Page 16 of 31 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 30 31
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by JoeBob
JimBob are you finished your baseless bullschit?

Meh…if you don’t get it, you never will.
Don’t quit now JimBob

Yeah, I’m done with your retardation tonight.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How a Libertarian Should View the Civil War----excellent article by a well-credentialed Libertarian scholar.

https://reasonpapers.com/pdf/28/rp_28_6.pdf

Below is an excerpt near the end of the article:

Contrary, then, to the oft-repeated claim that the Civil War was not
about slavery, the question of slavery answers the essential question which
determines whether secession in 1861 was an act of revolution, on the one
hand, or a criminal conspiracy, on the other hand. The secession of 1861 was
not a legitimate revolution, because its “cornerstone” rested on “the great truth
that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to
the superior race—is his natural and normal condition.”58 As Lincoln had said
before the war,

"[w]e all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all
mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each
man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor;
while with others the same word may mean for some men to do as
they please with other men, and the product of other men’s labor.
Here are two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by
the same name—liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by
the respective parties, called by two different and incompatible
names—liberty and tyranny. The shepherd drives the wolf from the
sheep’s throat, for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as a liberator,
while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of
liberty, especially as the sheep was a black one. Plainly the sheep
and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of the word liberty."59

The Confederacy, built upon the wolf’s definition of liberty, was an
illegitimate government by the libertarian standards of the Declaration of
Independence. When the Confederacy initiated force by firing on Fort
Sumter, therefore, it became the responsibility of the President to “take Care
that the Laws [including the supreme law of the land] be faithfully
executed,”60 by putting down the rebellion by force if necessary.

Last edited by Tarquin; 02/13/24.

Tarquin
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
JimBob are you finished your baseless bullschit?

Meh…if you don’t get it, you never will.
Don’t quit now JimBob

Yeah, I’m done with your retardation tonight.
K

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The cotton gin Eli Whitney

Don’t forget James Watt, he perfected the steam engine which then enabled steam-driven looms. Turns out long-staple cotton fiber worked really well in those looms.

Before that, even your socks were expensive, you had to pay all that labor which went into making them. Cheap machine-made cotton cloth, a clothing miracle, and England had an empire to sell it to the world.

They bought all their raw cotton fiber from the American South. Suddenly the fastest way to a million dollars was your own cotton plantation. Slave-grown cotton. 80% of the Southern economy.The South got stuck in a time warp that would ultimately destroy it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JamesJr
JoeBob, sometimes you make no sense whatsoever.
JimBob ur full a schit
He makes perfect sense, if you understand his analogy.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
JimBob you ever studied John Brown?

John Brown was an interesting man. Traveled to Kansas to take part in the mini civil war they were having there, which was as everybody knows was a fight over tariffs. Then showed up latter at Harpers Ferry trying to start a revolt in favor of tariffs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't read everything, probably got stoopid for one reason or another.

Say what you want about Lincoln. If not for his foresight there would be no "United States" as we know it today.

His goal with the civil war was to preserve the union. And the rebels struck the first blow.

He also knew he had to unite the country east to west, he pushed hard for the transcontinental railroad and made that happen.

If it wasn't for him it would be divided, just like Europe.

Image a country from sea to sea, now we just need to take over Canada, expect Quebec. They can keep that.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Say what you want about Lincoln. If not for his foresight there would be no "United States" as we know it today.

Are you speaking about the complete or nearly complete loss of "States Rights"? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Y'all are ignoring that Slavery was Legal at the time. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by JamesJr
JoeBob, sometimes you make no sense whatsoever.
JimBob ur full a schit
He makes perfect sense, if you understand his analogy.
I don’t

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Y'all are ignoring that Slavery was Legal at the time. miles

That is the one thing that is totally forgotten by those who love and defend Lincoln. Moral implications aside, it was a legal institution. If a president today were to declare gun ownership as illegal, demand that they all be turned in, and go to war with the citizens that refused to comply with his demands and instead set up their own government..............the same people who defend Lincoln for what he did, would be ready to do to that president what Wilkes did to Lincoln.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Trying to bait me into a trap?😀
Where did I say anything like that?
You have posted some pretty good questions, and I believe I have answered the best I can.
At this point, I’m thinking you’re a troll.
Pose me a simple question and I’ll answer you. If you’re fishing for fools, phuq off.
Reon

Well, I mean why else would anybody be against what President Biden is attempting to accomplish at the border. I mean you can claim constitutional issues all day, but everyone knows the only reason anyone actually opposes what is going on down there is white supremacy. States rights? States rights for what, to continue being racist white supremacists?

