Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Astigmatism and Red Dots

Older shooters often suffer from astigmatism. It's a sign that your eyes ain't what they used to be. You don't have to be older than dirt to suffer from it however. Some guys try to blame the sight, but it's likely you. The only way to know for sure is to visit the eye doctor. It's not all gloom and doom however, and it does not impair your ability to use a traditional scope. In the meantime, use your Google Foo for a complete description. Try "astigmatism and red dots".

My astigmatism started in 2023. Last spring, I ordered a scope rail from Calgary Shooting Centre for my Mossberg 464. I mounted a Romeo 5 red dot sight, but something was wrong. The dot seemed blurry and appeared to be smeared a bit. It was like I put my finger in some fresh paint and dragged it across a paper. it was a little comma of red. The short of it was, the dot was not perfectly round with crisp edges.

I knew that it was time to put on a green tinted reflex sight and use a cross or a cross through a circle as the reticle. At the time, I used a cheap amazon Feyachi sight. After a year, it is still working! It cost $25. You can see it below.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last week, I was rearranging bullets in my workshop and came across a few thousand .358 cast bullets that were desperately in need of shooting. I had a Model 92 lever that was perfect for the job! The only trouble was, I really hated the rear sight on the Rossi, so I opted for another reflex sight, just like what I had put on my 30-30.

Some people might be aghast when they read that I will be putting an optic on a lever. To them I say, keep your eyes healthy and don't age. If time causes them to fail however, you still have alternatives!

What I liked about the Model 92 was that they thoughtfully put four screw holes under the rear sight that can be used for a rail. Hey great! No need to drill and tap! The rear sight comes off by tapping it out of the dovetail with a hammer and punch (left to right, muzzle forward). Done! Just clean up the area and screw holes with some alcohol and you're ready to install a rail.

The next thing was to find a M92 rail, but I couldn't find a supplier in Canada. I sourced one from Skinner sights and ordered it just after supper tonight. For $80, I have one on the way.

These are the four reticles.

Sometimes, you don't have to mortgage the farm to upgrade your rifles or improve your rifle's performance.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have two Winchester 92’s, one an SRC, the other a deluxe with octagonal barrel. Both need a reflex sight. Have yet to decide what to do. I will send them to Turnbull if that’s what it takes. Both are 45 Colt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It will extend their usefullness.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, this was a shock. My first Rossi 92 was purchased for $399. It was a 44 Mag, just like this, but without the safety. The 357 shown below was $429 and has the safety.

This is a new M92 rifle at Firearms Outlet. $1199. How times have changed. That will teach me for getting older.

https://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/rossi-r92-lever-action-rifle--44-mag--20--920442013-.html

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Had to go with all green and yellow sight pins on my bowsight years ago. Red pins were optically out of line with the others, even though you could lay a straight edge on them and prove they lined up perfectly.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Had to go with all green and yellow sight pins on my bowsight years ago. Red pins were optically out of line with the others, even though you could lay a straight edge on them and prove they lined up perfectly.

I can understand. It's difficult to explain to some people how the red dots look. They are no longer straight and with sharp lines.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,532
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.