Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have two Nikon Monarchs in 5-20x44 and the glass is amazing, I bought these new. A buddy on this site bought a Nikon 3-12 at the Cabela’s Bargin Cave and again the glass is amazing! I wouldn’t hesitate buying used, the worst case is you get a new bino!

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I’m curious do you have to have the original purchase receipt to receive the warranty Nikon store credit?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got two of the 6.5-20x44 Monarchs with AO that I use as tester and target scopes. I don't have any other high powered optics on rifles, so I can't compare, but I can easily see .22 caliber target holes at 200 yards and they're the first scopes I ever owned that would shoot the box. Adjustments are spot on and the glass is great. What's not to like?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Have a 2x8x32 Monarch on my Kimber Select AAA French 308.Nice little scope. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice setup, I recently restored an old wood 700 mountain in 308, wanted something not to big and dang if I didn't run into that same 2x8x32 used at my lgs. Think I paid 200 plus tax for it. Great setup.

I hate nikon isn't making scopes anymore, they are bringing a pretty penny on ebay.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have no problem buying used Nikons. I just know that if a scope croaks that the best I will do is a voucher to purchase another Nikon product. On the other hand I do try to avoid new Nikon products due to the fact that they are anti-hunting. Plenty of other options that are pro-hunting so I spend my money with them.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've bought several and never had a problem with them or the ones I bought new. Fairly priced I'd take a chance.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A co-worker's wife worked at Nikon headquarters here on Long Island and was able to get 2 personal orders per year.Around 1990 or so I got a 6.5x20x44AO for $322 no tax.Been on my 22-250 40X ever since. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 01/26/24.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Sqweeler: Aaahhh.... you are a man after my own heart!
I have the exact same Remington 40-X in 22-250 with a Leupold 6.5x20 on it.
I have Hunted everything from Ground Squirrels, Prairie Dogs, Rock Chucks and Badgers on up to Coyotes and Antelope with mine.
I bought mine mail order from that outfit (Chesters?) in Ronkonkoma, New York - by any chance is that where you got your 40-X from them? I bought several 40X's from them over the years.
Let me know if that 40-X comes up for sale.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Selmer & Sqweeler: I also own a couple of the Nikon Monarchs in 6.5x20 and one in 4.5x14 all with the front parallax adjustment.
This latest 6x24x50mm has the side knob parallax adjustment - I think it is going to work out well in the Colony Varmint fields for easier parallax adjustment?
They have all served me well so far - knock on wood.
Wind has been pesky for the last few days - may get to shoot my new rig tomorrow?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Used is not mint. Used is used. No used scope is worth purchasing, none, not one.

LOL

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Can't count how many rifle's I bought at Chester's.Was looking at some old receipts the other day.Our connection to the Remington Custom shop there was Jerry Rallo.Unfortunately Chester's is no more but Jerry is around here someone.The 40X rimfire's he had in the store has us talking to this day,we should have bought them all!!!! A friend of mine I think has the only dual port 40X ever made:) smile

Last edited by sqweeler; 01/29/24.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My only Winchester model 70 is a XTR Featherweight in 30-06. 1982 push feed rifle. Came with a Nikon 3-9x40 with a red ring. Made in Japan. Really nice scope. Redfield one piece base and rings. Perfect for the rifle. Friend of mine that has been a professional photographer for 40 years says top of line optic. I like it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a couple of very, very rare Nikons.

At one time, Nikon was interested in getting into the short range Benchrest arena. They had decided that all the BR scopes were going to go through a single U.S. source that would do everything...import, sales and warranty service under one roof. They made some prototype 36X scopes and the distributor (who was a BR competitor) forwarded 6-8 of these to different individuals, including myself, for testing and feedback. The testing was to be hush-hush and none of the test scopes had any badging on them to identify them as Nikons. They performed very well....basically they were the Monarch UCC lenses and adjustments in a fixed power platform. My single suggestion was to offer a 7 MOA raised reticle so the wind flags would be more visible. That suggestion was apparently going to be implemented as an option. Anyone familiar with Nikons will recognize the turrets and A.O. assy., even without any badging.

When everything looked like it was a go, Nikon pulled the plug on the program for whatever reason. They had stocked the to-be distributor with parts and all the tools for service work and he had hired a savvy guy to run the service end of the business.

To make a weird deal even weirder, a year after they rolled up the mat on the BR deal, I got a package via UPS that contained a fixed 12X version of the same scope. The phone number on the packing slip was disconnected.

The 36X on a 30BR and a sleeved 222 that I did a period restoration on. It's one of my 'iron ball' test scopes:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 12X version on my Savage 112J single shot in 25-06:

Forbidden Zoner
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Al Nyhus: Thanks for relaying that very interesting story.
I wish "things" had worked out better for Nikons "bench rest" venture and later for their entire scope line.
Great looking Rifles there and great pictures - thanks for sharing.
Enjoy those scopes and Rifles.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,924
Posts18,479,785
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.