Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Had that problem last week and went from Safari to Firefox and fixed it.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
I have been notified that McAfee has now been blocked. It may take a while to completely implement, but just a heads up that a switch has been thrown.

McAfee blazed my Chromebook badly this morning. It was sounding an alarm tone and all sorts of bullchit.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Weird the blame is directed at individual users. I use my IPad with Safari 365 days a year for 10 years and never had virus or pop up issues except for the past week on this site. I currently have 15 tabs open and the only site that presents issues is 24 Hr Campfire with Mcafee spam. So this is my fault?

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick, thanks for all you do!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
McAfee is being an annoying bitch again this morning.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Its not the browser, I have used 4 different ones and haven’t seen a McAfee or any other pop up in iOS, win10 & 11 or linux in months.

Swifty
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Do you want the same advice that's been given here about 1,458 times?

Don’t be so grumpy. This is new.

Odd that many of us are never plagued by these sorts of problems.

I know and it is on all my mobile devices but not on my laptop. All using Chrome.

Interesting isn't it? No one recommended using Crappy Chrome but Brave was recommended.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not going to post the whole thing but McAfee knows about it. Yes, it can be an individual thing.

https://www.mcafee.com/learn/how-to-stop-the-popups/

McAfee is tracking an increase in the use of deceptive popups that mislead some users into taking action, while annoying many others. A significant portion is attributed to browser-based push notifications,

1. Note the name of the site sending the notification in the popup itself. It’s located next to the browser name, for example:

2. Go to your browser settings’ notification section

For Chrome, go here: chrome://settings/content/notifications
For Edge, go here: edge://settings/content/notifications
3. Search for the site name and click the 3 dotes next to the entry.

Chrome’s notification settings

4. Select Block

Swifty
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Rick, thanks for all you do!

Except for the F'n pop-ups.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Not going to post the whole thing but McAfee knows about it. Yes, it can be an individual thing.

https://www.mcafee.com/learn/how-to-stop-the-popups/

McAfee is tracking an increase in the use of deceptive popups that mislead some users into taking action, while annoying many others. A significant portion is attributed to browser-based push notifications,

1. Note the name of the site sending the notification in the popup itself. It’s located next to the browser name, for example:

2. Go to your browser settings’ notification section

For Chrome, go here: chrome://settings/content/notifications
For Edge, go here: edge://settings/content/notifications
3. Search for the site name and click the 3 dotes next to the entry.

Chrome’s notification settings

4. Select Block

This type of stuff (in broad terms) has been going on for many years. I was the Systems Administrator for a law firm for 26 years. (I retired in 2018 for a time frame reference). I had about 165 users on our office network. Especially back when Internet access was a fairly new "thing", users would click OK on just about anything that popped up on their screen while using a web browser.

Back in the day, Yahoo was notorious for installing a browser menu bar that did all kinds of redirects and advertising. Weather Bug was another one. There were several malware programs that would install themselves and then do DNS redirects in the browser. Advertising popup windows were common and numerous.

(What is DNS? | How DNS works: https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-dns/)

For folks here that are complaining about popups, I wonder if they've done any scanning for malware on their computers? AND, not just relied on the current anti-virus / anti-malware software they may already have installed? It would be a good idea to try an additional program to see if it catches anything that their current anti-virus / anti-malware program is not detecting. Heck, their current anti-virus / anti-malware program could have been attacked and disabled. They should check to make sure its functioning properly.

As one example, Malwarebytes has a free one. See: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download

Oh, and at least for those folks running Windows, I strongly suggest installing the Ghostery and uBlock Origin browser extensions if available for their particular browser. (It's been many years since I used any Apple products so I can't really offer any advice there.)

For reference, I'm using a laptop computer running Windows 10 Pro. I'm using the Chrome browser with the Ghostery and uBlock Origin browser extensions. I'm also running the Avast anti-virus software (they have a free version). I experience ZERO problems using this website and I NEVER see a popup advertisement.

Anyway... It's just a suggestion.

Cheers! Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.