Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
At Bush Hog we used to make all our own gear boxes. Then the company cheapened them up to compete with others and started buying Italian gear boxes. Our old gear boxes were tough as hell, the Italian are a light duty set up. We used to have a obstacle course set up behind the factory and invited all other brands to come and show the public their mower. After seeing the course most all packed up and went home. Our old mowers were built like a tank, if you could run over it, it would chop it up. Most farmers knew nothing about adjusting slip clutches or taking care of their equipment.

I can believe that part about cheapening up. I think they all do it.

My 12' batwing cutter is a Frankenstein of outsourced parts. About the only thing the "manufacturer" actually makes is the body... deck and wings. All gear boxes, hydraulic cylinders, and stump jumpers come from elsewhere.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You do nice work Hanco...

I just slapped a coat of paint on mine...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I need to paint mine, it’s just like son in laws, rebuilt it 20 years ago

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hanco
This is one of my son in laws bush hog. The 3 point hookup was bent, sides bent in. Deck in front of gear box was rusted out also

Looks good and stout! Extra weight and thickness never hurts.

You going to paint it?

He probably needs to blow the grass off with a leaf blower when done with it. A drilled drain hole or two wouldn't hurt either so it won't hold water on the deck.
I've had to redeck and strengthen 2 over the years. Drain holes are a must. Blowing off is a must if kept out in the weather.

Really need to descale the new deck and repaint again. Its been almost 7 years now

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
I've had to redeck and strengthen 2 over the years. Drain holes are a must. Blowing off is a must if kept out in the weather.

Really need to descale the new deck and repaint again. Its been almost 7 years now

Those older Bush Hog designs had the bracing on top of the deck, and they would really hold the grass and water... frown

The newer smooth top decks are better, but I still use a leaf blower at the end of each day to get all the dirt and grass off. If I happen to skip a day, it never fails to rain that night and cake it all on there... laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
As much as a big one costs, it’s crazy not to take care of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
As much as a big one costs, it’s crazy not to take care of it.

That's no schidt!

When I bought the one in the photo, about 10 years ago, it was $15k new.

They have about doubled in price for a new heavy duty one now. eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice looking welding project.

Looks like you need a HD Grapple and HD root rake. The rake tongs on mine, made in Perry, FL, are 1" thick. A tree farm is one tough place to run equipment, only can use smaller high power tractors and they need a lot of power, that combination is tough on the equipment.
I run an old Bush Hog bush hog and House equipment. I have a 50 hp Kubota, full manual tranny. That bush hog has a few stories about how stout it is built.

Light weight in tree farming just gets trashed real quick. So it does not take long to figure out that heavy duty is cheaper in the long run.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rapier

Looks like you need a HD Grapple and HD root rake. The rake tongs on mine, made in Perry, FL, are 1" thick. A tree farm is one tough place to run equipment, only can use smaller high power tractors and they need a lot of power, that combination is tough on the equipment.
I run an old Bush Hog bush hog and House equipment. I have a 50 hp Kubota, full manual tranny. That bush hog has a few stories about how stout it is built.

Light weight in tree farming just gets trashed real quick. So it does not take long to figure out that heavy duty is cheaper in the long run.

I manage a 60,000 tree olive orchard when weather permits... wink

Quit using any sort of tractor a couple years ago, and use my HD tracked skid steer to mow, cull and run the grapple and 50" tree spade.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
What is bent on the bucket?
The top of the bucket was bent up, pulled it down, welded strip to strengthen it

Operator abuse and inattention, but you are not alone, try to find a used one in good shape.. Great looking repairs ,,Maybe keep SIL off of the unit.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dfarmann
Do you have more daughters?

Nice work.

They are old ladies now

hey nothing wrong with older mature ladies ,I am older and still kicking , smile

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Your wife runs that does she???????????

norm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Rapier

I manage a 60,000 tree olive orchard when weather permits... wink

Quit using any sort of tractor a couple years ago, and use my HD tracked skid steer to mow, cull and run the grapple and 50" tree spade.

Good looking units ,whats the HP in the New Holland.

Norm

Last edited by norm99; 02/14/24.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Looks like you’ve been mowing raspberry yogurt!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by norm99
Good looking units ,whats the HP in the New Holland.

Norm

Thanks Norm!

It's 90hp. It'll lift more than I want to lift. Running that cutter when mowing tall stuff between the trees, it doesn't spare the diesel... eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.