Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Smoke and dry rub. I dint like the sticky sweet sauces.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Depending on the rub and how much sauce you use, you can offset the sweet to your liking. Increase the pepper and smoked paprika in the rub, add some heat with franks hot sauce to something simple like sweet baby rays or similar and it can be really good!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I know it doesn't appeal to some, but I grew up a stone's throw from St Louis, and my Dad worked in the Swift & Co. stockyards. I ate more than my share of sticky-sweet smoked meats that was - as far as I knew - the ONLY kind of BBQ there was. Not the only, just the best. The sauce used is enough to keep you licking your fingers for three days afterwards.

My next life stop was Texas, and damn if there wasn't a whole new kind of "Q" made here. And then there was the Carolinas and whole hog. Dayumm. Then Memphis style. Dayumm again.

My blood stream is still about half St Louis sauce, but there are no kinds of Q that I do not love.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Well here I am with dry rubbed baby backs on the smoker today. The local sale is $1.98/# this week. So far I’ve picked up 8 racks and need to make room in the freezer for more.

Bastid!

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My dad was born in 1929 in St Clair Mo and grew up next to Route 66. In his day there were tents set up next the the road that sold various specialty foods to travelers. He was particularly enamored with a rib stand called "Diver Jones Ribs". As a kid he hung around there until Diver Jones (WW1 diver) showed him how to make his famous ribs. They have been a family favorite since.

The recipe called for a commercial sauce and Maull's was his favorite. The sauce was augmented with copious brown sugar, garlic salt and thinned with beer. The ribs were done over a fairly hot bed of real charcoal and flipped often. The sauce was painted on them every time they were turned. Cut to single ribs and serve. I am pretty sure the ribs are just a vehicle for the sauce. Enjoy.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ribs in the crockpot with some sauce is hard to beat. Can chew on the bones and suck out the marrow. Dip a piece of bread to soak up the fat that liquified.

If you don’t chew the bones no need to apply.

MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pahick

Depending on the rub and how much sauce you use, you can offset the sweet to your liking. Increase the pepper and smoked paprika in the rub, add some heat with franks hot sauce to something simple like sweet baby rays or similar and it can be really good!

Yep, no thanks.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Pig feet in tha crock pot is the shnizzle mmmm

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In the 50s, Swift & Co gave away the "trim" cuts to any and all. Trim included ribs, cheeks, tongue, and pig snoots. About every half mile on every road, there was a cinderblock and screen BBQ pit run by gray-haired Black men. The signs all said Ribs and Snoots. Hickory wood, low and slow. Basted continuously with that thick, sweet sauce until the sauce permeated the meat all the way to the bone.

Brother, you could eat until you bust for next to nothing.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by Fubarski
"St. Louis Style" refers to the trim of a rack of ribs.

Ya take the traditional cut sold in the store, and remove the end towards the spine, leaving just the one piece rib bones.

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-trim-pork-spare-ribs-st-louis-style

Yep.
yep +1... lotta' Rib ignorance on this thread... 4 lb baby backs?, what the F" did that hog weigh, 800 lbs? lol... try 1&1/2 lb and down for a true "Baby Back" rib... I prefer "back" ribs at 1&3/4 lb, more meat & more flavor... prefer St. Louis cut spares at 2&1/2 and down, skin on, skirt off... gotta' watch it...some'a them crooked meat cutters will cut old sow ribs down to make weight (look for Big bones)...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Report: Dey was dewishus.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll bet they were.

Only thing I grill anymore is ribs. Worth the time and trouble they are.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Time and trouble are why I don't grill ribs. I leave them to the pros.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don’t grill ribs because I’m lazy and happy making them in the oven. Yellow mustard for a binder and Cabelas pork rub. Sealed tightly with a little water in the pan at 250 degrees for 4 hours. Then drain and coat them with baby ray’s honey BBQ sauce at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Usually have trouble flipping them over to add the sauce because they’re falling apart. Baked beans, potato salad and slaw to go with them makes a great meal. I’ve only found slaw made the way my mom made it to be worth eating. Apple cider vinegar, a little sugar and mayonnaise with a little celery seed mixed in.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
I don’t grill ribs because I’m lazy and happy making them in the oven. Yellow mustard for a binder and Cabelas pork rub. Sealed tightly with a little water in the pan at 250 degrees for 4 hours. Then drain and coat them with baby ray’s honey BBQ sauce at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Usually have trouble flipping them over to add the sauce because they’re falling apart. Baked beans, potato salad and slaw to go with them makes a great meal. I’ve only found slaw made the way my mom made it to be worth eating. Apple cider vinegar, a little sugar and mayonnaise with a little celery seed mixed in.

What do you mean by "sealed tightly"? A lid? Foil?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There are great cooked on the pit with mesquite wood

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you smoke them with apple wood it's a very mild smoke flavor.

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by hanco
There are great cooked on the pit with mesquite wood

Mesquite?

No way Josè!

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I found a recipe a few years back for spare ribs that we really liked.

Tuscan rustica or some such. Basically a dry rub with Mediterranean style herbs to include a fair bit of fennel. Done in the oven.

They were killer.

Rosticciana??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That's because you ain't got the ghey.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.