops for Coyote/Fox in my book.

Good pos K22. The 22wmr is definitely a step up above the 22lr. If you ever get a chance to try the 50gr Federal JHP, you'd probably like that one too. Especially on bigger yotes.

Talking about accuracy, the old Mossberg 640KD that I posted a pic of the other day:

Before I had a "target" rifle, I used my dad's old Chuckster. Set it up with some Mossberg apertures and had a blast. I remember one of the first times I used it in one of my club's rimfire shoots. I didn't have a spotter/someone spotting for me. I had previously sighted the rifle in, and it was shooting great. In that particular shoot, I fired my first shot, and it was high and to the right. That was a cold clean bore, but I thought, that was weird, the rifle was dialed in the day before. So, stupidly, I held low and left to make up for the first shot, and fired off the remaining 9 shots.

Here's the target:

I felt stupid, when I looked through the spotter after my last shot was fired. Lesson learned!!!! The rifle shoots much better with a scope. The Mossberg front sight, isn't the best for target work. With this being said, some 22WMR's can be very accurate. I also agree with you about the lighter weight poly tipped bullets. Those were not designed for bigger critters, like yotes. Sage rats, ground squirrels, squirrels and jackrabbits and targets are what those are meant for..

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Nice Chuckster bsa. Those old Mossbergs were very good shooters and they had some interesting stock concepts back then.
I have tried the Fed. 50gr. , but wasn't to fond of the larger arc and drop. When NC finally changed their laws on Coyote hunting after the other seasons were done, I went back to the tried and trusted 17 Rem. and occasionally the 204. That was back when pelts had some value, now that they don't around here I'll go back to the awesome 22 mag.
I should find a 22 mag. sporter barrel for the CZ 457 and use it occasionally, but at some point, and I hope soon, it will be mainly a 17HM2.
Little under the weather right now, but when I'm back in form I'm going to play around with the Action screw torque on the RAR and see if I can't make it shoot groups on par with the Hornady 30, using the Win. Super X 40gr. hp.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Nice Chuckster bsa. Those old Mossbergs were very good shooters and they had some interesting stock concepts back then.
I have tried the Fed. 50gr. , but wasn't to fond of the larger arc and drop. When NC finally changed their laws on Coyote hunting after the other seasons were done, I went back to the tried and trusted 17 Rem. and occasionally the 204. That was back when pelts had some value, now that they don't around here I'll go back to the awesome 22 mag.
I should find a 22 mag. sporter barrel for the CZ 457 and use it occasionally, but at some point, and I hope soon, it will be mainly a 17HM2.
Little under the weather right now, but when I'm back in form I'm going to play around with the Action screw torque on the RAR and see if I can't make it shoot groups on par with the Hornady 30, using the Win. Super X 40gr. hp.

Those Hornady 30gr v-max shoot very well in my 22WMR rifles. The RAR seemed to like them the best, out of everything I tried. Have you tried the Winchester dynapoints in your rifle? Those always seemed to shoot very well, but the poi shift was weird. Seemed like they would work good on critters though.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have not tried the Dynapoints in 22mag. but have shot a lot of them in 22lr. Amazing how well they shot.
I have Rem. 40gr. in both hp and sp along with the 33gr., Win. Supreme, CCI, some Federal 50gr. and the 30gr. using an alleged match grade Sierra hp.
Also have some PMC Predator 40gr. hp which shoot darn good.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
I have not tried the Dynapoints in 22mag. but have shot a lot of them in 22lr. Amazing how well they shot.
I have Rem. 40gr. in both hp and sp along with the 33gr., Win. Supreme, CCI, some Federal 50gr. and the 30gr. using an alleged match grade Sierra hp.
Also have some PMC Predator 40gr. hp which shoot darn good.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Nice, that's a good selection. My Chuckster really likes the Remington 33gr accutip. It definitely pays to try different types of ammo, just like we do with the 22lr's.

BSA MAGA
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff guys.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K22

My Bear Creek puts the 50 Fed and 30 Hornady in the same spot at 50. Haven’t tried the 50 past that yet. A gel test I watched showed the 50 not expanding much. I bought a bunch for small game, but will use the 30s for pests. Need to do some field testing before the season closes.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My BRNO ZKM-611 is pretty accurate with the loads it likes.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by EdM
My BRNO ZKM-611 is pretty accurate with the loads it likes.

Those are great rifles and yours shows why. Nice.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I took the Cooper Custom Classic 17HMR to the range to adjust for the change to FMJ VS the game point. A minor adjustment and it's just a ragged hole at 50 yards. Now I just need the weather to cooperate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lothar Walther also makes a drop in .22 WMR barrel for the Tikka.

Tarquin
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
EdM - nice work! Those are nice shooting indeed. Browning could take a lesson....for their SA-22 and even BL-22, if only in WMR.

GSOfan, that's a nice one. Tarquin, that's a nice option. Thanks folks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 60 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,549
Posts18,472,957
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.