Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las
Or kill them off and take their honey, now, before they start using it up to over-winter. It's been done....

Twas me, I'd try to overwinter them and hive them in the spring- the start of a new, tasteful hobby!

It's kind of like finding a new, free set of tires, then buying the stuff to go with them. smile

or finding a case of ammo for a rifle you don't currently own, like a .416 Ribgy, and deciding not to sell the ammo but just buy a rifle and plane tickets to the Dark Continent?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ask this guy.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Maybe you could cut several layers of cardboard to wrap over the split opening and fasten it to the trunk. Then cover that with a blanket and tarp. And seal the top as suggested earlier using screws and plywood with a hole opening.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buddy and I found a hive and honeycomb in a timber one day. We knew nothing about bees, but wanted some wild honey.
Went back that night in his pickup truck after dark. I was wearing a pair of insulated coveralls, gloves and a motorcycle helmet. Taped up all the seams.

I went in and cut out the honeycomb with a flashlight. Got into the back of the pickup and drove about 10 miles to my house. Wind blew off any bees. It was good honey.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Cecil56
Buddy and I found a hive and honeycomb in a timber one day. We knew nothing about bees, but wanted some wild honey.
Went back that night in his pickup truck after dark. I was wearing a pair of insulated coveralls, gloves and a motorcycle helmet. Taped up all the seams.

I went in and cut out the honeycomb with a flashlight. Got into the back of the pickup and drove about 10 miles to my house. Wind blew off any bees. It was good honey.

Must have been a sharp flashlight!

smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My youngest son was still living at home and in his first year as minister at our church. One Wednesday afternoon before Prayer Meeting, I was preparing supper ( all electric household) and we lost power. I looked out front and a tree had fallen from the hillside and spring. It partially blocked the road and took out our power lines. I called Delta Electric and they sent a truck in less than 15 minutes. The guy parks in our drive and bebops up to the tree to look the situation over. All of a sudden he backpedaled, fighting the air with his hard hat and hauling butt back to the truck, jumps in and rolls the windows up in the late July heat. Yep, found out real quick it was a hive tree. 2 other service trucks arrive and park on the other side of the road. They hold a conference then go to their tool boxes and dig out 5-6 cans of wasp/hornet spray which is placed into a plastic bag and handed off to the youngest guy ( last hire, low seniority). He’s busy putting on his yellow rain suit and duct taping the sleeves and pants legs cuffs. He then puts his heavy gloves, hard hat, sunglasses and advances in the 95* heat with the bag of spray cans. He would spray a bit, then retreat, spray a bit, then retreat. He did this till he was out of ammo ( spray cans). By then, heat stroke had nearly set in and he was on a tail gate, ripping off the duct tape and rain gear, and dipping a towel in his Gott cooler and wrapping his head up like a Arab. One eye was swollen shut and his ears looked like they belonged to a MMA fighter. The wild bees had worked him over. It took a bit to get the mess cleaned up and power restored. They had to call for the county to bring a chainsaw and a neighbor with a backhoe pushed the trunk out of the road. I was able to salvage some of the comb for beeswax for archery use. Supper was late.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Great Campfire story.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I found a couple guys at work that keep bees and they’re going to help me get set and move them if I can keep them insulated and alive through the weekend.

They advised against moving them until they looked at the pictures and saw that they are laying over past horizontal of the way the hive was built and their tree is broken up pretty badly. They figure that while the queen likely made it through the crash the odd angle of the combs has poured some of the honey out and otherwise wrecked their world so they probably won’t make the winter as exposed as they are and we might be able to save them and don’t have anything to lose at this point.

Their advice was since there’s 200 bales of hay stacked right nearby I’d do well to get a couple big armloads to gently pack around the openings for insulation followed by a tarp wrap.

If they survive until next week they’re going to set me up with an old box they have and we’ll transfer them into it and set it right close to where their original home was and let them do their thing.

I’m kind of excited at the prospect. I surely don’t need another project but they should be pretty low maintenance and a good way for my son to get an education not offered in school. Hopefully it will work out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
good luck again Kid. Sounds like a plan if you can keep them warm enough.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keeping them dry is as imporant as warm. They can stand a lot of cold if dry. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good plan.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That might work if you can just keep them warm and dry shift some honey and brood to the box and they might move themselves if you are lucky enough to find the queen move her to the new home and keep her trapped and the rest of the bees will follow.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I like the idea of using hay. Let us know how it all works out.

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I packed a bunch of grass hay around their log last night and covered it with a sheet of visqueen held down with some splits of firewood. I cut a hole in it up where I’d seen them coming and going out of the log so they have a door. I’ll go back and check on them middle of next week when the temps get back in the 40s and see if they made it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Any word on this?

G
G
I'm not smart enough to find the original post that started this thread, but here's my bee swarm story. I used to be a beekeeper when I was a kid.
I was in the Navy a long time ago at Miramar Naval Air Station near San Diego. I was working on an F-4 Phantom and had the radar antenna removed and sitting on the concrete beside the airplane. I went into the hangar to get something and when I came back I found that the antenna dish was full of bees, overflowing. What a crazy place for a bee swarm to settle. Jets roaring and smoking all around, nothing but concrete in every direction. So I went back to the hangar and told some guys about it and one of the guys (from AR, I think) had been a beekeeper. So we grabbed a big cardboard box and went out to the airplane and started scooping handfuls of bees into the box. A bunch of other guys came along and were amazed we could do that without getting stung. It took a bit of time but we finally got 90% of the bees into the box, and they were staying there mostly. That meant the queen was in there some place. We taped the box shut and poked some small holes in it for air. Then we took the box to the side of the hangar where there were some dumpsters and left it there. Then I called the SD county sheriff's office and asked if they had a list of beekeepers who might want the swarm. They did, and they called a guy and he came out to the base. We had to call the front gate and tell the Marine guards that he was invited to come in and get some bees. They laughed about it and gave him directions to the hangar. The beekeeper was amazed to see where we had found that swarm and he was sure happy to get them.

In this thread, tho, these bees are not a swarm. They have already moved into their new home and it would be pretty difficult to get them all moved out. When swarming, bees get into a strange mental state and are very docile and harmless. But it doesn't last long. I suppose if you could locate the queen and put her into a new hive nearby, the other bees would eventually all move in with her.

Last edited by gila_dog; 01/24/24.
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Any word on this?
Our cold snap lasted about twice as long as we thought it would but I happened to go check on them day before yesterday when it was in the low 40s. They were all bunched up but still alive and started to stir a little when I got close. I just put the hay and tarp back and left them covered up. It’s supposed to be in the mid 60’s next week and I might try to move them then.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
thanks for the update and good luck with it all Kid

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Any word on this?
Our cold snap lasted about twice as long as we thought it would but I happened to go check on them day before yesterday when it was in the low 40s. They were all bunched up but still alive and started to stir a little when I got close. I just put the hay and tarp back and left them covered up. It’s supposed to be in the mid 60’s next week and I might try to move them then.

Thanks for the update!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How are they doing? Were you able to move them?

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 52 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.