-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
we are cursed here with a State Attorney that will not prosecute, and a cadre of liberal judges (all but one trained right here at the ultra liberal UF law school). This is just one example of how crime is handled here.
https://alachuachronicle.com/man-on...sPF_YjNC3DSixY9rCyootLgCYruijLrIkC_vQIGA
Coleman was arrested in February 2023 for stealing and pawning items from an apartment, including a PlayStation. He was released on his own recognizance but soon violated his pre-trial release conditions by failing to contact Court Services as required. He was re-arrested in April and again released on his own recognizance. He failed to appear at a court date a week later and was arrested again in June. He entered into a plea agreement in July for 18 months of probation, with adjudication of guilt withheld. He failed to report to his probation officer, and a warrant for his arrest was issued in September.

He was arrested again in October 2023 and charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of alcohol by an individual under 21. He was sentenced to 18 days of jail, with credit for 18 days served, plus two years of probation.

He was also sentenced to 61 days of jail in the first case for violating probation, with credit for 61 days served.

He again failed to report to his probation officer and did not appear to be living at the address he reported for his residence, so another warrant for his arrest was issued in January for violating probation. The affidavit filed by his probation officer stated, “On 11/15/2023, this officer went over the offender’s Drug Offender Orders thoroughly so the offender would succeed this time concerning [probation] as this is the offender’s second time on [probation].”

Coleman has two felony convictions (none violent). He is being held without bail.

Sam......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sounds like it's time for a little street justice to be administered. First to the scumbag who's committing the crimes, and then to a few legal beagles and judges.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our legal system is a mess. Minor crimes get long sentences and violent perps walk.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
It all depends on your political leanings. People who are the lefties pets get to schitt on everyone with no consequences. Beware it only works one way though.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It is hard to tell many details from the short clip but I am interested in what people think should have happened? What sentence he should have received?

Theft of a play station and pawning it?

Possession of controlled substance and alcohol by person under 21?

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Dunno why they bother to "catch"
When you know they'll go straight to "release".

Failure to abide by the initial terms should mean "Go to jail, go straight to jail, do NOT pass Go," ........etc.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
It is hard to tell many details from the short clip but I am interested in what people think should have happened? What sentence he should have received?

Theft of a play station and pawning it?

Possession of controlled substance and alcohol by person under 21?

Classification of Theft Offenses and Penalties in Nebraska

Like many other states, Nebraska classifies most theft crimes based on the dollar value of the property involved. Let's take a closer look at the different levels of theft penalties under Nebraska law.

Class II Misdemeanor Theft

Theft constitutes a Class II misdemeanor in Nebraska when the value of the stolen property or services is $500 or less. This is the lowest-level theft offense under Nebraska law. A person who commits a Class II misdemeanor theft faces up to six months in jail and a fine of $1,000.

Class I Misdemeanor Theft

A person commits a Class I misdemeanor theft when the value of the stolen property or services involved is more than $500 but less than $1,500. In such a case, the offender is subject to up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Also, a second conviction for a Class II misdemeanor theft (involving $500 or less) bumps the offense up to a Class I misdemeanor theft.

Class IV Felony Theft

Theft constitutes a Class IV felony in Nebraska when the value of the stolen property or services is at least $1,500 but less than $5,000. Under Nebraska law, a Class IV felony is punishable by up to two years in prison and a fine of no more than $10,000.

The law also provides Class IV felony penalties for:

a second or subsequent conviction of a Class I misdemeanor theft (involving between $500 to $1,500), and
a third or subsequent conviction of a Class II misdemeanor theft (involving $500 or less).
Class IIA Felony Theft

Theft constitutes a Class IIA felony in Nebraska when the value of the property or services involved is $5,000 or more. A person convicted of a Class IIA felony faces up to 20 years in prison.

Habitual Felons

Nebraska imposes stiff penalties for repeat felony offenders. A person convicted of a third felony faces a mandatory prison sentence of ten to 60 years' incarceration.

Add possible burglary to theft = Felony

Possession of alcohol and controlled substance by under 21 the alcohol is a misdemeanor the other is a Felony. Here he'd be in prison.

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.