Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by RiverRider
. . Feeders do not sustain wildlife, they manipulate their movement patterns.

Well. . . . Not all the time.
A place I hunted years ago southeast of Sonora, just
about midway between Sonora and the
Sutton/Edwards county line was poor poor poor,
and if it wasn't for the feeders, there probably
wouldn't be much of any whitetail deer at all.
A few scraggly oaks and mesquites, and the
odd prickly pear was about it. The landowner
had inherited the place and barely fed his cows
and goats, and if a rare blade of grass popped
up or an acorn or mesquite pod fell, there was
an animal standing right there to gobble it up.
The "nice" bucks were like some of the old
tweeker buck pencil racks that were around
when I started hunting in the 70's.
Anything with a thumb sized main beam was
a monster.
If it wasn't for the mountains of corn the
deer lease members distributed, it would
have been a total bust. I don't remember anybody
ever seeing a pig , only the rare javelina.
Very few of those.
You just told us feeders manipulated the movement of those deer. There is zero way those deer lived off what tiny amount of low quality feed a few feeders spread.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Coyotes eat the piglets as they can. If often works in our favor, if we can find a sow with tiny ones and kill her, then whatever of the little ones I can't kill, probably 50% or more disappear. Its a start at least.

Maybe thats why I tend to give coyotes somewhat of a pass. I"ve seen them come through with a piglet in their mouth more than once.

Yeah, from what I hear of the problems the hogs cause down there, I would think most predators would get a pass. Time to reintroduce jaguars!! 😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by RiverRider
. . Feeders do not sustain wildlife, they manipulate their movement patterns.

Well. . . . Not all the time.
A place I hunted years ago southeast of Sonora, just
about midway between Sonora and the
Sutton/Edwards county line was poor poor poor,
and if it wasn't for the feeders, there probably
wouldn't be much of any whitetail deer at all.
A few scraggly oaks and mesquites, and the
odd prickly pear was about it. The landowner
had inherited the place and barely fed his cows
and goats, and if a rare blade of grass popped
up or an acorn or mesquite pod fell, there was
an animal standing right there to gobble it up.
The "nice" bucks were like some of the old
tweeker buck pencil racks that were around
when I started hunting in the 70's.
Anything with a thumb sized main beam was
a monster.
If it wasn't for the mountains of corn the
deer lease members distributed, it would
have been a total bust. I don't remember anybody
ever seeing a pig , only the rare javelina.
Very few of those.
You just told us feeders manipulated the movement of those deer. There is zero way those deer lived off what tiny amount of low quality feed a few feeders spread.

I, not Ranger, made the assertion that feeders only manipulate movement of wildlife (and not deer exclusively).

Ranger made an assertion from which one might infer that feeders had sustained deer, not I. I'd also make the case that the conclusion that the feeders had sustained the deer is a faulty one.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
in this neck of the woods the biggest contributor to the feral hog issue is the guys that take pigs in the mark twain national forest and turn them out. they thought it was a good idea so they could run their dogs well things are completely out of hand now and these boys if they get caught are heavily prosecuted. the damage to farmland is real when they get in the more agricultural areas. anybody that says it isn't is an absolute fool..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
in this neck of the woods the biggest contributor to the feral hog issue is the guys that take pigs in the mark twain national forest and turn them out. they thought it was a good idea so they could run their dogs well things are completely out of hand now and these boys if they get caught are heavily prosecuted. the damage to farmland is real when they get in the more agricultural areas. anybody that says it isn't is an absolute fool..

Pretty good assessment.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So I guess we can bring g those Escobar Hippos to Denmark then.....

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I’d be the first to ask a dirty sodbuster in Texas when they or their families arrived as an invasive species.

Leave the damn pigs alone !
Hogs ARE invasive, and feeders make up a large part of all wildlife diet. No feeders, no hogs.
Thats so far from the truth. Hogs eat other than feeder stuff most of their lives. They won't even touch feeders when other food is around and thats most of the year. You can MAKE them dependant on a feeder depending how you do it, but naturally they dont' rely on feeders.
Camaras on feeders tell a different story. Pigs will eat about anything, But feeders are their number one choice and once accustomed to them they stop traveling for food, Stay put and root up vegetation that deer might have eaten. Basically destroying the carring capacity of the area if not controlled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
So I guess we can bring g those Escobar Hippos to Denmark then.....

