Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Mutha fuukas would go full blown panic mode if there purina dog chow couldn’t be amazoned to there front porch

I guarantee you that 90 percent of the old tough guys here don't have a 50 pound sack of rice, flour or sugar in their house.
Jim, it's nothing to do with being an old tough guy. All this app crap, cell phones, internet didn't exist when I was growing up and we all did just fine, maybe we need going back to that way of life and slow down some, wouldn't hurt my feeling.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Originally Posted by 5sdad
F**K all aps. I am particularly pissed off by the ads that give you a deal if you use THE AP that is not available to you if you don't use it.

So then use the app, get the deal, and get on with life.

Its really not that difficult

Just like hitting 1 for English.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ya fuqk the kiosk while we’re at it 😃👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Mutha fuukas would go full blown panic mode if there purina dog chow couldn’t be amazoned to there front porch

I guarantee you that 90 percent of the old tough guys here don't have a 50 pound sack of rice, flour or sugar in their house.

I like multiples of #25 myself fit better in basement larder.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya fuqk the kiosk while we’re at it 😃👍

NOOOOO!

Thats how I make sure my order is right lol

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Adapt. It’s the world we live in. If you don’t adapt, you navigate at your own peril. I travel a lot for a living and the more I can use apps and talk to no one, the more seamless my adventure is. A good example is hotels, I book and pay through an app, I talk to no one, I check in with the app, I pay with the app, I pick my room with the app, I Bluetooth my room, key with the app, I walk into the hotel and don’t even talk to the front desk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smallfry
Adapt. It’s the world we live in. If you don’t adapt, you navigate at your own peril. I travel a lot for a living and the more I can use apps and talk to no one, the more seamless my adventure is. A good example is hotels, I book and pay through an app, I talk to no one, I check in with the app, I pay with the app, I pick my room with the app, I Bluetooth my room, key with the app, I walk into the hotel and don’t even talk to the front desk.

Absolutely agree.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 1minute
We live in the sticks, so fortunately this is not an everyday occurrence. Occasional trips to Metropolis, however, find us treated like second class citizens if we don't toe the line. I do own a cell phone but am not one that keeps it perpetually glued to his left hand. Actually, it's turned off 99.9% of the time and lives atop the microwave.

Dinning out now, even in some fine establishments, appears to be forcing one into the "app" world, and I'm resisting. Three issues: 1. Specialized orders like rare, medium, well-done, with/without some condiment. 2. Serving up one's personal data, home address, and financial institutions (i.e. credit/debit cards #'s, phone #'s, and e-mail accounts). I damned sure don't want daily e-mails from Benihana, Burger King, Big Boy, or anyone else on the specialty or deal of the hour, and 3. the requirement to pack around a $100/month implement just to interact in this world. Are we expected to die if our battery crashes?

I recently hit up a Dominos in Boise, and the clerk/cashier (an English-speaking white, Angelo Saxon Protestant believe it not) essentially replied with nothing but a blank stare when I asked for a Medium Deluxe from their menu while handing over the proper dollars and cents. Damned near like I had leprosy or something. A manager had to come over to save the day. I realize with rising wages etc, businesses are attempting to streamline and eliminate positions, but don't see it fitting in with service industries.

Anyone else resisting?

Most of the idiots at McD’s and BK couldn’t take your order without a picture of the Big Mack or Whopper on their cash register. Much less make change. 🤪

Thats why I prefer McDs, they have the kiosk that I can put in my order, make sure its what I want
Haven't been in one , or Jacks, BK, etc in years.

Is there an option on there for "fries, extra crispy, no salt"?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Power wuz out this am hadn’t seen the mrs in a 2 days had to catch up on luvin😍we go to Hardee’s for coughee and a biscuit and they fucd that up 2x

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi everyone,

I recently dined at the cheapest place I could possibly find, a place that competes exclusively on cheapness, and I have to say that their customer service did not suitably cater to me. My culinary expectations were certainly not met and I found their employees to lack the level of enthusiasm and respect that befits a man of my station.

In the future I will seek my $6 dinners elsewhere.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
We live in the sticks, so fortunately this is not an everyday occurrence. Occasional trips to Metropolis, however, find us treated like second class citizens if we don't toe the line. I do own a cell phone but am not one that keeps it perpetually glued to his left hand. Actually, it's turned off 99.9% of the time and lives atop the microwave.

Dinning out now, even in some fine establishments, appears to be forcing one into the "app" world, and I'm resisting. Three issues: 1. Specialized orders like rare, medium, well-done, with/without some condiment. 2. Serving up one's personal data, home address, and financial institutions (i.e. credit/debit cards #'s, phone #'s, and e-mail accounts). I damned sure don't want daily e-mails from Benihana, Burger King, Big Boy, or anyone else on the specialty or deal of the hour, and 3. the requirement to pack around a $100/month implement just to interact in this world. Are we expected to die if our battery crashes?

