Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Its not about changing anything, except the public funding for a "ministry of propaganda". Grade 6 social studies.

Nobody has to be out of a job, just seek funding the propaganda and the myriad of attacks on traditional Canadian values from their own listeners and viewers. With the relentless attacks on gun owners, among other attacks, I have no idea how anyone can call anyone "grumpy",,, but someone thinks defunding the minisrty of propaganda can be de-funded or programming changed by writing letters? lol

CBC should be given a reasonable amount of time to fund their own network, just like any other corporation or company that has run its course.

GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It is sad how what appeared to me to be a polite rational conversation on differing views on how to achieve the same outcome needs ad hominem comments. Sticking to issues and methods helps all of us develop better ideas and thoughts, it’s the inevitable outcome of polite rational debate even if the debate becomes vigorous.

Now Steve you did not go full “Big Stick” 😃but let’s stick to the issues.

But then I must tell myself this is the internet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You have to make suggestions, not just criticize without presenting any alternatives.

As often happens on this and other boards, people like to complain but rarely put forth any suggestions or possible ways forward. Paul and others should be encouraged to engage their MPs, write them and get the media involved as I said earlier.

Let me be clear. I thought Paul’s response was rational. He was looking for ways to move the situation forward.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Paul’s (I’m assuming Supercub is Paul) position was rational, well thought out and logically defensible. He was eloquent and very clear in his position.

Some of us have different perspectives and stated them. A slow pull of the bandaid vs the quick pull of the bandaid. We stated them.

My go forward suggestion for the CBC 1/3 cut of budget in year 1, 2, 3. By year 4 $0 tax dollars in. Let the chips fall where they may.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Regardless of how it will happen, it will be politicians who will accomplish this. We have to make our position known.

We manage this through communication. Emails, letters and live discussions as I suggested earlier. What else can be legally done?

Paul noted that there are many employees who would be thrown out of work if the doors were locked overnight. That, and the fact that the CBC is a legal entity makes quick dissolution impossible.

When it happens, the shutdown will be orderly and in accordance with the law.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
There is a need for a national broadcaster, not this white elephant that the CBC has become. Like all government organizations it has departed from its original mandate and has become a top heavy parasitic entity chasing more and more public funds. It supports the parties that will provide it with the best future and becomes the mouthpiece for those parties.

As a once long time listener to CBC radio 1, I completely avoid it now since it has become a complete left wing disaster. Bring back the original old CBC.

Nick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, do you have to pay a TV Tax like they do in Britain, apparently whether you consume their crud or not, and even if you watch online content instead of over the air or cable?

Might be a regular tax for radios too, I forget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

Good news, if you’re legally blind, you only have to pay half the tax! That’s logical, after all you’re only getting have the dose…. er content.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/22/24.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
No, we do not pay a TV tax or a radio tax like in the UK. The CBC is given money by the government. Look under "financing" on this page for an explanation of where they get their money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Broadcasting_Corporation

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
No, we do not pay a TV tax or a radio tax like in the UK. The CBC is given money by the government. Look under "financing" on this page for an explanation of where they get their money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Broadcasting_Corporation
In other words, yes, we pay for the CBC and other MSM with our tax dollars.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nick1899
There is a need for a national broadcaster, not this white elephant that the CBC has become. Like all government organizations it has departed from its original mandate and has become a top heavy parasitic entity chasing more and more public funds. It supports the parties that will provide it with the best future and becomes the mouthpiece for those parties.

As a once long time listener to CBC radio 1, I completely avoid it now since it has become a complete left wing disaster. Bring back the original old CBC.

Nick
Why do we need a national (publicly funded) broadcaster? Private industry is more than capable, and the business model works for many media companies.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
It is sad how what appeared to me to be a polite rational conversation on differing views on how to achieve the same outcome needs ad hominem comments. Sticking to issues and methods helps all of us develop better ideas and thoughts, it’s the inevitable outcome of polite rational debate even if the debate becomes vigorous.

Originally Posted by GRF
Paul’s (I’m assuming Supercub is Paul) position was rational, well thought out and logically defensible. He was eloquent and very clear in his position.