When Joe Biden takes action against those racist insurrectionists, he’ll be as justified as Lincoln was.
Okay, I’ll put it this way.
Do you actually support Joe? My views on this are clearly stated. Yours are not.
Like I said, you have posed some pretty good questions, and I have done my best to answer them.
But as I see it now, you’re getting into troll territory.
Are you working for the DNC? Sure sounds like it!
Someone looking for answers, I’ll surely do my best to help.
If you’re looking for answers, I’m your man.
The ball is in your court
Reon

I think you are really dense if you don’t see the point I’m making. I’m not an artist. I will not draw you a picture.
Well, I guess I’m really dense. I still can’t see where you have posed an honest question to me.
I think you’ve a freakin troll!
If you ask me a question, I’ll do my best to answer. My post have shown this,
On what grounds could you possibly accuse me of being a white supremacists?
Do you actually support pedo Joe as president?
I think my position is crystal clearly. Now it’s your turn. Stage your ground.
Reon

On what grounds? What grounds indeed? History sir, not I judges you. Sir, on the same grounds that history has judged Confederates of having no legitimate constitutional issues but merely a concern for conserving and extending slavery which, as we adjudge today was the greatest evil to ever befall man in history from the foundations of the world to the present. Sir, now like then, despite your pious intonations of constitutional issues and concerns, we know the blackness of your heart as we know the blackness of theirs, 160 years ago.

And now like then, the great cities of the north stand as beacons to the world of all that is good and just. They offer sanctuary to the oppressed and succor to the ever needy of the world. Now like then, they stand in righteous condemnation of your mere economic concerns and your racist views regarding those you would oppress.

Joe Biden, like Lincoln is a towering figure sent by God Almighty to render judgment against the evil oppressors in those awful southern states. As Lincoln gave his life in Christlike grace to free the millions, Joe Biden is soldiering on and wrecking his health so that we may see America finally live up to the ideas of her founding and provide truth to those words “All men are created equal”. He will truly root out the vintage where the Grapes of Wrath are stored and deliver us into a new age where America belongs to the world.

If the above doesn’t work, I could use a crayon.
No need for crayons! You have told us where you stand. And for anyone who loves America, you ain’t got a leg to stand on.
Goodnight, sir.
Need I suggest what you do with those crayons?
Reon

Have you not, can you not figure out I’m making fun of the slavery only crowd…the Lincoln worshippers…those that apply today’s standards to people of a different age and time? How I described your motivations unfairly based upon some belief I may have that may or may not be accurate based upon my interpretation of words someone else said? And then when you didn’t take the hint and admitted to it, I used your words to tarnish everyone who may take the same position as you? You didn’t get any of that?

I’m sorry. I just can’t help you. Satire is not funny nor particularly effective if one must draw a picture in crayon.
So I’m to understand that by calling me names like white supremacist, you’re actually bating the “my ancestors fought for the South” crowd?
That seems pretty freaking complicated!
If you read my participation in most of these Civil War threads, I have often commented on how I think it wrong to identify with a part instead of the whole. I have stated different times that as proud as I am of my Pennsylvania heritage, I’m even more proud of my American heritage!
So you’re bating me into an argument I can’t win just to make a point.
Take them crayons and stuff them where the sun won’t find them. We’re on the same side, but I am not amused.🤬
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnn

His goal with the civil war was to preserve the union. And the rebels struck the first blow.

He also knew he had to unite the country east to west, he pushed hard for the transcontinental railroad and made that happen.

