-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not big game. But probably the best place to ask.

Going to Campeche, MX to hunt Ocellated turkeys this spring. It's been a day (or over 20 years) since I hunted Gould's birds in Chihuahua, MX with the same outfit.

I know ABSOLUTELY, from past experience, that I'm going to get 150% effort from everyone there.

So what's the going rate on tipping the guide ?? Is it a percentage of hunt cost ?? Do I tip the outfitter, too ??

TIA !!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Ten percent of the hunt cost to the guide. Some for the camp staff as well (your discretion) no tip for the outfitter.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What if the outfitter is the guide? A one man show as I will have in Alaska soon. I know what I will do but appreciate the thoughts of others.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
What if the outfitter is the guide? A one man show as I will have in Alaska soon. I know what I will do but appreciate the thoughts of others.

Good question, because the outfitter is a friend of mine and said he would be my guide at least one day.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ten Percent of Hunt Cost to Guide. Piece of equipment to camp workers, knife, ammo, etc. This what I've done Stateside. In Africa, tip the Guide and give a bit of money to the Tracker, Skinner, etc.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/27/24.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always a judgement call. On my only guided hunt I was booked for 6 days of 1 on 1 elk time. The guide anticipated I'd be done by the 3rd day. It was the 11th day before we ever got within range of a bull. Needless to say, the guide pulled in a bit more than I had originally planned.

1Minute
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
$1000 is the maximum I tip. Otherwise, it's ridiculous.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good input, thus far. Thanks fellers !!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

Curious, what guided hunts have you been on?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

Curious, what guided hunts have you been on?
Quite a few. The second last one was in B.C. and got a very inexperienced guide, who was rather hopeless in spotting the game. I was spotting about 80% of the game versus about 20% for the guide (usually it's the other way round). I still paid a large tip, because it was expected, but I felt bad about doing so.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have only been on 2 guided hunts, both Elk. Both times I gave over 10% (but under 15%). I think 10% is the standard but both guides were over the top good and I now consider them friends.

If I didn’t care for the guide, I would reluctantly still give 10%.

If you short change a guide, don’t plan on him being available for you again. The good ones have say who they will and won’t guide again. Of course, it doesn’t have everything to do with the tip either. I do know a guide that will refuse a client regardless of any amount of tip. Some won’t guide a hunter that they never guided before. Upper tier guides can and will make the call.

This all may not hold water in another country

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed...I would tip him and have....I have no problem tipping a guide.....but I admit it pains me a little to tip the owner/guide, but I still do....bob

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The excessive tipping of guides and everyone else such as cooks just creates the situation that excessive tipping is the expectation. Outfitters just continue to pay poor wages to guides,
cooks etc on the assumption that the hunter will effectively pay their wages, yet the outfitters continue to charge huge prices for the hunts, and pocket what they don't but should, pay as wages.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I usually tip those who are “hands on” in helping me with the hunt. I’d include a guide/outfitter in that. I’d probably feel a bit less inclined to tip him heavy than some poor sap trying to live only on guide wages, though. I suspect most guides live and die by the size of their tips.

Edited to add: I make every attempt to personally hand the tip to each person, accompanied by a sincere thank you.

Last edited by WMR; 01/28/24.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed...I would tip him and have....I have no problem tipping a guide.....but I admit it pains me a little to tip the owner/guide, but I still do....bob

Yes I will tip him when earned. That said I have been fortunate, successful or not, to have my guides/owners give their all. They all were offered a tip.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate all the input !!!

Thanks !!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.