Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So aside from the obvious "off face" issue, I had a nice visit with George Caswell from Champlin at DSC and he also said taking the forearm off and shaking the rifle to see if it rattles and lastly, with the ction closed, holding it up to the light and if you see daylight between the flats and the barrels, that too is a sign. Now how about the position of the lever? I've heard that if the lever sits wither perfectly even or to the left of center line, that too is an indicator? Thoughts anyone?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve read that too about the top lever and doubles. My personal opinion is that position of the top lever depends on the way it was originally manufactured. Older doubles were literally hand made, parts were hand fitted and hand lapped (quality guns). So where was the lever originally? A few degrees right or very noticeable?

Caswell knows doubles as well as anyone, so his checkpoints can be adhered to.

Another thing about the top lever is that issue is usually in conversations about shotguns, which can have thousands of rounds through them. Damn few big bore rifles will approach 1000 rounds in their lifetime. Nobody takes their .470 to the range and pops off a hundred rounds, but that’s only 4 rounds of skeet with a scatter gun.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Removing the forend and checking if the gun rattles is not a good method to check if the gun is off face. In most doubles, shotguns and rifles, the forend iron intentionally loads the joint by pulling the hook forward into the hinge pin. This keeps the joint stable when the gun is assembled but loosens the joint for disassembly when the forend is removed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If the top lever is straight down or to the left of center it means the locking block is wore out and needs to be replaced. At least on a SxS or O/U shotgun IME.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by John55
If the top lever is straight down or to the left of center it means the locking block is wore out and needs to be replaced. At least on a SxS or O/U shotgun IME.

This is what Jerome (formerly with Verney Carron and now with Rigby) told me, he did add however, that the lever will move to the left as you shoot the gun and the locks/action "settle" into place. He also went on to say VC actions are the strongest out there and I agree.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.