Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I am putting them on my table at an upcoming gun show in March, shipping so expensive anymore.
Some of them that are in not so good shape, will cut out some adds for framing , etc .
Thanks!

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
What qualifies as Media Mail with USPS?

Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below: Books (at least 8 pages). Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs. Play scripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.

I always thought a magazine was a 'periodical'...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe a gray area. Sounds like advertising is the hang up. Crazy rule that forces first class ship.

From USPS
"Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings."

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
picky aren't they? But then that's what to expect from the government.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't realize that "cannot contain advertising" would mean advertising in the magazine. I always thought it meant advertising added by the seller.

That's just... stupid.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I didn't realize that "cannot contain advertising" would mean advertising in the magazine. I always thought it meant advertising added by the seller.

That's just... stupid.

I'm sure it means just advertising material without associated content. Again, a magazine is a periodical and that is allowed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've held my tongue long enough--challenge: I have

Every American Rifleman since 1928
Every Gun Digest
Every Gun Report
Every Double Gun Journal
About four hundred books on firearms and hunting

Is there a bigger packrat in our group?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ive gifted some to friends, month and year they were born.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Media mail rate for 1 magazine would be $4.13. Ebay gouges for about a 16% fee on every penny collected but that's over the top. Lots of sellers try to get their fees back by jacking the shipping. Mail rates go up every January. Not 3 times a year.
I thought about selling mine on Ebay with media mail, until I checked the regs for media mail. Being a very rule oriented person I couldn't do it. Unless the Post Office changed the rules recently, it was against the law, or "PO" Rules to ship anything with adds for items for sale, including 100 year old magazines. The only exception was a publisher could have ads for books by the same author. Ask Randy, he might know the rules. most people just say fork the rules, nobody checks. I just did a search.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, I should of read everything first. Others have brought it up?
Originally Posted by bigolddave
I've held my tongue long enough--challenge: I have

Every American Rifleman since 1928
Every Gun Digest
Every Gun Report
Every Double Gun Journal
About four hundred books on firearms and hunting

Is there a bigger packrat in our group?
Dave, you don't collect chainsaws too do you? We have a guy on the Arborist site that goes by "Bigolddave". If that were you, with his saw collection, I'd say you are the biggest Pack Rat. I only have about 70 chainsaws.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Joe, I am ashamed to say I have only one chainsaw, and it is a little electric one. My wife, however, has about three thousand cook books, down from about forty-five hundred.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Media mail rate for 1 magazine would be $4.13. Ebay gouges for about a 16% fee on every penny collected but that's over the top. Lots of sellers try to get their fees back by jacking the shipping. Mail rates go up every January. Not 3 times a year.
I thought about selling mine on Ebay with media mail, until I checked the regs for media mail. Being a very rule oriented person I couldn't do it. Unless the Post Office changed the rules recently, it was against the law, or "PO" Rules to ship anything with adds for items for sale, including 100 year old magazines. The only exception was a publisher could have ads for books by the same author. Ask Randy, he might know the rules. most people just say fork the rules, nobody checks. I just did a search.

Fork the rules. If it fits it ships. They don't have enough people to get the mail delivered and they certainly don't have enough to tear apart media mail to make sure it doesn't have advertising in it. Nobody at the post office cares what's in your package.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don’t buy anymore!

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy

Fork the rules. If it fits it ships. They don't have enough people to get the mail delivered and they certainly don't have enough to tear apart media mail to make sure it doesn't have advertising in it. Nobody at the post office cares what's in your package.
I know what you mean, and it’s a pretty stupid rule especially on old stuff. Even BATF draws a line at 50 years. It’s hard to compete with all the vendors that use it. But, when I was a kid, my Dad asked me, “If you steal a piece of candy and don’t get caught, does that mean you didn’t steal it?”

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
FWIW I've media mailed and received bundles of Rifleman's and other rags over the years without getting busted by the Postal Inspectors and with zero remorse to boot. Some rules were made to be broken.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But, when I was a kid, my Dad asked me, “If you steal a piece of candy and don’t get caught, does that mean you didn’t steal it?”

I'd hardly put stealing in the same category as breaking a post office mailing rule. That's a stretch...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don’t worry, if Uncle Joe knew how much firewood I sell, he’d clear out a cell just for me.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1234, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,473,018
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.