Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I mention first and second world wars since infantry rifles (perhaps excepting Russian 1895 Winchesters??) all had foreend wood top and bottom of each wood stock. Other than probably protecting the user during extended firing, did or does it serve another function - particularly in very cold weather, say, minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit and warmer?

Last edited by Naphtali; 02/02/24.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Might protect one's fingers from subzero metal. Don't lick the flagpole.

1Minute
G
G
I think it was just to protect the barrel. These were soldiers you know. Hell Brits would probably use an exposed barrel as a toothpick.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't know, but I'll guess, that it is relevant to manapulating the firearm in fixed bayonet configuration, for in-your-face combat.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Naphtali;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day's behaving for you all down in your section of Montana thus far and you're well.

In a lifetime of looking at lever guns and even owning a 95 rifle, I can't recall ever handling a military 95, but here's a photo of one where we can see it does have top wood, though no more than the carbine did which is a bit interesting.

[Linked Image from collegehillarsenal.com]

As far as I can recall reading on the question of wood to the muzzle or nearly so, I want to say it was as you noted to protect the user during extended firing, but also as AGL4now mentioned for bayonet use.

Here's another lever gun from Winchester that was issued to the RNWP, interestingly called a carbine thought it's not what we'd maybe think of as carbine length exactly. Interestingly this one has no top wood on the stock, but then no bayonet lug either so maybe that was the rationale there?

Or not, I have no clue.

[Linked Image from truewestmagazine.com]

From what I've read on the subject, that top wood did present some problems for some of the armorers tuning up rifles for military match or sniper duty.

Years ago a buddy showed me the bedding pads on a post WWII No.4 Mk 1 target rifle he'd picked up. As I recall it had a different rear sight, but the cool part was it's wooden box that it traveled to and from the military matches in.

Anyways sir, just some random thoughts from a BC redneck on the topic at hand.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,708
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.