Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You are sucking the wrong ass. Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by mathman
Then tighten the twist and go 6mm Creedmoor.

Personally, I'd find a manufacturer who would provide the contour I want in stainless.

Don't get much easier. The 6 CM has been an eager to please cartridge.

Easy to handload. Easy to find factory ammo and components. Shoots great.

Get the 1:7.5 barrel and enjoy.

I like my old 6mm Remington, but in today's world of longer bullets and fast twist barrels, the 6 Creed is just a better solution to the light-kicking deer rifle question.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I built a nice 243 win Bartlien 8 or 7.7 twist can’t remember Model 700 a few years back. It’s a terrific rifle and a great cartridge. I have absolutely no regrets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience the major difference between the two rounds is barrel life. The .243's short neck and shoulder angle tend to burn out throats quicker. Otherwise the same powder charges result in the same velocities--and often group size. Had a 1-7" twist .243 Barret Fieldcraft for a while, and it grouped as well as the any 6mm Creedmoor I've shot.

Have NOT found 6mmCM ammo and brass as easily or affordably available as .243s....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've definitely had 243s that were accurate, but I think along with barrel life, the biggest advantage of the 6mm creedmoor is the ease of getting rounds loaded with high BC target bullets to fit in the mag box.

The OP mentioned wanting to use the 108 eld specifically. In a 2.8" mag box, the 6mm creedmoor will certainly give more wiggle room.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The OP mentioned wanting to use the 108 eld specifically. In a 2.8" mag box, the 6mm creedmoor will certainly give more wiggle room.[/quote]

Right. Nobody loves a .243 win and 105s more than I, but in this case, he's specified a bullet, and already has a shorty action. I'd go 6 creed or 6 xc. Creed being more logical. Dasher would be kinda fun as would a BR, but that 6 creed will out step them all.
Be nice if it were an old model 70 pusher in LA and toss a no. 2 shilen at 24 inches on it with an edge and go .243 win 8 twist though. Did that twice. On in 243 ack and one in 6 ack, oh and one in 6x284. 243 was my favorite by far.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my daughter-in-law a 243 Model 7 with walnut stock. Pretty sure she won’t be shooting out the barrel. There is no reason in the world why she would need a faster twist than factory BTW.
The 6mm C is a better designed cartridge. But the 243 brass and ammo is so plentiful.
The choice it seems to me boils down to ease of components vs the need for a little more speed. The 6mm C will likely burn out the throat slower, but is that a consideration?

Last edited by Bugger; 02/15/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Throat erosion and barrel life should never keep anyone from building what ever. They make barrels every day. Your already shelling it out, grab another barrel if you like the chambering.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do tell about a L/A 243 Win with 105's. What was freebore? COAL? Be VERY careful there,because I shoot it all and you are a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,if only obviously. Hint.

Only have a coupla' 6-284's and just "happen" to shoot 6 Rem AI too. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps ladies,but your Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude is funnier than fhuqk. Seex Kreed/243 Win case capacity is like/like,as is performance. Until you shoot good bullets and the 243 Win quickly runs outta room. In a Model Seven,the 243 Win can't even begin to keep pace with a 6 Dasher. Hint.

I enjoy you Dumbfhuqks Pretending aloud,with your GoogleFu and the Day Dreaming Delusions associated,as you brazenly take STUPIDITY to places it's never been before. Again,she couldn't pick the XC out of the crowd. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
.243 all the way just like you were thinking. I am old enough to remember lots of whiz bang cartridges that got lots of publicity as the latest and greatest, but where are they now; gone. Your daughter, or anyone isn’t going to see a pinch of difference on game or at the range between a .243 and a 6mm Creedmoor. Read any shooting publication and the writers are being paid to hype the new stuff to placate the advertisers.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's funnier than fhuqk,that Droolers think being an AMAZINGLY Slooowwwwww Learner,is somehow a hidden "advantage". Hint.

