Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The comments are hilarious.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Beauty!

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting Steve, thanks.

Wonder if he got it on the timberlands I used to work on. Saw some real monsters back in there, but permits were few and far between.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good gracious.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Beast!

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
The comments are hilarious.

I noticed. Of course it's yahoo so what do expect in the libtard comments.

Beautiful elk!

Last edited by Morewood; 02/08/24.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Wonder if he got it on the timberlands I used to work on. Saw some real monsters back in there, but permits were few and far between.

I'm guessing somewhere in the vicinity of Orick.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Figure from this pic it was much of a 'hunt'?

The 'hunter' is an elk guide

Same guy has multiple elk records. I wonder how many of those are town elk...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by longarm; 02/08/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster

I'm guessing somewhere in the vicinity of Orick.

That's not a bad guess, especially now seeing the picture longarm just posted. A little wider shot and I might know exactly where that pic was taken.

longarm, not sure I'd call that herd "town elk" as in the same light as the town deer we have here. Assuming that pic was taken where I think it was, they are able to access those lawns, Redwood National and State Parks, and private timberlands too. Not sure, as the story doesn't mention much other than it was a rifle hunt, if he shot it around that housing area or not. I had a coworker that lived in some houses there along the old highway, the elk would jump the 6' fences to get in to eat their lawns and landscaping. Maybe he got the permission of the residents there (according to our laws in Cali) and shot it in someone's yard? Or with that tag he had, maybe he knew when they'd be up on the timberlands across the way.?

I tried looking him up, as he mentioned doing wildlife biology, but didn't have much luck finding a particular agency. Do you know for sure he works for F&G? He might work for the Park, FS, or even for a timber company. We had them at the company I worked for.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Dang.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Valsdad,

That was what I was told. However, as I haven't confirmed that piece of info I have deleted it above. Searching his name I get a match in Blue Lake at an outfitters service there. Blue Lake is just inland a short drive from Arcata, so that kind of adds up.
I've been through Orick a few times, most recently two Novembers ago. I seen elk every single time in peoples yards. Search the town name and the first image that pops up is a street clogged with elk.

An exceptional animal, for sure. I'm cautious re heaping much praise on the hunter in this case. As a friend said, "it's like those guys that sit in their trucks all day in Bend, Oregon waiting for one of the famous bucks to cross the road.."

On the other hand, I might be completely wrong. So there's that..

Last edited by longarm; 02/08/24.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I drew one of 25 NW Zone bull elk tags last year. CDFW gave successful applicants a list of phone numbers of land owners that would allow you to hunt on their property for a fee. I called most of them and discussed fees. After much deliberation I picked one land owner in the town of Orrick. He had a small cattle ranch along with 2 herds of elk. One herd had around 28 bulls and the other one consisted of cows, spikes and a few rag horns. After I drove up to talk to him my "hunt" was over. What occurred next was an elk "harvest".

At 78 years of age I was smart enough to realize that my days of elk hunting in wilderness areas and packing them out on my back were long over with. Also my house is paid for and I am debt free. This was not a high fence hunt and his eastern border was Redwood Natl Park.

So I paid his asking price of $4,000 and harvested a very nice bull elk at 0730 opening day. He has a very pretty 6X6 rack with 2 small cheaters on his skull so that officially makes him a 7X7. The rancher told me that this was possibly the largest body size bull ever shot on his ranch and he estimated he would go around 1,000 pounds on the hoof. Another hunter shot a bull with 8 points on each side but its body was noticeably smaller than the one I shot.

