Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#19118748 01/17/24
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any marked difference or preference between the Model 1 and Model 2, IOW, a compelling reason to prefer one over the other?

The Model 2 I saw has a threaded barrel, clearly factory. Is that standard or common/rare?

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Main difference, as far as I know, is in the sights. The #2's came with a Mauser-like tangent rear sight. Probably some other more minor differences that I'm sure a more knowledgeable fella could describe.

A big difference in quality though between early #1's and #2's versus late production #2's. The same good barrels were on the late ones but the finish wasn't as nice and the bolts not as slick. Still excellent guns though. I have an early 70's #2 exhibiting those quality traits that is very happily accurate but its trigger was a long and mushy pull. A cheap Basix trigger fixed that. It remains my "backyard safari rifle" accounting for numerous pests:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My #2 isn't threaded. Some examples I've viewed over the years had threads but most didn't. Probably due to the rest of the world's more mature attitude toward suppressors.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/17/24.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Later CZ models (don't ask me the model #'s) magazines and scope bases fit the BRNO predecessors. I bought my scope mounts off of a guy in the Czech republic.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, the #1 did look a bit nicer, very pristine too. Have to look again.

Kinda silly for me to be eyeballing these as my eyes aren’t very irons-friendly these days.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Any marked difference or preference between the Model 1 and Model 2, IOW, a compelling reason to prefer one over the other?

The Model 2 I saw has a threaded barrel, clearly factory. Is that standard or common/rare?

Thanks.

The model one has a more open port, the safety points back instead of to the side, the rear sight is neater/smaller, the foresight is shorter and more importantly...is slightly larger on the inside diameter which allows a 1/2" sae thread to be cut and still allows the foresight to be placed back behind the thread, the forescrew lug under the barrel can be tapped across in the dovetail to adjust the barrel in the barrel channel.

Down side is the model one trigger can be set off by pushing forward.

The model two trigger is simply better...so the answer is the model five which has the model one barrel and model two action.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I would go for the pre 68 model 2 all day just for the trigger which is like the trigger in the 452.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I saw a Brno yesterday. Nice little rifle, but looks like it was converted to a single shot. Looks like the trim model1, with schnabel forend tip. Looks fairly old, and the action is as smooth as my Winchester 52B. They want $300 for it. Then the last model 2 I saw locally was a few months ago, was pristine and all original. I almost bought it at a local shop for $350. The barrel was definitely not threaded.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A $350 #2 should've come home with you. Whatforhelluva else quality .22 sporter can a guy buy for $350 these days? grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A $350 #2 should've come home with you. Whatforhelluva else quality .22 sporter can a guy buy for $350 these days? grin

Like I told my girlfriend, I'll save some good deals for someone else. They also had an older CZ455 trainer rifle for the same price. They were both on consignment. Likely the same guy selling them. Both rifles were beautiful too. The Brno #2, looked like a heavy barreled target rifle, but had the military style rear sight. If it would have had an aperture, I probably would have bought it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,940
Posts18,498,902
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.