Rest assured,that not everyone suffers the plights of your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". While you were reading and Drooling,I was simply shooting and them differences are simply beyond "stark". Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will always be BEST served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
.243 all the way just like you were thinking. I am old enough to remember lots of whiz bang cartridges that got lots of publicity as the latest and greatest, but where are they now; gone. Your daughter, or anyone isn’t going to see a pinch of difference on game or at the range between a .243 and a 6mm Creedmoor. Read any shooting publication and the writers are being paid to hype the new stuff to placate the advertisers.

What's the line for "sticking around" vs "going away"? Creedmoors been around for 17 years now. When are they considered to be "good to go"? No snark, just wondering when we'd agree on Creedmoor as sticking?

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stick, per 243/243ack. Card in my die box said 3.225 and I was jumping them .010.
No free bore here, jam it, back it, load it plum damn full of 4350 and shoot. 42 grains in the ack and 39.5 in the standard case. Never chrony'd it, but it smashes schit. Gun wore a 26 inch 8 twisted shilen. Also using a federal GM mag primer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why do you even fhuqking TRY,you Amazingly CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. HINT.

1000 words ala 243 Win and 105(Hornie HPBT). "No freebore" would put the start of ogive in case mouth. A .010" jump would put the ogive below case mouth. Hint.

Your Amazing STUPIDITY,is fhuqking HILARIOUS! Even watered down Hogdgon cites 40.2grs of Dog Schit IMR4350 at 2.760" COAL with a 105,in 243 Win,for a "whopping" 2870fps. Kudos on your "Secret Squirrel" 2700fps Long Action 3.225" COAL Day Dream(s). HINT.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even Dumb Fhuqks like YOU can "afford" to "contribute",if only by Pretending aloud about Fantasy Wares. Hint.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by richj
Is a 6Cm just a 243Win with less powder? What's the deal.
Pretty much.

6.5 Creedmoor necked down. Better case design for long heavies.

Unsure on case capacity but they're pretty close.

They're so close in powder capacity that the two 6mm Creedmoors I've owned got just about exactly the same velocities with the same powder charges and bullets in several .243s.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Why do you even fhuqking TRY,you Amazingly CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. HINT.

1000 words ala 243 Win and 105(Hornie HPBT). "No freebore" would put the start of ogive in case mouth. A .010" jump would put the ogive below case mouth. Hint.

Your Amazing STUPIDITY,is fhuqking HILARIOUS! Even watered down Hogdgon cites 40.2grs of Dog Schit IMR4350 at 2.760" COAL with a 105,in 243 Win,for a "whopping" 2870fps. Kudos on your "Secret Squirrel" 2700fps Long Action 3.225" COAL Day Dream(s). HINT.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even Dumb Fhuqks like YOU can "afford" to "contribute",if only by Pretending aloud about Fantasy Wares. Hint.

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The measurement of 3.225" is what my modified tool to measure from near, not at the ogive, not the tip of the bullet. I never measure from the tip of the bullet, ogive or there abouts. My mistake. I was on a cell phone at work you tool shed. Actual measurement to the tip of the bullet is 2.800" plus or minus a few thou. Glad you took the time to take some more pics, and write your little note. You ain't getting much more than 40 grains of 4350 in that case either. With the 26 inch tube I was surely topping 2950 which is adequate in my book.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,Rem 700 S/A and Model Seven COAL is 2.815" and your "Long Action Fascinations" wane. HINT.

You are THE "modified" TOOL...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep Pretendiong aloud,because you are doing "GREAT!". Hint.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hate to admit it, but stick might have a point.
And 'modified tool' was a good comeback. 243 or 6 creed, can't go wrong with either one. Both cartridges are short, fat, and easy to load up. Just how stick likes em!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've built all three of my sixes on long actions. I know they work slick and I know I got room if I need it. Got a factory cdl in 243 and the 105 is pretty tight, will work, but tight. Gun has the factory 9.25 twist or whatever and I mainly shoot 75 maxes out of it. You could save a ton of cash by just running a factory job and a better bullet, cause like someone I know who always says, bullets matter way more than headstamps lmao

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 71 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,877
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.