Maybe Hippos eat hogs...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also eat Zebra mussels, Python, Axis deer, lion fish, carp, and much more.

Overcome and adapt fuggers !

Too phuggin many mushrooms!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d be the first to ask a dirty sodbuster in Texas when they or their families arrived as an invasive species.

Hogs ARE invasive, and feeders make up a large part of all wildlife diet. No feeders, no hogs.
Thats so far from the truth. Hogs eat other than feeder stuff most of their lives. They won't even touch feeders when other food is around and thats most of the year. You can MAKE them dependant on a feeder depending how you do it, but naturally they dont' rely on feeders.
Camaras on feeders tell a different story. Pigs will eat about anything, But feeders are their number one choice and once accustomed to them they stop traveling for food, Stay put and root up vegetation that deer might have eaten. Basically destroying the carring capacity of the area if not controlled.

LOL.

I wouldn't say that you know nothing, but I'd say that it appears that most of what you know is wrong.

Cameras on feeders don't tell you anything other than pigs came to the feeder. You seem to be in the habit of reaching rock solid conclusions based on mushy observations, and damned few of them to boot.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Artificial feed sources support artificial animal populations.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

IF provided in sufficient quantity.

Don't be the darkness.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
It don't take too dang much.

More of a timing issue.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That's prolly why the 40 or so collared doves were hanging out on the phone wires this morning, waiting for the 50 or so pinyon jays to come in and say it's safe to come eat the scratch I put out for the two coveys of quail that hang out around here? Or the juncos that hang around most of the winter after they come out of the high country?

Maybe this fellow wouldn't have been hanging out, preening, on the garden fence yesterday as it waits for the house sparrows that come in to eat the chicken food? Or, instead of sparrows it was hoping I'd let the hens out of the Gulag on day parole?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now, the question might be asked how many of those birds would exist if I weren't feeding them? The robins have no problem getting fat on what they find around here as I don't see them feeding on the scratch or peanuts I put out. Just the highly abundant juniper berries this year and as it's been a mild winter whatever bugs and worms their finding in the yards. I'm pretty sure I've seen an increase in the jay population since we moved in, the invasive doves too. Caused by me?? or the other neighbors I know around here that feed birds too?

The authors of that article will get no argument from me about pigs (feral or any other type) increasing the diversity of the plant life in the area. That's cool, unless they're increasing it in a way that introduces nice things like cheat and medusa, or even junipers here which are considered "invasive" into the sagebrush/grasslands around this place. (The robins and other juniper berry eaters have done a wonderful job so far already)

As others have pointed out, pigs (and other critters) spreading diversity into farm/ranch land are not really doing the Humans in that area a favor.

"Biodiversity" is a great thing in some areas. I wish there was more on the BLM land behind this place. Having lived in a couple of places that were very similar habitat, I just know a good sized herd of elk could live here. My rancher neighbor that holds the grazing lease would probably not appreciate them eating the grass his cattle would like to eat though. The other neighbors would not like them getting into their hay stacks and pastures either I bet. But boy, it sure would be nice to maybe be able to draw an elk tag right out the back door.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bull fuggin chit !

300 years plus of hogs, record numbers now, and record numbers of whitetail deer !

Just like every other subject on here, y’all take what you read as fuggin Gospel.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/07/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Liberal trash article/author.

The other liberal trash will repeat it for years though...

PREZACTLY!!! Barry nails it as per usual.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Bull fuggin chit !

300 years plus of hogs, record numbers now, and record numbers of whitetail deer !

Just like every other subject on here, y’all take what you read as fuggin Gospel.

yeah I'm sure it was overrun with feral hogs 300 years ago. the little javelina is not the same thing. even like the wild Russian boars that if you were imported some time ago are not the same thing..
the idea of intelligence escaped you years ago didn't it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You fuggers need to start learning history, even in the 1800’s there were so many gawddarned hogs they used to round them up with dogs in Texas Hill Country and do hog drives to market like cattle drives !

Not Javelina !

Hogs and their lineage have been in the Americas longer than most of you Fuggin immigrants!

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/08/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I also eat Zebra mussels, Python, Axis deer, lion fish, carp, and much more.

Overcome and adapt fuggers !

You sounding like a hero..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, a survivor!

Mutha fuggers will eat bacon, porkchops, and ribs from the store until their fuggin heart seizes up but want to kill all the feral hogs.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/08/24.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.