Image a country from sea to sea, now we just need to take over Canada, expect Quebec. They can keep that.
It might have been better for the whole world had the United States broken up into 4 or 5 different countries instead of how it turned out. Maybe we wouldn't have taken over policing the world and rescuing the British and the French and Eastern Europe and China which with hindsight we can see didn't work out so well for them and completely has broken the USA.

Oh well, as my brother always says "that ship has sailed".

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sir, I am not baiting you with an argument you can’t win, I am merely telling you how you will be judged by the likes of RHOD and Tarquin in the future.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The cotton gin Eli Whitney

Don’t forget James Watt, he perfected the steam engine which then enabled steam-driven looms. Turns out long-staple cotton fiber worked really well in those looms.

Before that, even your socks were expensive, you had to pay all that labor which went into making them. Cheap machine-made cotton cloth, a clothing miracle, and England had an empire to sell it to the world.

They bought all their raw cotton fiber from the American South. Suddenly the fastest way to a million dollars was your own cotton plantation. Slave-grown cotton. 80% of the Southern economy.The South got stuck in a time warp that would ultimately destroy it.
True

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by johnn

It might have been better for the whole world had the United States broken up into 4 or 5 different countries instead of how it turned out. Maybe we wouldn't have taken over policing the world and rescuing the British and the French and Eastern Europe and China which with hindsight we can see didn't work out so well for them and completely has broken the USA.

Oh well, as my brother always says "that ship has sailed".

The most disastrous event in the last 125 years was the defeat of Germany in WW I. That destroyed Western Civilization, led directly to Hitler and the Bolsheviks in Russia. And that was caused solely because of American intervention.

So, yeah if things had turned out differently in the Civil War there likely would have been no American intervention in WW I. So no German defeat, no communist in Russia, and no Hitler. Without those events, probably no Chinese communists either. It’s difficult to see how the world might have turned out, but very difficult to see how things could be worse than they are.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/14/24.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
“Reon is from Pennsylvania and he’s a friend of mine”
Early bird
Thanks. I can understand his point about “my ancestors did this” crowd, but I cannot fathom the logic of baiting me into a confrontation!
Mike, as usual you’re looking at a much bigger picture than most of us do.
I have commented several times about the cotton gin saving African slavery from being strangled by the weight of itself. But I never considered how steam powered looms in England and France had increased the worth of those same slaves!
That said the embargo of cotton in 1961, was pizz poor timing because of the existing glut of cotton. Also the fire eaters never considered that India was already producing cotton as well.
Actually the feudal system used there was almost as brutal as the worst slave plantations. Like I said, as property, slaves were actually better off than supposedly free workers in other parts of the world and the US!
This opens up another intrinsic point that is often overlooked. Western European countries like England, France, and Germany have a history of considering themselves “better” than the Pollocks, Hunkies, Dagos and Micks! There were usually British and German formens enforcing the control of the miners and factory workers!
For the most part, other than the treatment of freed blacks, we Americans avoided discrimination against other ethnic groups due to where they’re from.
Maybe that’s just me talking though. I have experienced several instances where I’m judged of something purely because of the fact I’m from Pennsylvania.
Fetterman, trade unions and other things are thrown in my face, only because I live in Pennsylvania!
You know what? Never mind! Discrimination is part of every day life, even here on the ‘Campfire!🤬
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sir, I am not baiting you with an argument you can’t win, I am merely telling you how you will be judged by the likes of RHOD and Tarquin in the future.
Those guys didn’t say boo to me that I’m aware of. A few comments about “another Civil War thread” don’t bother me. I saw an interesting article about JW Booth, passed it on to other interested people, and as often happens it takes on a life of its own!😀 That’s just the ‘campfire being the ‘Campfire!
Political threads have no end, but god forbid someone starts a discussion about John Wayne or the war of southern stupidity!😀
Some guys find it impossible to ignore threads that don’t interest them. I guess they figure a high post count makes them more intelligent or something!😀
Reon

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Pop quiz time🎉what caliber wuz Booths derringer ?

I'm thinking .41, but I could be mistaken on that.

Page 16 of 31 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,414
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.