I recently hit up a Dominos in Boise, and the clerk/cashier (an English-speaking white, Angelo Saxon Protestant believe it not) essentially replied with nothing but a blank stare when I asked for a Medium Deluxe from their menu while handing over the proper dollars and cents. Damned near like I had leprosy or something. A manager had to come over to save the day. I realize with rising wages etc, businesses are attempting to streamline and eliminate positions, but don't see it fitting in with service industries.

Anyone else resisting?

Most of the idiots at McD’s and BK couldn’t take your order without a picture of the Big Mack or Whopper on their cash register. Much less make change. 🤪

Thats why I prefer McDs, they have the kiosk that I can put in my order, make sure its what I want

Not sure on extra crispy, I do know you can get them without salt. I order without salt so they make em fresh, then cover them in salt.

- Darth Vader
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will admit to being old, but I can close the door and write enough code to make those machines or your computer work. It's just that one can't anticipate every potential interacting issue or capture every possible error. Even NASA has crashed a few space vehicles.

We're often encouraged to use the grocery self-checkout. Seems weights, measures, or counts always throw them a curve, however, and a manager has to come out and rectify the problem. No time savings there. They are fine for a few prepackaged bar-coded items, but I typically decline with the comment that "it just always seems to piss me off."

As to dealing with people, some of them are damned cute. I even pause and interact with our local gas station attendants. We actually know each other names, I don't press 1 for English, and they will wash the windshield and check the oil.

With all of this automation, how difficult is it now to interact with a person when something goes to sh-t? One finds themselves in an endless do-loop cycle monitoring instructions for the 1 - 9 keys none of which are specific to your question.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/11/24.

1Minute
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
World's falling apart and the best you got is to bitch about technology you don't even use?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just read an article last night, sushi place over on the coast, 3 stores, going to an 18% "equity fee" on every check instead of tips.

Long story short, the back of the house workers, chefs and sushi rollers, made more money during the Corona lockdowns when the place went to takeout only, any tips were split between them. Started allowing dine in and the servers came back and started getting tips and having to share them with the back of the house employees, who ended up with less than they were making. Owner says hard to keep employees they've trained for years when the servers are making more money. Customers complained on social media and such that they were losing their control over who gets tipped for good service and who doesn't, said why not just raise wages for the cooks and others in the back? Owner's reply that would mean he'd have to charge more and he'd lose business competing with the other sushi place in town. Guess he didn't figure that adding an 18% equity fee amounted to exactly the same as adding 18% to the price on the menu???

I like most of our places here. Just regular restaurants. Was impressed when my wife and I went to the local lodge/motel restaurant last week. Our server, nice young lady with lip and nose rings, looked familiar. Seated us, took our order, told us to go get salad, came back with our food. I asked " did I see you working at the other restaurant in town?" Yep she says, keeping busy. Told my wife it was nice seeing a young person doing what they needed to make money. (for all you old fogies, note the lip and nose ring part and working 2 jobs cool )

By the way , I don't order with my phone, I keep as few apps as necessary on there and wish I could do away with some already.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Anyone else resisting?

Not sure on extra crispy, I do know you can get them without salt. I order without salt so they make em fresh, then cover them in salt.

Yeah, I can add my own salt, they have little packets.

Do you ever get them already salted because they didn't read the "app" order correctly?

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Hi everyone,

I recently dined at the cheapest place I could possibly find, a place that competes exclusively on cheapness, and I have to say that their customer service did not suitably cater to me. My culinary expectations were certainly not met and I found their employees to lack the level of enthusiasm and respect that befits a man of my station.

"Let them eat cake." (Yes, I know.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Hi everyone,

Are you old enough to enjoy the senior, early bird menu at the restaurants?

You might look into it, substantial discount over the regular menus.

Usually done with dinner in time to watch old Columbo reruns too.

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
If an app is required to order food I am eating somewhere else period. And I pay with money. I don't carry a cell phone around all the time. I am not installing a program on my phone to do business with someone.
I'm right with ya....
Originally Posted by 5sdad
F**K all aps. I am particularly pissed off by the ads that give you a deal if you use THE AP that is not available to you if you don't use it.
Agreed..

Anyone else resisting?

I walk right past that pos 'kiosk' and go right to the counter and order there... I prefer to deal with a HUMAN instead of some damned machine...

And I sure as hell don't need to have a 50# sack of rice on hand... Geez - what are you who do? Chinese??

The less I need some phone, the better I'll be.. YMMV.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Power wuz out this am hadn’t seen the mrs in a 2 days had to catch up on luvin😍we go to Hardee’s for coughee and a biscuit and they fucd that up 2x
Thet donr sound like no Hardees I knowed back in 19 and 79.

the werld has shoor chandge a mite

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hate phones of all kinds.

I love the looks I get when somebody says, "We'll text you" and I tell them I don't use a cell phone. It riles me when I try to do something online and the ONLY way I can log in is via some code that they want to text to me. How do they assume that every person in this country has a cell phone and uses it for everything?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,081
Posts18,521,825
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.