Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great info in this thread!!!

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've used Montana Extreme with good results, but for a while now I've been using Bore Tech products.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I've used Montana Extreme with good results, but for a while now I've been using Bore Tech products.

Thanks mathman. I ordered some of that WO jordan suggested. I've never had a bore this copper fouled before, so this gives me a chance to try out some stuff I've been wanting to try. When I bought the rifle, both the shop owner and I knew it was pretty copper fouled. I'm actually surprised the rifle shot as well as it did. He gave me a heck of a deal on the rifle, because it needed a couple things, like the sling studs, and a little TLC and cleaning..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by devnull
I've had good luck with WipeOut and BoreTech Eliminator. Working a patch back and forth with Eliminator will lather it up. That's when I see it really start to work.

Thanks devnull. I'll use that technique, when it gets here.. I think I'm going to go and shoot the rifle a little bit today, and then hit it with some sweets afterwards as well. The wipe out should be here in a few days..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Update:

Well, I'm really liking this little rifle. It reminds me more of my pre 64 model 70's, than a Tikka though. I know it's not a Tikka, but Sako/Tikka are now made in the same facility. I was expecting it to act more like a Tikka. It is shooting a little better, after a little sweets 7.62 treatment. Yet, it still has copper in the bore. The Wipe Out should take care of the rest, then it will get the same regiment of Shooter's Choice, I give all of my rifles. She's looking pretty good though.

Today's range session, before the bad weather came in. Glad to get there before noon today, when the sun was out:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice blue sky for a little while too. Even the furry dogs came out to say hi:

This one was the only one to show his head. But not for long!!^^

I know, some of you guys like the 400 yard groups, so here goes:
Wind was blowing almost enough to take the 100gr Hornady BTSP interlocks off the paper. But they hung in there, just barely...

Second group at 400:

The third and 4th groups opened up a bit when the barrel heated up. Wind wasn't much. About 5-6 mph:

3rd group:

4th group:

Hopefully some of you guys enjoyed this thread. It is fun learning about new rifles. I'd like to add, that IF I run across another one of these rifles, I'd not hesitate to buy it!!!! Thanks again, to those that contributed and left their suggestions and input.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I feel the Sako A2 classic is a gem.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by woodson
I feel the Sako A2 classic is a gem.

I agree. I believe it's looking like it's a great hunting rifle. I like a lot of aspects of it. It seems like it has a bit of old world quality (very similar to the pre 64 model 70, as I said before), and functions very well/similarly. It could possibly be a rifle I reach for on yote hunts, deer or antelope hunts, and even shooting jackrabbits in the sage, and open desert. I look forward to playing around with this one some more. Generally when a new to me rifle shoots a 3/8" first group (or close to), I know it's going to be a keeper. Then it's going to have to prove it's reliable. This one seems to check that box as well..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Great info in this thread!!!

I got tired of searching the internet, as I know some of you guys know the feeling. I figured I'd just start this thread because I know there is a wealth of knowledge here. That is very much appreciated!!! I'm more of a model 70 guy, and also love my M1917's and Ruger 77's, but have only had one other Sako, and it was not a great rifle. It had some quirks/strange ejection pattern because of a design flaw. I often hear how good these older Sako's are though, and I knew these guys would know this one. Hell, there isn't even much on Youtube about these AII's. Maybe it's kind of a bastard child? It's not a "pre Garcia", and it lies in between the infamous Sako 85's etc..

However, for me, it checks a lot of boxes though. I like simple and reliable. I really like the ejector location, and the pre 64 model style hinged floor plate. The trigger isn't perfect, but it's a lot better since I adjusted it down to a minimum of 2 5/8 pounds. Shrap is right, you can't adjust them down much lower than 3 pounds, but this one is working very well at 2 5/8. It's pretty crisp, and I don't even notice that it's not 2 to 2 1/2 pounds, like my other rifles.

I also appreciate the info in this thread!!

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 8 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.