Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
They got EBT and food stamps?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just watched that, it will gain attention for everyday folks trying to shop for their families here. I also watched one where he took a trip in a train station. It was clean with no gang graffiti.

Please don't feed the trolls!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The riding carts are used by more than the fat people. I use them in big stores such a Wal=Mart so that I can do my own shopping,

I have has 2 back surgery's, & both hips replaced. I like most Americans could loose some pounds but at my age, almost 90 most programs don`t work for me.

\

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I just watched that, it will gain attention for everyday folks trying to shop for their families here. I also watched one where he took a trip in a train station. It was clean with no gang graffiti.
There was a thread a month or so ago about the Moscow subway.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image from e74sq7k37a8.exactdn.com]

This was topic was probably chosen because of the steep rise in grocery prices in the USA.

my experience says that number is way too low

To buy $100 from 2014 would probably be closer to $200 by my count now

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In a way, that's a bit of a stunt. True,their groceries cost less.

We saw the same thing when we lived near the border with Mexico. Folks would go shopping there. Package of a dozen corn tortillas in the States = $1. A Kilo of corn tortillas in TJ or Tecate = $0.50

Can of Herdez salsa here = $0.75 down there it was $0.35

So many different factors into the costs, it would take someone way more statistically inclined or mathematically proficient (mathman, wanna give it a try?) to figure it out.

What are the fuel costs etc in the other country for transport of good? Packaging costs? Someone already mentioned labor. Cost of environmental regs?

I know one thing.....................................for sure.................................................even if they'd have me..........................I ain't movin' to Russia (or Mexico) for cheaper grub.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
A country with low wages and a weak currency when compared to the US dollar also has a lower cost of groceries. This only comes as a surprise to the kind of people that watch Tucker Carlson.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ipopum
The riding carts are used by more than the fat people. I use them in big stores such a Wal=Mart so that I can do my own shopping,

I have has 2 back surgery's, & both hips replaced. I like most Americans could loose some pounds but at my age, almost 90 most programs don`t work for me.

\
I was joking, that's why I added the LOL. Of course there are legitimate cases for those carts.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image from e74sq7k37a8.exactdn.com]

This was topic was probably chosen because of the steep rise in grocery prices in the USA.

my experience says that number is way too low

To buy $100 from 2014 would probably be closer to $200 by my count now
I had the same reaction to that graph. Way off in terms of real prices at the grocery store. Just since 2020, I'm spending at least 50% more at the grocery store each week.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RHOD
A country with low wages and a weak currency when compared to the US dollar also has a lower cost of groceries. This only comes as a surprise to the kind of people that watch Tucker Carlson.

Fascinating are there millions of homeless in Moscow? Are large retail chain stores closing due to rampant theft? Do Russians declare bankruptcy due to thousands of dollars of medical bills?

Did you notice all of the grossly obese children in the store like in the US or little boys wearing dresses?? And fat pink and green haired ladies shopping in pajamas and bedroom slippers??

Lol

Last edited by ribka; 02/15/24.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So they were saying they anticipated the cost to be $400 but it was about $100. He wasn't very clear about it.

In a world with global trade commodity prices should be about the same everywhere. Some countries have lower prices due to lower production and distribution costs due to lower wages and energy prices.

I was surprised to find in Mexico and Costa Rica the processed foods us Americans often buy seemed to cost about the same or even more than here. I asked a guy how costa Ricans afford to eat and he said they don't eat what we. They mainly ate beans and rice and local produce.

That's one thing I liked better about living overseas was that the produce and unprocessed stuff was the cheap stuff so it was easier to eat healthy. In South Africa we used to get oranges cheap enough that it cost us less to squeeze our own OJ than to buy OJ.

The middle men in the US make produce more expensive than processed stuff. When I lived in Israel food was more expensive there than it was here. It felt like all the shop owners where trying to rip you off but a lot of stuff was imported.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

We saw the same thing when we lived near the border with Mexico. Folks would go shopping there. Package of a dozen corn tortillas in the States = $1. A Kilo of corn tortillas in TJ or Tecate = $0.50

So many different factors into the costs, it would take someone way more statistically inclined or mathematically proficient (mathman, wanna give it a try?) to figure it out.

What are the fuel costs etc in the other country for transport of good? Packaging costs? Someone already mentioned labor. Cost of environmental regs?

I know one thing.....................................for sure.................................................even if they'd have me..........................I ain't movin' to Russia (or Mexico) for cheaper grub.

The cost of an item will vary hugely depending on the way it has to be produced. That’s why loaf of bread costs about as much as a bushel of grain.

Someone is watching the farmer. Makes sure he has the right EPA mandated crap on his tractors and combine. Makes sure he uses USLD. Makes sure he pays FICA on his help. Someone is checking what chemicals he uses, and how, and keeps track of his applicator’s license. Someone is watching the elevator, and makes sure there’s not excessive dust exposure to the employees, makes sure there’s no excessive amounts of aflatoxin or mouse turds in the wheat. The trucker that hauls it to the mill is checked so he doesn’t drive too much, has insurance, inspects his truck daily, and pays his fuel taxes.

Just go on down the line to the mill, the bakery, the plastic bag supplier, the delivery driver, the grocery store: at every little step the costs get piled on.

