Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Originally Posted by beretzs
For me, I’d just wanna make sure the ejected case goes out at 90 degrees from the ejection port. A few of the CA rifles tossed the ejected case right into the windage turret. Not sure if that was a function of the dual ejectors or M16 style extractor but it was enough of a pain I’d not wanna deal with it again.

Never had that issue with a 725/700.

Same here. My ridgeline throws that brass right into my turret. The model 700s extractor isn't weak BTW. I've got old 700s that'll toss the case 4 foot away. The plunger is what throws cases, the extractors job is to simply grab the case. Never seen one fail or am not worried about it. If your so spooked of it, grab a CRF gun and fire away.

Just re-read what I said. I don't believe the plungers "throw" cases, but help with ejection.

It's nothing more than a spring.

A thin slim piece of spring steel, and poorly thought out to boot.

Springs can and do break, the weak link between ejection or not.

I've had two break on me.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
HR IC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
For me, I’d just wanna make sure the ejected case goes out at 90 degrees from the ejection port. A few of the CA rifles tossed the ejected case right into the windage turret. Not sure if that was a function of the dual ejectors or M16 style extractor but it was enough of a pain I’d not wanna deal with it again.

This is what drives me nuts. I hate bouncing cases off my windage turret and back into the action. Almost every action with an m16 style extractor has done this for me. I've had the problem with christensens, stillers, mack bros, sake 85s being some of the worst, even had the problem with some howas. I much prefer an extractor in the lug area like a traditional 700. I like the bighorn actions and recently bergaras because of where the extractor is.

I still haven't found a custom action I really like for sure yet. I want an open top like a defiance anti so I can get my fingers in but with a bighorn style extractor and about a .68-.70 firing pin. I think the pins too small for a hunting action on an origin and I missed a big buck last year because my bolt knob came up a bit and I got a light strike.

I'd like to find a nice custom hunting action built for reliable function and ease of use. The gunwerks one is close i just wish it took standard rem threads and was timed for shouldered prefits.The last few years I've done more remage. Even though they're kind of ugly they work and I can do them myself.

I've been tempted to try a kelbly nanook even though it has an m16 style extractor. They claim that it won't eject into my windage turret because of the style of ejector.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I never had one go bad yet, but I did check with Brownells regarding availability and was told Remington hasn't made any parts for last 4 years. Just out of curiosity, what will make the extractor go bad? Number of rounds fired, hot loads or just time?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've locked bolts down before and used about every kind of brass/powder/bullets/primers, whatever. Seated em out, jumped them, and all my 700s have never had a problem. But, Kamfeld will slap an m16 in it for 125 bucks and that includes parts. Cheap piece of mind I guess.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just found some Remington Extractors (Rivetless) so I bought a few just in case

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
Who ever found this to be a necessary upgrade? I am aware that the Rem 700 extractor is "a weak design" but I have never had an issue. That said I am thinking of performing this surgery for a "piece of mind".

PS: Sako or M-16 extractor----either.

Thank you.

You are extremely lucky then. Almost every rem 700 I've had, had extraction issues. Not just the 700, but also the 722 models too. So, it isn't just a "piece of mind" thing for me. The only downfall to the sako/m16 style conversion is it eliminates the "3 rings of steel", so some say it weakens the design of the 700. Personally, I'd just buy a different push feed designed rifle, like a Sako or Tikka, or even the Winchester model 70. Have never had an issue with extraction on those models.

That is common with some Sako's that have the ejector in the wrong spot. Very poor design to put the ejector in the 6 o'clock position IMHO.. Some Sako's are not like that, like the one I just bought a few days ago (Sako AII).

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DubThomas
After having the old extractor on my 700 Ti in 7SAUM changed TWICE because it failed, I decided on the M-16 extractor. My GS did a great job and it works flawlessly.

Mine too. He installed a badger Ordnance magnum in my 700 for $125.

https://www.badgerordnance.com/shop/rifle-parts/part-type/extractors.html

Zero issues.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You are extremely lucky then. Almost every rem 700 I've had, had extraction issues.

You’re so predictable and full of sh it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Fotis
Who ever found this to be a necessary upgrade? I am aware that the Rem 700 extractor is "a weak design" but I have never had an issue. That said I am thinking of performing this surgery for a "piece of mind".

PS: Sako or M-16 extractor----either.

Thank you.

You are extremely lucky then. Almost every rem 700 I've had, had extraction issues. Not just the 700, but also the 722 models too. So, it isn't just a "piece of mind" thing for me.

How many have you had?

Offhand I can think of fourteen I've had over a stretch of 40+ years. Several of them have multiple thousand round counts. No difficulties/failures to extract yet.

Like they say, experiences vary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
100++ for me and never an issue. Nor has anyone I know. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have four m700s. I have the m16 extractor on one so far. I like them and will do all of them when I get around to it, the Remington are fine for now. I decided to do my 223 because I was shooting gobs of rounds through it and the factory extractor was screwing up and the replacements were not as reliable as they should be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot out (4) 223/223AI spouts on (1) 700 receiver alone,with it's OEM extractor. Bushed 'pin hole and turned pin though. Hint.

Just sayin'............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've shot out (4) 223/223AI spouts on (1) 700 receiver alone,with it's OEM extractor. Bushed 'pin hole and turned pin though. Hint.

Just sayin'............

Now there's an area where many 700s need work.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Just sayin'............

Not that many for me, but I've shot one 6.5x06 barrel damn near out and no problems. Same with a 243/243 ack.. never a problem. Locked the bolt down on the 6.5 once and the case came out....as did the primer when it hit my feet...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stick an empty case im that bolt and go to cranking on it, that little sucker is in there better than you'd think

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
(5) 7-08 barrels shot out on (1) 700. Hint.

Just sayin'...............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you need OEM type rivetless extractors, PT&G sells them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Remington extractor design has been essentially the same for 75 years. Regardless of how many barrels you supposedly shot out, others have shot and extracted more without issue.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I knew Chet Brown the founder of Brown Precision. He built hundreds of rifles on factory M700 actions. He said very very few original extractors ever fail. The few failures he saw were in the first 50 rounds. If they last that long then they never ever fail.

If you install a Sako/16 type extractor then the plunger ejector needs to be relocated in order to restore the original ejection angle.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Incidentally, Surgeon make the best rough duty 700 clone. The .473 bolts use the original extractor.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1lesfox, 58 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.