Print Thread
Hop To
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Do you need a small base die? Do you need a taper crimp or will a Lee Factory crimp die work? Any good sources for brass? Thanks ahead , Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a set of Hornady Grendel dies. and I also have a set of Redding competition Grendel dies. neither of which are small Bass and I've ran a lot of brass too both and three different ARs and one bolt gun and never had an issue. I guess I should also add I've never crimped.

Last edited by ldholton; 01/28/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the regular RCBS dies and they’ve served me well. I have small base dies for the 6 ARC, but don’t need them. I only got them as it’s what was in stock when I got ready to reload for the 6 ARC. I’ve also never crimped for any of my rifles.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve never needed small base for any AR platform. We did use them for accuracy stuff in M1As years ago. I"ve no clue why they were better.

I think all that was available when we grabbed a cheap 6.5 ppc was Lee and they have worked well enough.

Taper crimp is for straight wall cases. Thats the use of it. Use whatever you want crimp wise. On crimps and ARs I also have yet to ever crimp an AR round. Likely not quite 250,000 rounds through ARs but you get the idea. Full case of powder basically. Correct neck tension. Life is just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use regular RCBS dies for the Grendel and the FCD works well when set right.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got a Redding Body Die, a Lee two die set with the crimp die , and a Collet die separately.

Got like $60 into it...but it will be outlasting me at the Reload Bench.

and I shoot a lot of Grendel.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Forster full length sizing die and a Redding seating die. I don’t crimp.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use the full Lee set. Works fine. I got my brass from Graf & sons, PPU from the former Yugoslavia. It also works fine at a decent price.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
6.5 Grendel Brass from 6.5 Outfitters, as well as Midway. All of mine is Starline so far.
My Dies are the Standard 2 Die RCBS Set, Standard Base.

Bob R

S
S
You’ve got a lot of great choices out there. Hornady and Redding are my preferred but you can choose from your favorite manufacturer. I personally prefer on my precision processing of brass to separately size body and neck. You don’t have to do this, however.

I bought the Lee FCD and haven’t ever used it. Neck tension is enough. Johnny’s Reloading bench on YT did a bunch of tests and concluded it didn’t add any particular value to the loading process.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Spongebob
You’ve got a lot of great choices out there. Hornady and Redding are my preferred but you can choose from your favorite manufacturer. I personally prefer on my precision processing of brass to separately size body and neck. You don’t have to do this, however.

I bought the Lee FCD and haven’t ever used it. Neck tension is enough. Johnny’s Reloading bench on YT did a bunch of tests and concluded it didn’t add any particular value to the loading process.
LOL. I could have saved Johnny the time many years ago already

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the Lee full set and the Hornady set and I end up using the Hornady set with the Lee crimper... I crimp them all as I do anything in an autoloader or heavy kicker... I only have one 6.5 Grendel in a AR and love it...

For brass I guess I lucked out and my local academy had it in stock but I ended up getting all they had

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,228
Posts18,485,631
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.