Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Is anyone shooting this rifle? I'm tempted. If anyone has one, how do you like it? Accurate? Varmint/Target or Sporter? TIA.

Tarquin
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Day before yesterday I almost posted the exact same thread, down to the last word in the title. I've been looking at them hard.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know about you guys, but I saw a beautiful NIB limited edition maple sporter for $700.00 a few weeks ago. I would have bought it, had I needed a 22wmr. Very nice little rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There was a review done by a gun magazine down here a few years back and that rifle was very accurate. I wanted one and still want one but they seem to be hen's teeth around here.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gamma4diesel: I have absolutely NO respect for "turdqueen" - but I will answer you.
I bought a beautifully stocked Browning T-Bolt Varmint (heavy barrel wide forearm stock) in 22 Magnum almost 3 years back - it shoots REALLY well, the trigger on mine is near excellent and very conducive to Ground Squirrel Hunting. Which is what I use it for mostly. The stock fits me perfectly and is very conducive to steadiness over sand bags.
Extraction and ejection has been perfect to date. I have a Zeiss 3x9 variable on my 22 Magnum T-Bolt and have been looking to trade for a more powerful A/O type variable.
I highly recommend the Varmint model - haven't had anything to do with the sporter weight T-Bolt's in 22 Magnum.
I bought a Belgium Browning sporter T-Bolt in 22 L.R. last year and only got to use it sparingly. The trigger is nice and function again is perfect. It has a Leupold 4 power rimfire scope on it - what a handy and handsome rig it is.
I say give one a try and best of luck if you do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a Tbolt 22 magnum for sale recently, but didnt handle it or check the price. It was the heavy barrel model that VarmintGuy described. It was gone when I went back to the store a couple of days later

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Friend of mine just got the new t bolt in maple stock in 22lr said trigger was crap so he put a jard in it, brought it to our factory gun match and came in 3rd place out of 42 shooters!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have the varmint/target model in 17 HMR. It's a very accurate rifle and I see no reason the 22 WMR would be any different. The magazine feeds flawlessly, my trigger is fine.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bodkin84
Friend of mine just got the new t bolt in maple stock in 22lr said trigger was crap so he put a jard in it, brought it to our factory gun match and came in 3rd place out of 42 shooters!

I was just looking at what they sell for on gunbroker, and like I told my girlfriend, I can't buy all the good deals!!! At $700.00, for a new rifle, and they are selling for over $1,500.00 on GB, it's tempting to go back. Even though I don't need another 22wmr!!!

Browning Tbolt maple stock sold for $1,634.99

Browning Tbolt 22WMR Maple stock, sold for $1,525.00

The 22lr's are selling for $800.00 on GB, as a comparison. The WMR's are more desirable/sought after, or so it seems.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, those are pretty

We deal in lead, friend.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not as pretty, but pretty efficient. The plastic version has an extra mag holder in the butt stock.

I had to do some work on the trigger, OEM version was too hard. It's pretty good, now.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a Browning T Bolt in .17 HMR a couple of years ago. It was a joy to shoot and was very accurate. I just gave it to my grandson for a Christmas gift.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought all three rimfire cartridges when Browning introduced the left handed models. The 22 Mag is the sporter model and shoots very well. My 17 HMR is the target/varmint model and is used almost exclusively on prairie dog walk about. I actually had my 22LR sporter rebarreled to 17 Mach II. All shoot very well and I have no issues with the triggers, feeding or ejecting empties.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Not as pretty, but pretty efficient. The plastic version has an extra mag holder in the butt stock.

I had to do some work on the trigger, OEM version was too hard. It's pretty good, now.

DF

A few years ago, looked hard at one of those with the heavier barrel. As per the norm, it sold before I decided to buy it.

I did buy one of them with the lighter weight barrel in 17 HMR. At that time locally, the 17 HMR was the most prevalent of on the shelf rimfire ammunition. The rifle was priced about 60-70 % of retail. It had some light scuffs on the barrel, apparently rack wear. I still have not gotten around to shooting it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I bought all three rimfire cartridges when Browning introduced the left handed models. The 22 Mag is the sporter model and shoots very well. My 17 HMR is the target/varmint model and is used almost exclusively on prairie dog walk about. I actually had my 22LR sporter rebarreled to 17 Mach II. All shoot very well and I have no issues with the triggers, feeding or ejecting empties.
IME the .17 HMR is gonna generally be a tad more accurate than the .22 WMR.

But, it wouldn't be fair to compare my .17 HMR, Annie 1717 to this T-Bolt .22 WMR. The Annie will shoot CCI TNT's at near quarter MOA, tipped bullet ammo around half MOA.

Although the T-Bolt is pretty accurate, it's more like MOA on a good day with select ammo.

Different guns, each in a different league.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think the .17 HMR makes a smaller hole than the .22 Mag.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cisco1
I think the .17 HMR makes a smaller hole than the .22 Mag.
I think you're right. Those one shot groups are gonna be smaller, for sure.

But the accuracy thing may be more a function of bullet quality.

The .17 moves more towards center fire rifle type bullets, away from rimfire type projectiles.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
IME the .17 HMR is gonna generally be a tad more accurate than the .22 WMR.

But, it wouldn't be fair to compare my .17 HMR, Annie 1717 to this T-Bolt .22 WMR. The Annie will shoot CCI TNT's at near quarter MOA, tipped bullet ammo around half MOA.

Although the T-Bolt is pretty accurate, it's more like MOA on a good day with select ammo.

Different guns, each in a different league.

DF

When the 17HMR came out, it dominated the 22wmr in the accuracy department. Mainly because of the bullets used. The 17HMR brought out the poly tipped bullets that were very sleek by design, while the old 22WMR bullets were mainly round nosed. It took a while for the bullet/ammo designers to start putting poly tipped bullets in the 22WMR, but when they did, that changed the game with the 22WMR. It was instantly changed forever. With that being said, the 17HMR still edges out the 22WMR when it comes to precision.

Keeping in mind, the 17HMR made its debut in 2002, and the first polymer tipped bullets used in the 22WMR was in 2008, or there abouts. I remember trying the Remington 33gr accutips first in my dads Mossberg chuckster, around that time, and it loved them!! Those bullets transformed the 22WMR. However, the 22WMR can also be used with the old reliable bullet types, like the heavy 50gr JHP's, that also work very well. Because of this, there is a lot of flexibility in the round. IMHO..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those 33 grain Accutips in my old Marlin bolt 22 WMR shoot amazing to this day. You're right how well they shot. It has been awhile since I have shot that rifle. It's lived a hard life.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Those 33 grain Accutips in my old Marlin bolt 22 WMR shoot amazing to this day. You're right how well they shot. It has been awhile since I have shot that rifle. It's lived a hard life.

I think I said this before, but the first time I tried them, i was amazed. I wish I had a truck load of that first lot I tried. The old rifle shot a 3/8" 10 shot group on its first try, with that ammo. I was pretty amazed with that performance from such an old rifle. It will outshoot most 22wmr's, in my experience.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (17Hunter, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,605
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.