Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ihookem yes, a buddy and I bought a trailer and hunted Price Co. several years east of Phillips in the NF. We had some good spots over there, got a few nice ones, but moved on for the same reason Greg did. At least we weren't saddled with a permanent camp there. I tried that Flambeau river bottom one year and was able to cross it with chest waders which was kind of a surprise as dark and deep looking as it was. That river stopped everyone with Sorel boots though and I had it to myself. Other than Buffalo County., Price and Sawyer County were #2 & #3 for B&C bucks in the state, but that has probably changed by now with lots of bigger bucks farther south in the farming, private property areas.

Swag, yes I've hunted the U.P of Michigan and the Minnesota deer seasons because they open earlier than our Wisconsin gun season and catching the tail end of the rut made lots of difference in seeing deer and not seeing deer. I know that Illinois has some king size, well fed bucks down there, but I thought that it was shotgun only and all private and I'm a rifle guy that is kind of stuck in the public big woods by the cottage. Wisconsin guys that want to shoot big bucks would do better hunting the southern part of the state. My step-sons shoot really nice ones every year bow and gun on their dad's family owned land in the SW part of the state. The wife is talking about selling the cottage and if it wasn't for the accommodations there, I'd be somewhere better for the deer hunting.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
That makes sense Windfall. There used to be real big bucks there , but a tired rutted buck likely is wolf food when the snow gets deep. There are a few bigger bucks on the cam , but only the first half of November, then they disapear and I cant find them by gun season. Next gun season is Nov. 24 , the latest possible date so the rut will be mostly done. I hate deer hunting up there, and I am strapped with 7ac. and a cabin. I love it up there , love my cabin I built when I was 26 and now I'm 60. It's hard to just sell something like that , just to put money down on land somewhere else to find other problems on the new land. I am done running and gunning in a clomber when it's 0 degrees in the morning... I agree , that an earlier season , you will see a few more deer, and have always wanted to hunt da U.P. This fall, it will be 8 days earlier.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Windfall
Ihookem yes, a buddy and I bought a trailer and hunted Price Co. several years east of Phillips in the NF. We had some good spots over there, got a few nice ones, but moved on for the same reason Greg did. At least we weren't saddled with a permanent camp there. I tried that Flambeau river bottom one year and was able to cross it with chest waders which was kind of a surprise as dark and deep looking as it was. That river stopped everyone with Sorel boots though and I had it to myself. Other than Buffalo County., Price and Sawyer County were #2 & #3 for B&C bucks in the state, but that has probably changed by now with lots of bigger bucks farther south in the farming, private property areas.

Swag, yes I've hunted the U.P of Michigan and the Minnesota deer seasons because they open earlier than our Wisconsin gun season and catching the tail end of the rut made lots of difference in seeing deer and not seeing deer. I know that Illinois has some king size, well fed bucks down there, but I thought that it was shotgun only and all private and I'm a rifle guy that is kind of stuck in the public big woods by the cottage. Wisconsin guys that want to shoot big bucks would do better hunting the southern part of the state. My step-sons shoot really nice ones every year bow and gun on their dad's family owned land in the SW part of the state. The wife is talking about selling the cottage and if it wasn't for the accommodations there, I'd be somewhere better for the deer hunting.

IL opened things up for some rifles this year. Single shot or magazine plugged rifles, straight wall and a few certain bottleneck cartridges that meet the specs, 30 cal or larger. I poked one with my CVA in 300 Blackout this season.

Land access has gotten very expensive unless you are lucky enough to pull a tag on a public zone. Public hunting areas make up less than 2% of the state's acreage.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I can’t sit a stand if I don’t have full confidence in seeing deer. There are specific reasons I hunt the spots I do (time of day, WIND direction, food sources, etc). If you are limited to the amount of time you can hunt, use a cheap trail camera and set it up at a stand location and hunt another location. You will be hunting 2 spots at the same time/cover more area. In the morning hunt bedding areas and in the evening hunt food sources. Don’t hunt a stand if the wind is blowing in the direction that is NOT favorable to you/ where you thing the deer will be coming from.

Also, some people leave the stand around 9am. That is when I usually start seeing deer. I see them a lot around 11AM and 12PM too. Good luck!

Also, get in there after it snows and see where those deer are coming from and going to. You can learn a lot!

Last edited by Cropslx; 01/27/24.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Cropslx
Also, some people leave the stand around 9am. That is when I usually start seeing deer. I see them a lot around 11AM and 12PM too. Good luck!

Also, get in there after it snows and see where those deer are coming from and going to. You can learn a lot!

I agree. I don't see a lot right away in the mornings. Sometimes I do, but not usually.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
I'm always a little reluctant to go walking around during the gun season because invariably I'll jump something up and get it killed by some other hunter. The best stand sites that I've ever found were from snow tracking a big set of deer tracks and setting up a stand the next year somewhere along that route that gave me an advantage. Topography does funnel deer movement. I was talking with Greg Miller at a deer seminar and he told me that he has left hunting Price County because it was too big and too flat and the deer could go anywhere. Another thing I'd heard and already mentioned in this thread was that if you want to shoot a big buck, you need to hunt where one lives. I think that I've morphed into hunting like tzone's two buddies. We only get a 9 day gun season and opening day is sacred. The deer have to be there somewhere and they can't all be down wind. A stand site for me will take advantage of the prevailing north west wind, but I'd still probably hunt a good stand in a wrong wind. Back in my youth I'd hunt high enough in a tree that it didn't seem to matter much.

