Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My dad passed away two months ago and I inherited his Remmy 700 ADL 7mm, and his Weatherby Mark 5 Deluxe 300wby. I’m not touching his 7mm, but he dropped his WBY years ago when we were hunting white tail in WA state, and it always pissed him off, and he wanted it refinished. I figured I’d grant his wishes and have it fixed, but that got me thinking. His Remmy was his gun for 40 years, and he bought the WBY later in life, so he wasn’t nearly as attached to it. The stock is the standard WBY stock, which is fricken huge. Has anyone ever trimmed a wood stocked WBY down to make it more comfortable to carry and lighten it up?

Chances of me hunting with it as is, is pretty slim, but I’d like to hunt with it, and it just seems there’s so much wood that can be taken off it. TIA

Last edited by jetjockey; 02/04/24.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What I have done (not specifically a Weatherby) is find a gunsmith/stock maker who can trim them up. They use wood rasps, power tools, etc and can get them very slim. I have had a MI Garand slimmed up, every Boyds I ever bought, and a couple of pre finished Richards Microfit stocks. I had two checkered by Ahlman's. You can do it yourself if you too are handy with a wood rasp, sandpaper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Need some before and after pics for this one.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
What I have done (not specifically a Weatherby) is find a gunsmith/stock maker who can trim them up. They use wood rasps, power tools, etc and can get them very slim. I have had a MI Garand slimmed up, every Boyds I ever bought, and a couple of pre finished Richards Microfit stocks. I had two checkered by Ahlman's. You can do it yourself if you too are handy with a wood rasp, sandpaper.

I have a stock maker who will do it. Now just deciding if I’m going to pull the trigger. I’m guessing it will drop the value of the gun, but I don’t plan on selling it anyway. Also might look for a used WBY stock with good wood to have reshaped, and keep the original stock as is. I HATE plastic stocks, otherwise I’d go that direction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jetjockey

I have a stock maker who will do it. Now just deciding if I’m going to pull the trigger. I’m guessing it will drop the value of the gun, but I don’t plan on selling it anyway. Also might look for a used WBY stock with good wood to have reshaped, and keep the original stock as is. I HATE plastic stocks, otherwise I’d go that direction.

As a anti-Trump liberal you shouldn't even be allowed to own a gun... leave the damn Weatherby alone, fool

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by jetjockey

As a anti-Trump liberal you shouldn't even be allowed to own a gun... leave the damn Weatherby alone, fool

🤣🤣. So I guess you’re now against the 2nd Amendment? I can’t keep up with your flip flopping. Btw, I own lots of guns. Lots and lots of guns. And I’m not a liberal.

Last edited by jetjockey; 02/06/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I never cared much for the Weatherby Mark V stock. Too garish for me. I did find a European Weatherby Mark V that I lusted for in a pawn shop. Clean classic design and a semi gloss finish. I think it may have had a spoon bolt handle. Anyone else remember them? I never could get them haggled down to my pocketbook. I handled it every time I went in. They kept it for years. I did have a Howa Weatherby Vanguard in synthetic stock 300 Weatherby for one season. Timber company clear cut our lease the summer before deer season. I figured we would only get long shots and needed a “bean field type rifle”. The Weatherby was the cheapest next best thing. Cartridges were expensive and it stomped me at the bench. My 30/06 killed as well or better so it went down the road.

Last edited by carrollco; 02/06/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.