Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by maddog
Take it! My son and I both took one to Zimbabwe about 12 yrs. ago. He took a cow cape buff and a hippo with his, and I shot a tuskless cow ele with mine. You will have a ball.

I think that I remember reading that! Did you also post that story over on Marlin Owners forum?

Regards, Guy

GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Puddle
Why not? Just get your field practice in.

And from CZ550 “We need to practice to the point of not having to think about it,”

Sums it up.

I did a good deal of hunting years ago with a break action fully rifled 12 gauge and could get aimed shots on target as fast my brother with a pump gun. I used a buttstock holder for reloads. What Ingwe calls a bubba buddy. I like them. I used one on a bolt action .375 when hunting buffalo.

Get inventive with your practice. Water jugs at various distance. First shot off the sticks, follow up shots from offhand. Shoot from the sticks kneeling and sitting. Set goals, time yourself, if you have a buddy willing to play “race” with him, this creates a level of stress in your practice.

Besides being fun you will develop a level of familiarity with the rifle where as stated above you do not need to think.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've had several #1's make the trip. Took a 338-06 on my first trip. This last trip I took a 35 Whelen, my daughter took the 338-06 and ny son took my 338WSM. All performed flawlessly!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't see an issue with it, in fact you'll have a lot of fun with it. Personally though I would not use it on dangerous game.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Goopy
Hello Everyone,

New guy here and was wondering the collective thoughts on a Ruger No 1 in .375 H&H for a first time trip to South Africa? I shoot it accurately, am somewhat quick on the reload (still working on it though) and like the thought of a somewhat classic rifle going over there with me. I think that there are some members here that have taken their No 1's over and would like to hear their experiences, both good and bad...

What game are you hunting? The vast majority of game in RSA is PG and doesn’t require a 375 H&H. Additionally, follow up shots under stress are uncommon in that setting. Zebra, blue wildebeest, and even eland will fall to a good bullet from one of the 300 mags or 30-06 class cartridges.

However, as JOC said, “Hunting is about fun and games,” so if you enjoy a classic SS rifle, take it. Using a favorite rifle is the capstone to a hunt and in the case of a first African safari, using your own favored rifle adds immeasurably to the experience.

Practice and go for it!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Courtenay Selous used a single shot Gibbs Farquharson in 461 No.1 Gibbs to kill just about everything that can be killed in Africa. However he was considered by many to be one of the best African hunters ever considering the time in which he lived. There are several other notable things he did in life that went far beyond his abilities as a hunter.

Take your No. 1 and have a great hunt.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just make sure you practice off sticks....that's how it's done over there.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have taken a .375 No. 1 to Africa twice. The first time was to South Africa, on a "cull" hunt in the Karoo, where trophies could also be taken. Took around a dozen animals, but the "best" was my biggest gemsbok. (The scope was a 1.75-6x Leupold, since discontinued. My hunting partner also took a similar gemsbok with my rifle, after the scope on his rifle went bonkers.

The second time was a a year later, when I did an all iron-sight hunt in the Okavango Delta of Botswana. The rear sight was an NECG aperture, combined with the factory front bead. Got a good buffalo, but also took several plains-game animals, including a kudu, warthog, impala, tsessebe and red lechwe. The lechwe was the longest shot, around 225 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John - very cool. Thanks for posting those photos. I'm a big fan of that rifle.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When my son was earning his PH license in Zambia he used a Dakota No10 9.3x72 to take two buffalo.
He has used Ruger No 1 in .375 for grizzlies here in Alaska when hunting on his own.

