Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This summer.Gettysburg WW2 museum
It’s always a 2 or 3 day trip for me, because I love to spend my time on the Battlefield. I’m stay away from most of the museums, and the visitors center is now as much of a tourist trap as it is a learning center.😟🤬
National Parks should be run by the NPS. Allowing for profit organizations to be involved has spoiled it for most of us who love the history.
Hopefully this WW2 museum will stick to actually teaching folks the true history and leave the revisionist crap out.
We’ll see. Me and Jake are figuring on a trip in late spring. He loves the history as I do, but we’re sure to check this out.
I wish The Old Man was still around. He was a veteran of the Second Armored Division, from Normandy to the end of the war.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am married to the same lady now, for almost 50 years. June is our anniversary date and we are planning a trip to Gettysburg sometime in May. I have asked numerous people that say to plan on a couple days there and a few short trips to other battlefields nearby.

Our plans are not yet made, but hoping to solidify soon and get proper reservations for airplanes and rental cars…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Off the top of my head I would suggest Sharpsburg, Maryland and Harpers Ferry.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Henryseale

Absolutely, and not far from Gettysburg either.

All Americans should do a tour of Gettysburg, IMHO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by Henryseale

Absolutely, and not far from Gettysburg either.

All Americans should do a tour of Gettysburg, IMHO.

And include the Custer Battlefield…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don’t forget Chickamauga

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Please let me know once you’ve finalized your plans!
I’m only 90 miles away, and you are most definitely someone I would love to meet, and spend time getting together personally.
I’m also not a bad tour guide for Gettysburg and Antietam, and would be happy to pitch in on getting a professional licensed guide. Those park rangers really know their stuff!
I look forward to hearing from you. Like I said, me and Jake are planning a visit anyway once it warms up.
BTW, 50 years? You have my congratulations and my envy!😀
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
By the way,Colton Motel is just on the edge of town, Stienwire Avenue, close to the visitors center and Cemetery Ridge. Carol and I and Penny and I would usually stay there.
I haven’t been there in a few years, but you might want to check it out.
Plenty of food and attractions walking distance. Check into those ghost walks too. I bet you and your Mrs would enjoy it. We always did!😀
Reon

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Reon have you been to the new living history museum in Gettysburg ?

Last edited by earlybrd; 02/05/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I am married to the same lady now, for almost 50 years. June is our anniversary date and we are planning a trip to Gettysburg sometime in May. I have asked numerous people that say to plan on a couple days there and a few short trips to other battlefields nearby.

Our plans are not yet made, but hoping to solidify soon and get proper reservations for airplanes and rental cars…

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary! We jumped historic time periods on our trip last year. We did 3 nights and 2 days in Gettysburg and could have spent more time there. We also spent 4 nights and 3 days in Colonial Williamsburg and easily could have spent a couple more days there. (That is a national treasure of living history if you have never been there!) It also is a short drive to the Yorktown Battlefield and Jamestown historic area from Williamsburg. Our visit to Monticello near Charlottesville, VA also was nice, but a bit out of the way if you are traveling directly between Gettysburg and Williamsburg. Just some things to think about.

Enjoy your trip.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
had a chance to take one of my kids up for a summer program at the Naval academy a few years ago. Went by Gettysburg on the way back.

Its an amazing place, I didn't know what to expect. I definitely would want to go back.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years ago toured Gettysburg and Antietam on Memorial Day weekend. At Antietam, came over a hill in the car and there was a huge Union encampment of re-enactors. White canvas tents, cooking fires, horses and armament, etc. You might be able to catch some of that.

Old guy, old guns.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
South mountain foxes and turners gaps are a must see

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No, I haven’t. It’s been 2 years since I last was there.
Shrapnel, while we’re on the subject, I’ll suggest a couple books that I have, and value very much on my visits.
Gettysburg Monuments
Silent Sentinels
I use them both as Battlefield tour guides for each trip, and they always add to my enjoyment.
I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, read up on it, visit the NPS websites for tours and living history Re-enactment information, and such as you might want to see.
I always have a great time doing things like this, always learning something new.
Plan ahead, but don’t nail yourselves down.
Allow some time to get sidetracked, because there’s always something you need to check out.
Save some room in your luggage. I have few books that you’ve welcome to if you want!
Reon

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 02/05/24.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cheyenne, Penny and I had the same problem when we went to Montana and Wyoming. We allowed a week in Cody for the Buffalo Bill museum and Yellowstone. I could have spent quite a few more days, and still wouldn’t have had all the time I wish we did!
Same with Medora and Roosevelt Park, and particularly LBH!
I’ll admit, I have an ulterior motive here. If i ever get back out there, I want to have a few friends who know their way around!😀
You can’t beat having someone local who knows the ropes!😀
Same with Birdy and Kaywoodie. I hope to make it to Texas again before I shuck this mortal coil!😀
Reon

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to make it a point to get there this year. I've been so busy with my hunting camp last two years I haven't done anything else

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Don’t forget Chickamauga

One of my ancestors died there.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Next time I go to sharpsburg I need to locate cemetary hill some of my ppls turned Burnside there

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 1234, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.