Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
5 pounds with zero creep is a heck of an accomplishment for a trigger. Thats a good report.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The trigger is basically the same as a 10/22 but breaks a lot more cleanly than any 10/22 I've owned. There's just a small amount of take up with a very clean break right at 5 pounds on my trigger gauge - no mush or creep at all, then a bit of overtravel. The reset is both tactile and audible right at the same point where it broke, then no take up at all with another clean break.

I have no complaints about the trigger action given its purpose. The pull weight might be improved but for a defensive weapon it's fine, in a stressful situation you wouldn't want a trigger that's too light.

The accuracy surprised me. I mounted a Leupold 1-4x20 on it for testing and shot groups at 50 yards. The buttstock was on a bag but I held the forend in my hand and rested that over some sandbags. CCI 115 gr. aluminum cased Blazer did the best, 5 shots into .65", a nice group with all shots touching. S&B 124 gr. bullets put 5 into .73". Winchester white box was the worst with 5 into 1.5". That's certainly sufficient for combat accuracy out to 100 yards, and since my house has no straight line distance longer than 17 yards I'll call it good. wink

Something I wanted to check for was any POI change when the barrel is removed and then replaced. I adjusted the barrel nut down until the two halves went back together with some resistance. Fired 5 rounds of the S&B, removed the barrel and put it back on, let the bolt slam home 3-4 times which is what Ruger recommends to seat it well, then fired 5 more shots.

Very happy to report that there was no detectable POI change. All 10 shots went into a 1.2" group at 50 yards.

Will be mounting a Holosun HS407C on it but still debating whether to put it on the receiver or on the barrel. POI shift isn't a real worry for receiver mounting but it's kind of like the economist's quandary - it works in practice but still doesn't work in theory.

I've ordered an EGW mount that replaces the rear sight, that lets you get the lowest possible cheek weld and co-witnesses with the front sight but you lose the irons as backup. Mounted on the receiver still gives you a decent cheek weld although not as tight as barrel mounting and it partially hides the rear sight.

It's not really that big of a deal since this isn't some bugout gun or hit the streets for the urban guerilla revolution thing. It's strictly for home defense with a projected 99.99% actual use just plinking and target shooting. If the dot fails then it fails, this thing points so well I probably don't need the sights within the space of my house and if any S hit the F there sure wouldn't be any time to switch over to backups anyway.

Going to try mounting the dot in both places and just see what I like best. Will also be mounting a light on the front but still researching those.
That sounds pretty darned good to me!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Paul, this will help verify your opinion on Ruger QC, but in the interests of full disclosure there was a serious fly in the ointment here - stovepipes.

It would eject CCI Blazer just fine but it had several failures to eject both Winchester white box and the Sellier & Bellot cases. It would stovepipe one case out of about every 10-20 rounds which is completely unacceptable in a self-defense rifle. Hickok45 and Honest Outlaw on youtube both experienced stovepipes with their PC9's so it's apparently a fairly common problem.

Fortunately, Tandemkross and MCarbo both make replacement extractors so I ordered and installed the Tandemkross model; it has a much deeper undercut which grabs more of the case rim.

Took it out yesterday and put 155 rounds of various ammo through it - a box of Blazer, 100 rounds of S&B and some Hornady American Gunner ammo without one single failure of any kind. Going to try another 100 rounds to be sure but it looks like that problem is solved. The product reviews for both company's extractors mention the stovepiping a lot and also praise the replacement extractors for completely solving the problem. Shame Ruger can't make one tiny adjustment to their extractor design.

Two other take aways from yesterday. I went to an indoor range since it's been rainy and windy here lately. My idea of a 9mm for indoors is sound since even inside a room with bare concrete walls the PC9 just goes Crack! Crack! Crack!

A guy three stalls down had an AR-15 with a 16" barrel and it went BLAM! BLAM! F*CKING BLAM! The noise and concussion was extremely loud even wearing ear plugs and muffs.

The other thing is that this little carbine is very easy to shoot. Here's a 2" square target set at 15 yards - the distance from my bedroom hallway to my front door - with 30 rounds of double taps. I'd start at port arms, present and acquire the target and fire two rounds quickly. This should be good enough for anti-social work.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Are you still looking?

PSA has an Armalite M15 on sale, I like my Armalite quality is excellent.
Absolutely no problems after approximately 3000 rounds of cheap ammo.
With cheap ammo accuracy has been ok.

Link

https://palmettostatearmory.com/arm...m_term=02-17-2024&utm_content=774901

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what a shame you have to fix a new gun because the manufacturer under engineered it.

IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,023 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,230
Posts18,485,651
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.