A local very large timber company is enrolled in the PLM program and a tag to have a chance to take a bull as large as the one in the photo above cost somewhere in the vicinity of $20,000. My free zer is full of very good elk meat and I gave my buddy that accompanied me a quarter of the elk.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That doesn't look like BuzzH in the pic??
#whatthahell

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dayuum

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

I can't say too much here, my son works for one of the largest timber owners, but like all California draws, premium tags mysteriously seem to get drawn by people involved in projects and programs with Calif Dept of Fish and Wildlife. The draw odds to the west of me, Marble Mtn rifle, are .03%...that's 3/10ths of 1 % and you need 19 points. And amazingly, biologists, CDFW employees, USFS Elk monitoring employees get drawn in astonishing numbers. Big donors to the Roosevelt and Rocky programs fare very well also. Save your money guys, it's a rigged game.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mjs3240
I drew one of 25 NW Zone bull elk tags last year. CDFW gave successful applicants a list of phone numbers of land owners that would allow you to hunt on their property for a fee. I called most of them and discussed fees. After much deliberation I picked one land owner in the town of Orrick. He had a small cattle ranch along with 2 herds of elk. One herd had around 28 bulls and the other one consisted of cows, spikes and a few rag horns. After I drove up to talk to him my "hunt" was over. What occurred next was an elk "harvest".

At 78 years of age I was smart enough to realize that my days of elk hunting in wilderness areas and packing them out on my back were long over with. Also my house is paid for and I am debt free. This was not a high fence hunt and his eastern border was Redwood Natl Park.

So I paid his asking price of $4,000 and harvested a very nice bull elk at 0730 opening day. He has a very pretty 6X6 rack with 2 small cheaters on his skull so that officially makes him a 7X7. The rancher told me that this was possibly the largest body size bull ever shot on his ranch and he estimated he would go around 1,000 pounds on the hoof. Another hunter shot a bull with 8 points on each side but its body was noticeably smaller than the one I shot.

A local very large timber company is enrolled in the PLM program and a tag to have a chance to take a bull as large as the one in the photo above cost somewhere in the vicinity of $20,000. My free zer is full of very good elk meat and I gave my buddy that accompanied me a quarter of the elk.

$20 grand ? Hardly worth it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My favorite bull isn’t my biggest, but he’s the one I worked the hardest for. Mt. Washington Wilderness Area, miles from the nearest road, no horses, hunting solo.

But that’s just me.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by longarm
Valsdad,

That was what I was told. However, as I haven't confirmed that piece of info I have deleted it above. Searching his name I get a match in Blue Lake at an outfitters service there. Blue Lake is just inland a short drive from Arcata, so that kind of adds up.
I've been through Orick a few times, most recently two Novembers ago. I seen elk every single time in peoples yards. Search the town name and the first image that pops up is a street clogged with elk.

An exceptional animal, for sure. I'm cautious re heaping much praise on the hunter in this case. As a friend said, "it's like those guys that sit in their trucks all day in Bend, Oregon waiting for one of the famous bucks to cross the road.."

On the other hand, I might be completely wrong. So there's that..
Thanks

I didn't find his Blue Lake info, found a Tim with his last name on an outfitter page from over in the San Bernadino area.

I'm rather familiar with the location of Blue Lake, having lived there for a bit while attending skuul.

In my researching last night, I see he took a P&Y archery record there, and guided an archer to another P&Y velvet record too. I'm guessing he has access to private land in the Orick area. I just looked at ownership on the OnX map, some places right to the N of town there that abut the Park, some bigger fields to the E of town too. I'm sure, "for a nominal service charge" the landowners might agree to allow trespass to get elk that are eating their grass.

If that's the case, I look at his exploits as not much different than folks in E WA that have locked up good pheasant and deer hunting areas by getting exclusive leases on farming areas and then "guiding" folks there. Or any other similar situation where there's little access for the DIY crowd. Probably not anything at all like a wilderness hunt, or even hunting in the NF and BLM around here or AZ like I do.

I've still got a contact or two in that area, perhaps I check to see if they know which agency he works for. As I mentioned, it might be one of the timber companies, as the article stated he works as a biologist during the spring. That would be when they do owl and murrelette surveys and such. He could then have the rest of the year for guiding.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjs3240

I'm happy you drew that tag. At your age it seems you made a sensible choice. Enjoy that meat, I most certainly would!

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 14,803 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,171
Posts18,543,004
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.