-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't I just read that AA2700 was also in the same burn rate as H414 and 760 ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I'm not being argumentative here, I really want to know....what's with these reports of dirty burning H414? I basically use the bulk of it in 7x57 and .30-06, admittedly loaded stoutly and ignited with WLRs...but I just haven't seen excess fouling. As a matter of fact the 7x57 has a frosty bore, and 414 gives same low copper fouling as CFE 223. I have used a lot of it, about 2/3 the way through an old keg. A local rancher buys a pound from me every year for his .220 Swift...swears by it, and I use it in a lot of less popular applications, full power loads in the .30-40 and .303 Brit. You wouldn't think the military would have accepted it if it was that bad...I still have some linked M25 red tip .30-06 mg loaded with what looks, smells, tastes like 414.
same here... my 7x57 also has a frosty bore using stout loads of 414 with magnum primers... going to try some Big Game if i ever find any locally... been lookin' for 4 years!...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve found H414 to be temperature sensitive and stopped using it. I wasn’t too concerned regarding the cleanliness issue. I’m thinking the issue there was carbon buildup not copper, but I may be wrong. It was the most accurate in a couple cartridge/bullet combinations that I’ve used. That was in some odd cartridge bullet combinations such as 120 grain hollow points and Remington 280. It’s close enough to the 4350’s and like MD wrote Big Game, so there’s no need for me to use it again.

I used up the last of the H414 for fire forming loads and with pulled bullets. It worked well for that.

I’ll not buy another pound of WW760 or H414. I see that some people like it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I was at one of our gun stores yesterday and I THINK I remember seeing some H-414 on the shelf.

how much dust was on the container? smile

It was discontinued quite a few years ago now... but if it had the price tag from quite a few years ago... I'd have snagged that real quick... but I don't worry much about availability as you can still essentially get the same stuff on a Win 760 and AA 2700 labeled container.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’ve found H414 to be temperature sensitive and stopped using it. I wasn’t too concerned regarding the cleanliness issue. I’m thinking the issue there was carbon buildup not copper, but I may be wrong. It was the most accurate in a couple cartridge/bullet combinations that I’ve used. That was in some odd cartridge bullet combinations such as 120 grain hollow points and Remington 280. It’s close enough to the 4350’s and like MD wrote Big Game, so there’s no need for me to use it again.

I used up the last of the H414 for fire forming loads and with pulled bullets. It worked well for that.

I’ll not buy another pound of WW760 or H414. I see that some people like it.

Never had an issue in warm weather, just didn't load it to the max, of what the load manual listed as max.

It always shot real good in about any cartridge I used it in...I always liked it, as it was cheaper than a lot of other powders.
same reason I use a lot of H 380 also.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fury01
I think Hodgdon kept the Winchester 760 branding and dropped the H 414. Same powder.
F01
This!

As you know, I love the stuff. Just got a 8 lb of W760.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've always used the W760 version and like it. It does well in a 7x57, .308 Win. and 30-06. As far as temp sensitivity, my .308 load is at Winchester 's data maximum for a 165 gr. Bullet. Same with the 7x57, a max load carefully worked up The 06 was worked up close to a max load but time ran out as I had a scheduled guided hunt come up, FWIW, I do probably 99% of my load workups during the very hot Tucson summers. Any load that shows as max for a cartridge will probably be just fine during the cooler months when I/we hunt.The .280 load I use is with another Winchester ball powder, the now long gone WMR that can get a bit squirrelly on a really hot day. I took it as a back up to my .35 Whelen on a New Mexico elk hunt and tested it at 14 above zero. No change in point of impact. One load I have for the 30-06 uses W760 and the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond. The temp in the truck read 4 above zero and the shot was just fine. It could be that I haven't had shifts in point of impact is because I do try to get close enough that a slight change doesn't hurt squat. I like W760 or H414 or whatever other name it might have as it's always worked well for me.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like it. Great accuracy in a 22-250, 270, and 7.62X54R.
The Russian is a carbine and gives off a pretty knarly muzzle flash though.

Sean
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

It's much simpler than that. They're all the SAME powder, produced in the same factory, and put in different canisters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old__School
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
While the powder residue of 414/760 may not bother some handloaders, I haven't used any in years--except for testing in articles.

Ramshot Big Game has a similar burn-rate, is much cleaner burning, less temp-sensitive--and these days far more available. Just looked at three websites and found it on two. The Ramshot site lists it at 219.99 for an 8-pounder.

Mule Deer....
Care to share which websites have it in stock? I Haven't seen Big Game available for a little while and it's been even longer since I have seen Hunter available anywhere.

https://ramshotpowdersusa.com/ramshot-big-game-smokeless-gun-powder/

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hatari, thanks for posting that.

Am still surprised by how many handloaders don't do an on-line search for powder, or other components. Yeah, there's the hazmat fee and shipping, but if you buy an 8-pounder it's usually still around the price a brick-and-mortar store will charge--and sometimes less....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

kwg

It's much simpler than that. They're all the SAME powder, produced in the same factory, and put in different canisters.

This is the kind of factual information that is all too difficult to find. Thanks.

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/14/24.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hatari
While the powder residue of 414/760 may not bother some handloaders, I haven't used any in years--except for testing in articles.

Ramshot Big Game has a similar burn-rate, is much cleaner burning, less temp-sensitive--and these days far more available. Just looked at three websites and found it on two. The Ramshot site lists it at 219.99 for an 8-pounder.

Mule Deer....
Care to share which websites have it in stock? I Haven't seen Big Game available for a little while and it's been even longer since I have seen Hunter available anywhere.

Are you sure that isn't a scam site? There are quite a few out there.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It might be, but that's not the big point. There ae plenty of legitimate sites out there that even if they don't have the powder you're looking for, will notify when some comes in. Which is still far easier than constantly checking local stores.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

kwg

Thanks for the update.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have had very consistent results with H-414 in 7mm Mauser, 6.5 Swed., 375 Wea. and even 6.5CM

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It might be, but that's not the big point. There ae plenty of legitimate sites out there that even if they don't have the powder you're looking for, will notify when some comes in. Which is still far easier than constantly checking local stores.
So very true. My LGS is an hour away one way and they seldom have anything I'm looking for. Midway USA, Natchez, Powder Valley ect are all reputable sites and if (at least for me) figure in drive time and gas it's much easier and cost efficient to shop on line even with the hazmat fee.

Last edited by GSPfan; 02/14/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Along with those, I've ordered quite a bit from Graf & Sons and Midsouth.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by hatari

Mule Deer....

Are you sure that isn't a scam site? There are quite a few out there.

Not taking credit cards is an excellent indication of a scam site. Beware!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I never minded the afterburn residue, it cleaned easily enough but I did find the accuracy and higher velocities across a number of cartridges very pleasing.

A couple of years back, literally days or weeks before price and availability became a topic. I saw an 8lb jug of 760.in a local store for $170. Had a half dozen single pound bottles on the shelf so ummed and aared several times over several visits and then, it was gone.

Nobody holds the patent on stupid decisions.

I might be able to one up you. Not a couple yrs ago, but last yr.......Feb to be exact, I could've gotten two 8 lb jugs of Ramshot BG from a LGS for $190 a jug, but I had to buy 2 jugs. Didn't feel like laying out $400 for powder at that time. Can't get it for that price now!!

BG has jumped $10 on 1lb cans here just recently. Last yr it was $28, now it's $38 and out of stock. Next time it comes in it could be $42. I was at least smart enough to pick up 2 lbs at the old $28 price.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,935
Posts18,479,992
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.