Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Heym06
We need to identify the guy, and give him a week long blanket party.
I’m just glad no one got scammed, that Rick got ahead of it, nipped it in the bud.

DF

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys and gals:

A reminder:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

1] Firstly, the 24hourcampfire Classifieds run on the concept of CAVEAT EMPTOR (BUYER BEWARE), and also of individual responsibility.

24HOURCAMPFIRE DOES NOT GET INVOLVED IN DISPUTES BETWEEN THIRD PARTIES RESULTING FROM FREE CLASSIFIEDS TRANSACTIONS!

A] BUYER BEWARE - You as a buyer, and only you, are responsible to do all your due diligence before you agree to purchase anything, and MAKE SURE you do not get defrauded. When you enter into a transaction to purchase an item, you as the buyer ASSUME ALL RISKS. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

B] You are responsible for complying with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations which affect the sale and transfer of any and all items sold, purchased, or otherwise transferred from party to party, including firearms and ammunition. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE TO COMPLY WITH ALL FFL REQUIREMENTS!

2] SUGGESTIONS:

A] CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD. Recent scammers have been able to access the account of longstanding members of websites across the Internet by hacking other databases/websites for login credentials. If a member is using the same username/password on multiple websites the scammers are able to utilize those credentials to login to ANY website where they are valid. They can run an Internet search for a username, and they are then able to login using that common password. Then, they impersonate a long-time member and try to make quick sales, OFTEN RESPONDING TO WTB ADS, or posting BELOW-MARKET PRICES on desireable items ... and demanding instant digital payment.

So ...

MAKE YOUR PASSWORD DIFFICULT: Use CAPITAL and lower case letters, numbers, AND SYMBOLS.

HAVE A UNIQUE, HIGHLY SECURE PASSWORD FOR EVERY WEBSITE! This is key.

B] VENMO, ZELLE, PAYPAL (especially F&F (friends and family)), and other instant payment methods offer NO or VERY LITTLE RECOURSE for buyers. Postal Money Orders are overrated and not much better. THINK TWICE before doing business with a seller who insists on one of these types of payments. Consider writing PERSONAL CHECKS or funding through a CREDIT CARD that offers you recourse as a buyer.

BUYER BEWARE!

FOLLOW ALL LAWS!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Reckon it’s easy to become complacent and assume all is well because it largely has been.

It is until it isn’t. Thanks for those reminders.

Maybe some old farts can learn new tricks.

Maybe….

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It must have been an easy password

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
It must have been an easy password
Not any more....

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm shocked to learn 24hourcampfire members are utilizing other websites.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Think in the future will call seller and have questions that he should know based on prior sales to verify seller. To easy to grab a photo off the web and be snookered!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I'm shocked to learn 24hourcampfire members are utilizing other websites.
Ha!

It happens, even in the best of families.

SGW is where I started, later moved over here.

And the Fire is my main forum. I did go back over there to change my password per Rick’s suggestion.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/11/24.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I once had this happen on another site. I had not logged in there for a couple of weeks. When I attempted, I discovered that I was banned. Some scumbag had posted a rifle in the classifieds using my profile. I have never listed a firearm for sale on any forum. It took awhile to get that cleared up. I have Zero use for scammers and frauds !!!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It would seem a guy as bright as Rick could sort this with appropriate software. It seems others do.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
FFS, use a password manager program. I use 1Password. Every website used has a unique password that you couldn’t remember let alone hack. Easy Peasy

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems I’m learning more than I intended.

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I’m on board. Don’t think that’s gonna happen again.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
It would seem a guy as bright as Rick could sort this with appropriate software. It seems others do.
I’d think it is gotta be hard, protecting us from ourselves.

But volumes are written on what I don’t know about this electronic stuff. You guys are way ahead of me on that.

So, I’m grateful to Rick for getting on top of this quickly enough to protect us from a scam. I’d love to see that guy caught.

IMO,

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
Another tip: for a password manager program, download Bitwarden. My son - who used to work for Intel - caught me using the same password on more than one site, and insisted I get Bitwarden.

It will create unbreakable passwords - a different one for every website you use - and insert them when you choose when you open that website.

You only have to remember the ONE password needed to open Bitwarden - it's SO much easier than trying to remember multiple passwords, and you'll never have to use the same password on more than one site - a MAJOR no-no for security. And even if you get on someone else's computer, you can quickly download, open and use the passwords you've saved.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how many accounts could be signed into here by using the password, password. More than a couple I bet.

In this brave new world of AI, it's rumored that there's no such thing as a password that can't be defeated. We can only do what we can do.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by czech1022
Another tip: for a password manager program, download Bitwarden. My son - who used to work for Intel - caught me using the same password on more than one site, and insisted I get Bitwarden.

It will create unbreakable passwords - a different one for every website you use - and insert them when you choose when you open that website.

You only have to remember the ONE password needed to open Bitwarden - it's SO much easier than trying to remember multiple passwords, and you'll never have to use the same password on more than one site - a MAJOR no-no for security. And even if you get on someone else's computer, you can quickly download, open and use the passwords you've saved.

So what happens when someone hacks your Bitwarden account?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Stammster
Originally Posted by czech1022

So what happens when someone hacks your Bitwarden account?
Interesting question.

One would hope it would be bullet proof.

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Center Point is an easy bike ride for some of my "rowdy friends". Anybody got a mailing address to share by PM?

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Prevent this by never using the same password on any sites. Have a unique password for every site.

And a giant spreadsheet to keep record of all those passwords. Be sure to protect it with a password.

None of my personal info is recorded on any electronic files. It is all on paper In alpha-numeric order. I am a high school dropout, but. I paid attention while I was there.

(Grammatical error intentional)

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.