Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Tim Olt makes wonderful knives. My other 'go to' maker is Rick Menefee. This is a Loveless style drop point by him.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Between Rick, Tim, and Godogs57, you can't go wrong.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Tim Olt makes wonderful knives. My other 'go to' maker is Rick Menefee. This is a Loveless style drop point by him.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Between Rick, Tim, and Godogs57, you can't go wrong.
Many thanks…

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by cotis
I am interested in getting a custom knife made. I know very little about knife makers, but that there seems to be many of them. So instead of wasting the next week on the internet researching things I am kindly asking for recommendations of makers to talk to.

I have a general idea of what I want:
1. a Bob Loveless style drop point hunter, or something very close to it
2. really good steel
3. a little more contemporary or modern look. Not exactly sure how to define it. I do not want stag or ivory handles, no mirror chrome finish
4. a nice sheath for a lefty

Budget?

Cotis,

You've gotten feedback on some great makers (though at least 4 are retired or semi-retired.)

By my count only 3 left standing actually make a knife similar to what you're looking for IF you truly want a Loveless style drop point/hollow ground/tapered tang/soldered guard per your picture. Couple of my friends from the "Knives and Blades" forum waaaay down at the bottom here, that you might not have known existed, have PM'd that they are staying out of this based on how the thread has segued from your actual question: i.e. "a knife maker to make a knife like this" in a "really good steel." These guys are seasoned experts and could really help you if you refine your parameters:

1.) Budget?, again as I asked above.
2.) Is it just the Loveless Drop Point blade shape or the full menu (guard/soldered/tapered tang/hollow grind? you're after?
3.) What, to you, constitutes "a really good steel?"

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes Mike E Miller!, makes his own sheaths too very nice!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by saddlering
Yes Mike E Miller!, makes his own sheaths too very nice!

+1

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 02/04/24.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B2

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I am interested in getting a custom knife made. I know very little about knife makers, but that there seems to be many of them. So instead of wasting the next week on the internet researching things I am kindly asking for recommendations of makers to talk to.

I have a general idea of what I want:
1. a Bob Loveless style drop point hunter, or something very close to it
2. really good steel
3. a little more contemporary or modern look. Not exactly sure how to define it. I do not want stag or ivory handles, no mirror chrome finish
4. a nice sheath for a lefty

Budget?

Cotis,

You've gotten feedback on some great makers (though at least 4 are retired or semi-retired.)

By my count only 3 left standing actually make a knife similar to what you're looking for IF you truly want a Loveless style drop point/hollow ground/tapered tang/soldered guard per your picture. Couple of my friends from the "Knives and Blades" forum waaaay down at the bottom here, that you might not have known existed, have PM'd that they are staying out of this based on how the thread has segued from your actual question: i.e. "a knife maker to make a knife like this" in a "really good steel." These guys are seasoned experts and could really help you if you refine your parameters:

1.) Budget?, again as I asked above.
2.) Is it just the Loveless Drop Point blade shape or the full menu (guard/soldered/tapered tang/hollow grind? you're after?
3.) What, to you, constitutes "a really good steel?"

Journeyman,
These are good questions. I do not have exact answers, but will number them as you asked.

1. Budget - I am seeing knives in the $250-$300 range. For the details and features I want that would be a steal. I fully expect to pay much more than that.
2. I am not stuck on this EXACT design. I like the general concept, but I am so far from an expert on designs it is not even funny. I believe my wants fall more into the "full menu". I want to have productive conversations with a quality knife builder and create something that both of us will be proud of
3. Again, talking out my ass. Probably something more than D2. There are so many good options and I am sure a good builder knows that and what he/she likes to use.

Thank you

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Make sure to purchase a knife made of steel that you have the ability to sharpen, which is obviously purely based on your sharpening system/technique.

I am fortunate that my friend has several thousand dollars tied up in a Tormek with every accessory and japanese water stones and a bunch of stuff I don't even know what he is talking about. He really went down the rabbit hole getting all the fancy stuff to sharpen knives. Think there is even a unicorn to pee on it for lubrication

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You can’t go wrong with Tim Olt and his pricing is way lower than you’d expect to pay.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
You can’t go wrong with Tim Olt and his pricing is way lower than you’d expect to pay.

I have a PM dialog going with him. Thank you

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRJ1960

I have a PM dialog going with him. Thank you

Good choice.

Mike Miller does his Cowboy model, a slender’er pattern with bolsters.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Skyblade knives are very nice also...you can google it and find the web site.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Robb10238
Most of my customs are from Kim Ralston out of MS. Mike Barranti makes his leather items. Both do great work and are great to work with.

I cannot find contact information for Kim Ralston. Can someone please share? Sounds like he is close enough to me that I could visit in person.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have my knives made by Lin Rhea out of Prattsville, AR. He has a lot of his sheaths made by Kenny Rowe from Hope, AR. Lin has a reputation for making some really nice Bowie knives but also makes a variety of other styles. I really enjoy going into the forge & watching him work. It’s nice to see a skilled craftsman plying his trade.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For hunters wanting a "using knife", you will be hard pressed to improve on McCrosky knives. You will skin and bone out half a dozen elk before you have to touch up the knife. A friend skinned 300 beaver before he had to sharpen his.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out this guy. I know him personally, LEO with Phoenix PD, works with my son. Does phenomenal work.

https://jmcquillan.com/

https://www.instagram.com/j.mcquillan_az/

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dan Thornburg, he posts lots of his work here as Dan308:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/19179474/1

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.