Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys just staying inside, or are you getting out and doing some shooting. Even though we are still getting snow here in northern Nevada, the furry little critters are wanting to get out and sun themselves.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
While doing some testing with a new rifle the other day, this one came out to say hi.

Just put an aluminum trigger housing in my newer to me 10/22 clone (TI Elite 22S), and put the Volquartsen upgrades in that trigger, so now I need to go and test it. Seems like a nice day, after we got a little snow yesterday. Hopefully there aren't guys getting their 4x4's stuck at the range again!!!!

Get out there and shoot, if you can!!!!! Steer those bullets into the x-ring if you can..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Cool pictures BSA. (pun intended)
I'm still shooting off and on when time permits.
Trying several different scopes on the CZ seeing what I like best.
Right now its a Tract 4-12X40 AO and I'm liking it. Tract has some
fantastic glass.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
fantastic glass.

Nice. Those Tract scopes have some amazing glass. I'll bet you are liking that 4-12x40. I thought you liked using something like a 6x Burris on some of your 22's though? The higher power scopes suit my needs better, most of the time. However, if hunting jackrabbits I'll usually use a good 3-9x40. A 6x would probably work great as well. Paper targets or golf balls, and I like 14x or higher magnification. Even at 50 yards. Fun stuff though. Keep us posted on how you are liking that CZ.

Hopefully it doesn't start raining over here!! I'll be hitting the range here in a bit. Even though I question why I am replacing the trigger housing on this 10/22 clone. The plastic one is excellent. I just don't like plastic trigger housings.

This one may go up for sale, but I'm still hesitant about it because it's like a matchgrade trigger. No creep, breaks clean at 2.5 pounds. I may just keep it around for a spare?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Planning on shooting Saturday . Loaded 357 magnum and 44 mag stuff today

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been futzing around with this ‘n that, an optics Chinese Fire Drill. This morning I replaced the Elite 4500 1-4 on my .22 Mag AR with the Credo HX 1-6 I liberated when I swapped my Howa Mini SS 6.5 into the aftermarket stock and floorplate I had on a blued one. Plan on dialing it in tomorrow and burning up some of the ammo I acquired for it, plus use the Garmin to check speeds. The 1-4 will probably end up on my inline where the long ER may help save my lovely complexion from a beating…..

The new Mini worked out very well, dropped about 11.5oz with a lighter scope, shorter barrel, and different mounts. I think both these rigs are complete, except possibly I may skim bed the chamber swell on the Mini after more testing.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by K22
fantastic glass.

Nice. Those Tract scopes have some amazing glass. I'll bet you are liking that 4-12x40. I thought you liked using something like a 6x Burris on some of your 22's though? The higher power scopes suit my needs better, most of the time. However, if hunting jackrabbits I'll usually use a good 3-9x40. A 6x would probably work great as well. Paper targets or golf balls, and I like 14x or higher magnification. Even at 50 yards. Fun stuff though. Keep us posted on how you are liking that CZ.

Hopefully it doesn't start raining over here!! I'll be hitting the range here in a bit. Even though I question why I am replacing the trigger housing on this 10/22 clone. The plastic one is excellent. I just don't like plastic trigger housings.

This one may go up for sale, but I'm still hesitant about it because it's like a matchgrade trigger. No creep, breaks clean at 2.5 pounds. I may just keep it around for a spare?

Your memory is very good. Yes, I do use the Burris 6X mini AO scopes on several of my rifles, especially those I used for Squirrel hunting. It's obvious I never bought enough of them. shocked I did recently acquire another one which will go on the CZ while it's still a 22lr. I wish I could find more of them at a decent price. Another one that I do like for Squirrel hunting is the Leupold 6X36 with factory set parallax at 40yds. and a fine duplex crosshair.
When sorting out 22lr. rounds each rifle likes I will use more magnified power. Once I find the rounds a rifle likes, back on goes the 6X.
Yes, the glass in the Tract is quite amazing and so are their binoculars.
Ya, my 10/22's still have the aluminum trigger housing, I didn't even know they went to plastic.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There are local .22 shoots every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays. A few months this time of year there are also shoots on Thursday, Saturday and Sundays. I don’t do all of these and they vary course of fire from 50 feet to 100 feet (the woods walks have targets from 50 feet to 100 yards). Some allow any scopes, some aperture sights and some just open barrel sights. They are all off-hand. Lots of fun and allows me to get a chance to shoot rifles I normally wouldn’t get to shoot much. Most if the shoots are for meat prizes some and some for cash - one is for NRA sporter class rifles.