Single shots can be operated a lot quicker than most realize and are the ultimate for those who tout “controlled round feeding”

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

G
Goopy Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you for all the replies! I love the No 1 in .375 H&H

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry Weishun (sp?) was hunting Cape Buffalo with a #1 in 416. Buffalo came close less than ten yards. He made a great broadside shot, the buffalo turned AWAY and ran. Had he turned the other way and charged, he would have been SOL with a single shot. CRF has nothing to do with it. I personally would not hunt DG with a single shot...or a Remington 700 smile

PS; I hunt with a Weatherby, I like CRFs but it's not a showstopper for me.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
". . . less than ten yards." "Had he turned the other way and charged, . . . ". From less than 10 yds shooting a .416 dealing with the recoil, could he have gotten off an aimed second shot from a bolt-action? My question is: why was he shooting a cape buff at less than 10 yds, was it charging? Not likely since it turned away and ran. If charging it would have landed in Larry's lap, dead or alive! Where was the PH? There are good enough reasons for magazine repeaters, but in my view and experience in hunting bears with my single shooters, I have a different mindset than when using my magazine repeaters, or pump slug guns.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CZ550
". . . less than ten yards." "Had he turned the other way and charged, . . . ". From less than 10 yds shooting a .416 dealing with the recoil, could he have gotten off an aimed second shot from a bolt-action? My question is: why was he shooting a cape buff at less than 10 yds, was it charging? Not likely since it turned away and ran. If charging it would have landed in Larry's lap, dead or alive! Where was the PH? There are good enough reasons for magazine repeaters, but in my view and experience in hunting bears with my single shooters, I have a different mindset than when using my magazine repeaters, or pump slug guns.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

It was in the video, maybe the yardage was off and this was in my opinion double rifle work. Bottom line is a single shot loads a LOT slower than a bolt, even a long action like a Rigby's. All I can tell you is what I remember from the video. In addition, there is another video with Boddington, alos using a single shot and he says he would never do it again. Can you hunt with one? sure, only don't tell me "it's just as good as a bolt" much less a double rifle when quick follow up shots are needed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"much less a double rifle" , with that I'd agree - though the only double I've owned was a shotgun. "To each his own" would be the consensus here. It is a particular "mindset". But all on this thread have been positive without ambivalence. I tend to concur, but I said with a particular mindset. It must be a natural action born of intimacy with the rifle, and confidence in it as well as self. A hundred rounds in practice is minimum - more is better, with much of it in realistic settings.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m not as experienced as many here, though I’ve handled rifles since I was a youngster and have hunted on four continents. I’ve done four plains game hunts in Africa but only one for buffalo. To each his own. I was happy to be hunting with a Mauser action and three in the magazine. But that’s just me.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Goopy
Hello Everyone,

New guy here and was wondering the collective thoughts on a Ruger No 1 in .375 H&H for a first time trip to South Africa? I shoot it accurately, am somewhat quick on the reload (still working on it though) and like the thought of a somewhat classic rifle going over there with me. I think that there are some members here that have taken their No 1's over and would like to hear their experiences, both good and bad...

That’s all that matters. Take it and have fun.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not a .375 but I enjoyed hunting with a Ruger #1 in 270win back when I lived in South Africa. The shorter length also makes it a pleasure to carry. I say take it and enjoy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I suppose I shouldn't talk but at one time I'd planned a hunt in Africa. Even found a good deal on a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H. Now I have others including a .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby. Unfortunately life got in the way and the hunt never came about. However, from 1975 when I found my first Ruger #1 chambered to 30-06 I'vw acquires more than a few and hunted with them almost exclusiveey unto 2009. I did a few elk hunts on a ranch that single shot rifles were not allowed.

With all that said, I thought I'd throw a small bit of advice to the OP. Take it for what it's worth. Basically, it is how I practiced rapid reloads with my .375 H&H. I took 20 new cases and loaded them with IIRC, 53.0 gr. of H4350. Bullets were the RCBS #37-250-FN.Velocity was around 2100 FPS plus or minus as I never chronographed them and recoil was about like a stiff 220gr.30-06 load. Just enough to know you shot something. I loaded only one box which I used in practice and when I was done shooting those 20 rounds did one rapid reload with a full power load. I got pretty darn quick getting that second AIMED shot off into the target.

If the grip had come to pass I would have taken the Ruger .375 H&H and a#1B in .300 Win. Mag. running 200 gr. Speer Hot Core. That bullet worked well on an elk so I figure it would do. I hope this helps.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
great read

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.