Plumdum thinks the war wuz over slavery

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
This looks interesting.
John Wilkes Booth
Not a fan of Lincoln. I hold him highly responsible for the Civil War, which I believe could have been avoided with a more even handed approach to the problem of succession.
Instead of attempting a peaceful solution, Lincoln called out 75000 militia to put down an armed rebellion.
He skillfully painted the South into a corner, forcing them to fire the first shots and appear in the north and abroad as the aggressors.
With that said, I still think that Booths shot in Fords Theater, was the single most destructive shot fired against the Confederacy in the war.
With Lincoln gone, the last moderating influence to the black republicans was removed as well.
With the vindictive feeling of the northern population, and with a weak executive like Andrew Johnson in the White House, they enforced a strict and damaging policy of reconstruction on the South.
It caused years of depression and even longer feelings of hatred in the southern states.
I think the whole damn thing could have been avoided…
Reon

The South attacked Fort Sumter, a federal military installation. 5 states seceded and the south seized all federal property within the south's borders before Lincoln ever took office. Lincoln declared repeatedly that he would not interfere with slavery in any state in which it then existed, but would only prevent its expansion in accordance with the intent of the Founders. In a letter to Alexander Stephens, the VP of the confederacy, Lincoln said that the only substantial difference between them was that Lincoln (and the North) thought slavery was wrong and the South thought it was right. Literally, the only thing Lincoln said or did that offended the South was to declare slavery "immoral". Exactly what more "even-handed" approach would you have had him take?

Last edited by Tarquin; 02/12/24.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not a fan of Lincoln. I hold him highly responsible for the Civil War, which I believe could have been avoided with a more even handed approach to the problem of succession.
Instead of attempting a peaceful solution, Lincoln called out 75000 militia to put down an armed rebellion.
If only Lincoln had respected the Constitution!

Lincoln is the one person who did respect it.

Tarquin
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Yes no disrespect to anybody in particular. One time I flew to NC for work at another one of our plants and when I was introduced there they said he's from SD but he's not a yankee. It just struck me at the time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LBP
Lincoln was up to the time the greatest traitor to the constitution and the nation. He had to die for his crimes against the south and even the north. People talk of how the south would have avoided reconstruction and returned to normal had he lived that’s simply not true, normal was gone. Booth was a patriot in my opinion, of course I’m jaded as I have ancestors that fought and died in every theater of the war.

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Completely and utterly false. Lincoln was the one person who acted in accord with the Constitution and the intent of the Founders.

Tarquin
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Did you have to memorize the Gettenberg address? I did.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by LBP
Lincoln was up to the time the greatest traitor to the constitution and the nation. He had to die for his crimes against the south and even the north. People talk of how the south would have avoided reconstruction and returned to normal had he lived that’s simply not true, normal was gone. Booth was a patriot in my opinion, of course I’m jaded as I have ancestors that fought and died in every theater of the war.

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Completely and utterly false. Lincoln was the one person who acted in accord with the Constitution and the intent of the Founders.

Just because you keep saying that bullschit like a broken record doesn’t make it so.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Tardqueen LOL🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

The Constitution obliquely references the Human Right of Freedom of Association in the 1st Amendment right of assembly.
"Consent of the governed" is a phrase found in the Declaration of Independence. That is a direct reference to the human right of association.

Whether it's in the Constitution or not, Freedom of Association is a human right. For instance, can the Gov't force you to marry someone? Can it compel you to join Rotary International?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supposedly, i am distantly related to JWB. Or so the story goes.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by LBP

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Just because you keep saying that bullschit like a broken record doesn’t make it so.

Prove me wrong.

Tarquin
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LBP

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Prove me wrong.

The American Military is not to be used against American Citizens. Doing doing so is a against the Constitution

Last edited by jwp475; 02/12/24.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Upperplainsman
Yes no disrespect to anybody in particular. One time I flew to NC for work at another one of our plants and when I was introduced there they said he's from SD but he's not a yankee. It just struck me at the time.
LOL

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by LBP

Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Prove me wrong.

The American Military is not to be used against American Citizens. Doing do is a against the Constitution
Yes

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The South seceded as was their right, and as a matter of rights demanded the North vacate forts within southern domains. The North refused, so the South attacked foreign forces within their borders. Lincoln instigated the Civil War. Sherman was a perfect monster in his sweep through the South. Not hard to imagine the hatred that resulted.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Robert E Lee was offered command of the union forces and declined saying his duty was Virginia first👍👍

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The South seceded as was their right, and as a matter of rights demanded the North vacate forts within southern domains. The North refused, so the South attacked foreign forces within their borders. Lincoln instigated the Civil War. Sherman was a perfect monster in his sweep through the South. Not hard to imagine the hatred that resulted.
Count Sheridan in on that

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"reconstructing". carpetbaggers, and scallywags.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm told they don't teach they don't teach any history to the kids.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My great grandmother survived the atrocities inflicted on the citizens of Nashville Tennessee by union soldiers from Ft. Negley during "reconstruction". There's a very good reason "damyankee" is still one word and always will be!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1234, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.