Shaman, I think that a minor move should be in order. Last season hunting the only decently large stand of regenerating poplar trees within miles, I got the feeling that it was like being in the right church, just the wrong pew. The only shot that I heard close that made for coyote, crow and raven gut pile scavenger noise was on the other side of that stand of poplar. That stuff grows thick and visibility is pretty limited, but I'd read that it will hold like 13 deer per square mile. Way more than that mature maple.

I have hunted Price co. Wis for 35 gun seasons and it is the hardest place I ever hunted deer. I saw a buck this gun season and before that was 2009. It took 14 gun seasons to see a buck. As for hunting the big woods, I just hunt along the S. Fork Flambeau River cause I have river frontage. There is more sign along the river , perhaps cause it is one of the only places with a ridge . There is a trail along the river that runs for miles. Other than that , the trails are so faint that you can hardly tell they are there and very hard to hunt deer in wolf country cause deer dont follow trails much cause if they follow trails, wolves pick up the pattern . As for hunting a stand in the big woods, I hunt it a few times a year and that is it . They are just too remote to put up with much human scent.

Dang. I thought I had it bad because I didn't see a legal buck this year and the only legal buck last year was a 5 point. But 14 years! 😳

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"... don't see a lot..." Heck I don't see any! This gun season I spent 32 hours some days dark to dark watching an empty deer woods. If the kid wasn't coming over for dinner tonight, I'd be up there right now scouting out some areas that I found on Google Maps now that the snow is melted back some. I had a lot better area before I sold my place one county over, but I don't want to drive that far from the new place to deer hunt. I'd best nail down a few more good stand sites rather than just hanging out at a stand where I've shot bucks before.

Moosemike, that is a lot of the problem deer hunting up north here and ihookem is like a lot of us hamstrung with a low density, public land deer area because we have a cabin/cottage there. Northern WI. is beautiful with big tracts of woods, streams and lakes, but the woods are getting too mature. Minimal industry and a low tax base, so the area is depressed economically. More poaching, harder winters, a four month bow/crossbow season, doe seasons to get more hunters up there and predators. 14 years does seem excessive though.

Last edited by Windfall; 02/01/24.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"... don't see a lot..." Heck I don't see any! This gun season I spent 32 hours some days dark to dark watching an empty deer woods. If the kid wasn't coming over for dinner tonight, I'd be up there right now scouting out some areas that I found on Google Maps now that the snow is melted back some. I had a lot better area before I sold my place one county over, but I don't want to drive that far from the new place to deer hunt. I'd best nail down a few more good stand sites rather than just hanging out at a stand where I've shot bucks before.

Moosemike, that is a lot of the problem deer hunting up north here and ihookem is like a lot of us hamstrung with a low density, public land deer area because we have a cabin/cottage there. Northern WI. is beautiful with big tracts of woods, streams and lakes, but the woods are getting too mature. Minimal industry and a low tax base, so the area is depressed economically. More poaching, harder winters, a four month bow/crossbow season, doe seasons to get more hunters up there and predators. 14 years does seem excessive though.

Exact same problems in northern PA where my Camp is. 2-3 deer per square mile and maturing forests. Most days I don't see a deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by moosemike

Exact same problems in northern PA where my Camp is. 2-3 deer per square mile and maturing forests. Most days I don't see a deer.

when i started hunting, i went to my grandfather's camp in Coburn, PA. i'd see a group of 14 - 15 deer per square mile in big woods. then when i 15yo i hunted behind my house and i would see 15 - 20 deer at a time (the woods were small, 200 acres is considered a big woods). i go to game lands in Bedford, Somerset and Westmoreland and i would see 15 - 30 deer at a time.

then the bonus tags came out and a year after that, the deer numbers went way down. from 15 - 30 deer at a time to 1 or 2 deer a day. and there was days it was 0 deer. now, behind my house, it is 10 -15 doe that stay there. the bucks come in for the rut and they go to different spot afterwards.

in Bedford County, i hunted in Woodbury Gamelands and State Gamelands 41 near Maria. they used have 20-40 deer per square mile, but after the bonus tags and their CWD program, it is less than 1 deer per square mile. i have not hunted it for long time.

in Westmoreland County, i hunted in private lands against Linn Run State Park. the 20-40 deer per square mile and then they over hunted it, so now it is down 5 - 7 deer per square mile. i have not hunted it for 12 years because i am disabled.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I've gotten too old and comfortable to be out running around, punishing myself. A comfortable chair, warm environment, hot meal and a quiet day is OK by me. A critter to shoot at is a plus as long as I don't have to track or drag it. My stands are heated, with office chairs, food, a port-a-pot and a great view. If I shoot it, I go get my truck, attach the game hoist, then field dress it.

With age comes wisdom .....for some of us!

My pics are too big, I need to figure out how to shrink them.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,726
Posts18,475,896
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.