C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by cfran
Would be helpful to understand what you are trying to solve for first. That added context would be helpful, as in most instances RM’s are far from ideal.

cfran...not really try to solve anything, just wondering why they are so bad as a lot make them out to be....bob

Do a little more research, this is a very expensive way to tap liquidity and as others have mentioned it’s horrible from an estate planning perspective. In a way it’s similar to buying annuities, given most aren’t smart enough to fully comprehend the hidden costs/fees.

Ironically when people ask about them, and pardon me but I’m generalizing, it’s usually asked by those that have made poor financial planning decisions and now need money. It’s that simple.

good points....I will give you my situation.....I don't "need" a reverse mortgage...I own my home, cars, boats...and not talking about old stuff, all 2022 low miles....trailers, tractor etc. don't take ss yet...64+ have money saved to live on ..no debt except living expenses.

going to downsize again. why not take one out? shhitload of equity, don't care if there is anything left, to be used for more hunting/fishing trips. trying to see the downside here....bob

It’s every expensive if you can do the math, but given the above I still am not clear what we are solving for. If you downsize w/o the RM will you not have freed up some cash? Do you need more before you start drawing SS?

An RM for a guy like you should be a last resort, you aren’t desperate and out of money.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, Tom Selleck says they are a good idea. grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Were it me in your situation.....and I wanted to downsize, I'd sell the house and keep the equity myself. I'd then use that cash to buy the smaller place and likely have some leftover.

Reverse mtg is for when you want to stay in the current home, no?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Seriously, would it not be better to cash out and rent a place?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If the house is paid off, that's a loser. They're handing it out to a 3d party.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The acreage I own was part of a 120 acre ranch just the main home place. The other plots were sold off. The lady then had the 120 subdivided so her kids could all get 10-15 acres to put homes on. She sold the old home and 40 acres separate as it was on it's own well. Should have done fine after that but after putting in a small home and garage and gifting to much money to family her income was insufficient for her lifestyle. She got a reverse.mortage to supplement her income. When she died her son found out that her estate was gone if they didn't cough up 170k to keep the house. He had power of attorney and after laying it on the line to the rest of the family he sold the place in a hurry to come out a little ahead of it being repossessed. If you have family make them earn and borrow their own money if you want to leave an estate to heirs never get a reverse mortage. Pretty God damn simple no matter what QUIGLEY says..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a guy with a chain of restaurants that could not control his own cash flow.
A financial advisor sets up a retirement account that sends a monthly payment.
This is a high end example of the 62% of Americans that live paycheck to paycheck with no savings.

When I was in college in the 70s, I would show other students how to budget their summer job savings to last through a 9 month school year.
These were seemingly intelligent students, whose well off parents lived paycheck to paycheck.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
cfran ..... in short....been to africa 1 time...going again in 25 . not cheap trips at all, think elephant etc. looking at spain , argentina.

those kind of trips are exspensive.....I am retired. so after those trips that's it.....an rm would expand my travel that's it.

or I can die with a paid off house .....cant take it with you....everyone's opinions on this are appreciated......bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well, Tom Selleck says they are a good idea. grin

I kinda like that tom guy..lol...bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Westman
Were it me in your situation.....and I wanted to downsize, I'd sell the house and keep the equity myself. I'd then use that cash to buy the smaller place and likely have some leftover.

Reverse mtg is for when you want to stay in the current home, no?

I have done that once already...next house is it....bob

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see where JG Wentworth is working to expand into them, so that right there should be a red flag.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

greg I don't need to do that.....bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The acreage I own was part of a 120 acre ranch just the main home place. The other plots were sold off. The lady then had the 120 subdivided so her kids could all get 10-15 acres to put homes on. She sold the old home and 40 acres separate as it was on it's own well. Should have done fine after that but after putting in a small home and garage and gifting to much money to family her income was insufficient for her lifestyle. She got a reverse.mortage to supplement her income. When she died her son found out that her estate was gone if they didn't cough up 170k to keep the house. He had power of attorney and after laying it on the line to the rest of the family he sold the place in a hurry to come out a little ahead of it being repossessed. If you have family make them earn and borrow their own money if you want to leave an estate to heirs never get a reverse mortage. Pretty God damn simple no matter what QUIGLEY says..mb

I agree...bob

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Insurance, accident, liability,upkeep,utilites and taxes are still due.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Etoh
Insurance, accident, liability,upkeep,utilites and taxes are still due.

yes... just like they are whether your house is paid for or not...bob

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If someone is trying to sell you on the idea of a RM it’s probably not in YOUR best interest.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up some furniture for my elderly cousin. She had bought it from a lady who was being evicted from the home she and her husband owned. Apparently she signed some paperwork along with her husband that ended the contract when he died. The outfit that furnished them the money did not make her aware of that provision and she being an elderly old Pentecostal lady did what her husband and the bank said for her to do without reading the contract.

Something like that should be unlawful. But people should always remember that you are holding the equivalent of dynamite when you are holding a pen.

I know a family that was put into bankruptcy when their adult son got into a motorcycle wreck and signed a document agreeing to pay. They were emotionally distraught at the ER and the boy was badly injured.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would get with a really good mortgage broker who can do reverses etc and have them run the numbers for you. It boils down to the numbers.

It’s nice to paid off house but being house rich don’t don’t kill elephants.

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
If someone is trying to sell you on the idea of a RM it’s probably not in YOUR best interest.

problem is its me talking myself in or out of it...bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
I would get with a really good mortgage broker who can do reverses etc and have them run the numbers for you. It boils down to the numbers.

It’s nice to paid off house but being house rich don’t don’t kill elephants.

and thus the deilima....bob

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.