Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Had this a good while. What is it worth? I looked on GunBroker, couldn’t find one like it, bought it 20 years ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/30/24.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you buy it new? Is that a Boyds stock?

GOA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hanco
Had this a good while. What is it worth? I looked on GunBroker, couldn’t find one like it, bought it 20 years ago.

It's an oldschool target model with a hammer forged target barrel. Looks all factory to me. Good rifles, but those barrels were hit and miss (more miss) for accuracy/precision. That is the stainless version, which sells for a bit more than the blued model. I'd put a price on it of about $375.00. I've seen like new blued versions for $275.00, as an example.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger Target Model by the looks of it. They made them in stainless and blued with the same laminated stock.

20" barrel with a sort of spiral design, flat space on top that says Ruger Hammer Forged - correct?

Asking prices are around $500 to $600 these days.

Here are two blued ones:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1031383070

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1017598377

Stainless in pepper laminate: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1030339038

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
but those barrels were hit and miss (more miss) for accuracy/precision.

Yep, my .920 cheapo butler creek barrel would outshoot both my blued and stainless factory target barrels.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
but those barrels were hit and miss (more miss) for accuracy/precision.

Yep, my .920 cheapo butler creek barrel would outshoot both my blued and stainless factory target barrels.

After a couple bad ones, I gave up on them. Green mountain and Kidd are both much better options if you want a good shooting barrel. Those Butler creek barrels and Adams and Bennet's were not too bad, either, for less expensive .920 aftermarket barrels.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
10/22 T

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Yes, bought it just like it is, probably shot it 50 times maybe. It shot real well as I recall. I had it figured out how many clicks to get from dead on at 50 yard to dead on at 150 with that old accutrac scope at one time. It was no trouble to peel crows out of trees if I knew the range. I got that figured out, been in the closet for close to 20 years. I have 223’s that work better, so I don’t use it.

Thank you all for the help

Last edited by hanco; 01/31/24.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have that one and also the salt and pepper stock one. They are both great shooters I can do about 1/2 inch at 50 yds with both better if I use better ammo. I would also think in the 500to 600 range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also had a stainless model like that back in the late 2000's. Never really wrung it out on paper, I remember that it was very front heavy.

in 2010 I found its shorter cousin in Cabelas, their Tactical model with a matte finished 16" full diameter "Ruger Hammer Forged" barrel. Bought it on a Friday and used it right out of the box on the following Sunday to win our club's annual Championship Silhouette match, 100 and 200 yard matches.

FNG wins the shooting match

A few years ago I tested it for groups and it will shoot into the .4's with medium grade ammo it likes (CCI AR Tactical, older Winchester Super-X, that level of ammo), which is good enough.

Which has nothing to do with the OP, just yackin'... whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, bought it just like it is, probably shot it 50 times maybe. It shot real well as I recall. I had it figured out how many clicks to get from dead on at 50 yard to dead on at 150 with that old accutrac scope at one time. It was no trouble to peel crows out of trees if I knew the range. I got that figured out, been in the closet for close to 20 years. I have 223’s that work better, so I don’t use it.
Had a stainless K10/22T, like yours, for a few years. It didn’t prove to be entirely satisfactory, so it was replaced by this blued version:

It too was not all I had hoped, so it went to live with a friend who is quite happy with it.

I later concluded that maybe both had been unjustly blamed for what was in reality ammo deficiencies. Such is life.

Using the good ammo, this 10/22-like BRN-22 Frankenrifle, with its Volquartsen carbon fiber/stainless steel barrel, is much lighter and has so far proven to be very good for precision at distance:

6” steel @ 200 yards

Every day’s an adventure.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hanco: I would estimate that nifty Rifle to be worth $500.00 or so - not counting the scope.
I own two of these hammered forged Ruger 10/22's (both stainless versions) and I get very good accuracy from both - using higher quality Hunting type hollow-point ammunition.
They both shoot very nearly as well as my heavy barrel (Lilja!) 10/22 Custom Rifle!
Both of my Ruger 10/22 Targets are WAY down low on the list of Rifles I would ever sell.
I recommend you keep that one - as I have NOT seen a new one of these model 10/22's (stainless, heavy hammer forged barreled with laminated stocks) on store shelves for a very long time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm gonna sell a stock like this if I can ever get around to it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Had a stainless K10/22T, like yours, for a few years. It didn’t prove to be entirely satisfactory, so it was replaced by this blued version:

It too was not all I had hoped, so it went to live with a friend who is quite happy with it.

I later concluded that maybe both had been unjustly blamed for what was in reality ammo deficiencies. Such is life.

Using the good ammo, this 10/22-like BRN-22 Frankenrifle, with its Volquartsen carbon fiber/stainless steel barrel, is much lighter and has so far proven to be very good for precision at distance:

6” steel @ 200 yards

I always liked the looks of the 10/22T models, but their barrels are not the best. The guys that say they get 1/2" groups with cheap ammo with theirs are damn lucky. Comparing a Volquartsen barrel to one of these factory rifles is not a fair comparison. When you say the factory rifle didn't "prove to be entirely satisfactory", I'm assuming you mean it didn't shoot to your satisfaction. There may be some good shooters (meaning rifles) out there, but the majority that I've seen shot about 3/4" for 10 shots, at best. Nothing to write home about.

Trust me, I have even had to put guys in their place at the range. Had a loud mouth sob at one of our rimfire matches spouting off schidt like, "any factory Ruger 10/22 will put them into 1/2", right out of the box". I asked him to prove it. We had about 10 Ruger 10/22's in the racks, and I said, get your rifle, shoot a 1/2" 10 shot group. I said, we have time before the match. He then said, "well I can't do it". ha ha.. That's what I thought. He proved his heavy barreled 10/22 shot about 1 1/2" 10 shot groups for score, on target, that day. There's always going to be guys that say their rifles shoot 1/2" groups, but them proving it, is another story.. Internet or otherwise..

As for seeing these on the shelves of used rifle racks. I see them all the time. Hence the reason I say they are running around $400 right now. Gunbroker prices are higher, but then you have to deal with the taxes, shipping, and everything else, like the govt wanting to be informed of your sales. Probably part of the reason I have been seeing a lot more used rifles like these on the racks. I recently saw a very nice older Ruger 10/22 for $175.00. I almost bought it for parts.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Had that same model and sold it 10 years ago for $350

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BSA, believe that $175 10-22 may have followed me home.

Those older ones have the metal fire control unit, not polymer. I think parts would more than cover that cost.

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never found the target barrel 10/22’s to be any more accurate than standard models, but that is a nice looking gun. 500

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I never found the target barrel 10/22’s to be any more accurate than standard models, but that is a nice looking gun.
Yes, indeed.

Five CCI SGBs @ 50 yards from sand bags.

But, usually the cockamamie carbine barrel band must be removed and the barrel free-floated in order to do it. Not always, but usually.

Every day’s an adventure.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
BSA, believe that $175 10-22 may have followed me home.

Those older ones have the metal fire control unit, not polymer. I think parts would more than cover that cost.

DF

I know, now I'm kicking myself in the azz!! My new 10/22 clone has the dang plastic trigger housing. Not that it's bad, it has just never seemed right, since I'm used to the aluminum trigger housing on my 10/22's. The plastic one just seems cheap, but it works. I'll eventually replace it with a metal one. Those dang things sell for about $85 on ebay right now. Was watching one a few days ago, that sold for over $90.00!! So, yes buying a complete rifle would have been the way to go. I could have sold the parts, and used the parts I needed off of it. Kept the receiver for a later build.

BSA MAGA
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thank you all for the help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 59 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,883
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.