We can argue if we need all of it, but it’s probably a good thing someone keeps an eye on the aflatoxin and stuff.

Of course, you can skip all that, and just buy wheat from a farmer, grind it, get a nice sourdough starter and bake your own bread….. but that would cut into our internet time…….

Priorities.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Valsdad

The cost of an item will vary hugely depending on the way it has to be produced. That’s why loaf of bread costs about as much as a bushel of grain.

Someone is watching the farmer. Makes sure he has the right EPA mandated crap on his tractors and combine. Makes sure he uses USLD. Makes sure he pays FICA on his help. Someone is checking what chemicals he uses, and how, and keeps track of his applicator’s license. Someone is watching the elevator, and makes sure there’s not excessive dust exposure to the employees, makes sure there’s no excessive amounts of aflatoxin or mouse turds in the wheat. The trucker that hauls it to the mill is checked so he doesn’t drive too much, has insurance, inspects his truck daily, and pays his fuel taxes.

Just go on down the line to the mill, the bakery, the plastic bag supplier, the delivery driver, the grocery store: at every little step the costs get piled on.

We can argue if we need all of it, but it’s probably a good thing someone keeps an eye on the aflatoxin and stuff.

Of course, you can skip all that, and just buy wheat from a farmer, grind it, get a nice sourdough starter and bake your own bread….. but that would cut into our internet time…….

Priorities.

Good job explaining all that. Exactly what I was getting at. A lot of those added costs are kinda nice for the little people and the employees (e g the dust deal at the elevator and the lack of aflatoxin in my wheat) .

We don't grind our own wheat, but we do use the sourdough starters I have and bake our own bread. And buy some of the flour in bulk. Wish we had more wheat growers around here, I might just get a grinder and buy a couple of bushels.

Then again, we live here and not in La La Land or Suckthemento

PS, if we were closer, you might have another customer for some barrimundi.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can make a pack of Bryan bologna and a loaf of lightnin bread last a week. Make my own sweet tea.

You dont have suck down a 28oz elvis elvis elvis T-bone every night.
Get a goddamm colonic

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by flintlocke
If .gov would get out of agriculture completely, I'd bet after some initial pain, the free market would prevail and prices would stabilize below current levels.

If .gov let ag at the complete mercy of the free market, there would be one or two giant landlords like ADM and everybody else would be minimum wage ag workers.

There is no competing against such economies of scale and market power.
Plum, You are absolutely correct, but when the govt is so corrupt it refuses to enforce the laws on the books, regarding monopolies, price fixing, quality inspections, consumer gouging, collusion...how can the free market operate? One thing we can all agree on, govt will fix NOTHING. Not without a complete societal breakdown.
I hate to side with the leftists on anything...but we are buying local or regional whenever possible (and it's costing more unfortunately).

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by RHOD

Fascinating are there millions of homeless in Moscow? Are large retail chain stores closing due to rampant theft? Do Russians declare bankruptcy due to thousands of dollars of medical bills?

Did you notice all of the grossly obese children in the store like in the US or little boys wearing dresses?? And fat pink and green haired ladies shopping in pajamas and bedroom slippers??

Lol

I'm not sure why you quoted me since your comments have nothing to do with what I said.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
inflation in American Markets. What?
Country that is supposedly getting crushed in war has cheap groceries...

https://twitter.com/BGatesIsaPyscho/status/1758083759079923816
If my calcs are right, average Russian monthly salary is about 73,000 Rubles or $791 USD
Makes the $100 grocery bill not such a bargain.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What this highlights to me is two cultures heading in opposite directions. Take a walking tour of Moscow vs a walking tour of Kensington Ave. Philadelphia. Where would you rather raise a family?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
inflation in American Markets. What?
Country that is supposedly getting crushed in war has cheap groceries...

https://twitter.com/BGatesIsaPyscho/status/1758083759079923816
If my calcs are right, average Russian monthly salary is about 73,000 Rubles or $791 USD
Makes the $100 grocery bill not such a bargain.

It’s really embarrassing how dumb some American are

The average monthly salary in Moscow where Tucker was shopping is about $4000 a month. Healthcare is free. 13 per cent income tax

Americans pay almost 40 per cent of income in taxes. Fed tax state tax sales tax real estate tax

Last edited by ribka; 02/15/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by plumbum
If .gov would get out of agriculture completely, I'd bet after some initial pain, the free market would prevail and prices would stabilize below current levels.

If .gov let ag at the complete mercy of the free market, there would be one or two giant landlords like ADM and everybody else would be minimum wage ag workers.

There is no competing against such economies of scale and market power.
Plum, You are absolutely correct, but when the govt is so corrupt it refuses to enforce the laws on the books, regarding monopolies, price fixing, quality inspections, consumer gouging, collusion...how can the free market operate? One thing we can all agree on, govt will fix NOTHING. Not without a complete societal breakdown.
I hate to side with the leftists on anything...but we are buying local or regional whenever possible (and it's costing more unfortunately).
Reminds me, I need to call my insurance folks about our coverage. His daughter works there and she and husband are raising and selling butchered pigs.

I need to get a half pig or quarter. Might be more expensive than the pork loins down at the Grocery Outlet, but I know where they come from and it's likely not ConAgra.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.