Some of us have different perspectives and stated them. A slow pull of the bandaid vs the quick pull of the bandaid. We stated them.

My go forward suggestion for the CBC 1/3 cut of budget in year 1, 2, 3. By year 4 $0 tax dollars in. Let the chips fall where they may.

This. Although I might be inclined to tear off the band-aid even quicker. grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Working for the gov't or a gov't entity is not a job for life. They should never have permitted the federal public service to unionize and they should not be funding their own private ministry of propaganda.

Milei in Argentina shut down 12 of 23 ministries in his country. Yes, a lot of gov't jobs are gone - jobs that should never have existed in the first place! And they've actually got a balanced budget right out of the gate because of this.

I will not lose tears for bureaucrats. Their singular function is to increase their own authority and reach.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Nick[/quote]
Why do we need a national (publicly funded) broadcaster? Private industry is more than capable, and the business model works for many media companies.[/quote]

Do not judge the CBC as it is now but long ago when it lived within its means and was unbiased. It provided Canadians from coast to coast to coast with stories and entertainment from Canadians that would otherwise not be carried by commercial stations. Private industry can provide the television service but I am talking more about CBC radio. Which at one time was actually entertaining and informative. Rex Murphy was even a host on Cross Country Checkup. Dump CBC tv but save the radio broadcast. Get rid of the current lefties there and return to the CBC’s original mandate.

Just look at the US to see how private industry in the media has evolved. All broadcasters are now owned by two corporations, much the same as in Canada.

Nick

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by GRF

Originally Posted by GRF

This. Although I might be inclined to tear off the band-aid even quicker. grin

Jordan;
Good morning my friend, I hope the day's looking bright out your way and that you and your fine family are well on this last Friday of the 2nd month.

My first point is that I've had the honor and distinct pleasure of meeting GRF and his gracious wife in their home where they shared a meal and a wonderful visit with me. Although the interaction was brief, as a lifelong student of our fellow humans I can say with confidence his opinion on business and business activities carry considerable weight with me.

Not that he needs some little old BC redneck backing up his thoughts, but there it is.

As mentioned in my post, throughout my working life I was able to survive and thrive thereafter when my work disappeared with absolutely zero warning.

Therefore to be clear, my solution is to shut down all operations related to the CBC in as fast a manner as legally possible, sell off any and all assets and put that money towards paying down the national debt.

While I have written to my MP on other issues, his response has led me to the place of now working to have someone else elected, putting him out of his present work as well.

All that to say, once again I'm in agreement with you Jordan in that we need to start to remedy this quickly.

Using the "bandaid" analogy, we as a country are hemorrhaging money and amassing a huge debt load that our children will be saddled with. We need to stop that financial bleeding and no bandaid solution will suffice.

Not anymore.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dwayne; thank you for your kind words. If you ever get the chance to talk to Jordan face to face take it for he is “a man of the first water”

And conversely Jordan if you have the opportunity to meet with Dwayne please do so for is also “a man of the first water.”

Hope all y’all have a wonderful weekend

George

Last edited by GRF; 02/23/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne, good to hear from you, my friend. Hopefully the weekend is going well for you and yours.

Regarding hunting and shooting, I was “all-in” from a very young age, despite my parents being strangers to that world, and my grandfather being inactive for many years. GRF was a mentor to me in those formative years, taking me hunting, teaching me to butcher game, and overall just showing me a great example of how to be a good person. I will always be grateful for his generosity in taking a young boy under his wing.

Now back to the topic of the OP, I completely agree that we need to stop the bleeding as quickly as possible. Tear off the bandaid and get some stitches in. wink It wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all if we followed the example of Argentina in this.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
Dwayne; thank you for your kind words. If you ever get the chance to talk to Jordan face to face take it for he is “a man of the first water”

And conversely Jordan if you have the opportunity to meet with Dwayne please do so for is also “a man of the first water.”

Hope all y’all have a wonderful weekend

George
Thanks for the kind words, George!

I certainly have that idea earmarked in my mental organizational system, and will definitely take the opportunity should it arise.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.