Do as many as I can but have been slowing down some the last few years. Wish you guys were closer I think you’d really enjoy the guys and the events!

PennDog

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Now that sounds like fun PennDog. I wish I was too.
What's your favorite combination for the woods walks?

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
sounds fun Penn Dog. Used to spend a lot of time in central Pa.

Not shooting much here, too much mud. When I go home to Wyoming I plan to do a lot more. A bit of pistol shooting maybe once a week is about it here.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Had a local match last week and took 3rd on the USBR with a 234 with my T1x.

Top 4 were

236 - Bergara
235 - CZ Varmint
234 - T1x
232 - CZ mtr

I duffed one shot and it cost me. Everyone else has aftermarket chassis, aftermarket triggers, etc. My T1x has a bag rider, the beavertail forearm and everything else stock.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We shooting indoors in VA and been doing pretty well! Got a new toy custom built by Tony Larsen darn thing wouldn’t go off sometimes so finally got the problem fixed and we back in business!!! Got a new Begara bmr and anxious to play with it some more see it if will consistently beat my tikka

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by K22
Now that sounds like fun PennDog. I wish I was too.
What's your favorite combination for the woods walks?

Really don’t know that I have a favorite but I have done well with Anschutz 54 sporters, CZ 452-457s, Remington 541s and 40X sporters, Coopers 57s and a few other scoped rifles and for open sights the Mauser 350s and Winchester 52 sporters are my favorite followed by Savage 23A, Marlin 39/Winchester 9422s. For pistols/revolvers I like my Buckmark, High Standard Citation, Volquartsen Black Mamba and S&W 617. Ahh hell I guess I like them all😁 - seriously the woods walks give one great practice for squirrel hunting as most of the targets are in the smaller side - they also have a “golf” game that is very challenging - has 18 targets set from 30-50 yards that are pretty small - if you can hit all 18 with one shot (the goal) you are an excellent shot!!

If you think you might ever be up this way look me up and I’ll get you a schedule - it is a way to get some great practice.

PennDog

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Been in centerfire mode of late. A couple of new ones went out on Wednesday. Likely head out tomorrow as one had a misbehaving 3-9X Burris FFII.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PennDog
There are local .22 shoots every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays. A few months this time of year there are also shoots on Thursday, Saturday and Sundays. I don’t do all of these and they vary course of fire from 50 feet to 100 feet (the woods walks have targets from 50 feet to 100 yards). Some allow any scopes, some aperture sights and some just open barrel sights. They are all off-hand. Lots of fun and allows me to get a chance to shoot rifles I normally wouldn’t get to shoot much. Most if the shoots are for meat prizes some and some for cash - one is for NRA sporter class rifles.

Do as many as I can but have been slowing down some the last few years. Wish you guys were closer I think you’d really enjoy the guys and the events!

PennDog

Man, I'd love that kind of shooting. Sounds like a lot of fun!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Had a local match last week and took 3rd on the USBR with a 234 with my T1x.

Top 4 were

236 - Bergara
235 - CZ Varmint
234 - T1x
232 - CZ mtr

I duffed one shot and it cost me. Everyone else has aftermarket chassis, aftermarket triggers, etc. My T1x has a bag rider, the beavertail forearm and everything else stock.

H, you are doing well my friend. That T1x sounds like a shooter!!! Thanks for listing the scores and rifles used too. That is great info!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Been in centerfire mode of late. A couple of new ones went out on Wednesday. Likely head out tomorrow as one had a misbehaving 3-9X Burris FFII.

That does happen. I've had to send 2 FFII's back, but they always treat me right. Burris is pretty easy to deal with. I've been messing with a new rifle and using an old gloss FFII with ballistic plex reticle. That rifle is surprising me. Not so much at 100 yards, but it's laying them right in there at 400 yards. Love those scopes with that reticle.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Pretty cool thread there Dan.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think I'll get out to the range next week.It's been a long time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Been futzing around with this ‘n that, an optics Chinese Fire Drill. This morning I replaced the Elite 4500 1-4 on my .22 Mag AR with the Credo HX 1-6 I liberated when I swapped my Howa Mini SS 6.5 into the aftermarket stock and floorplate I had on a blued one. Plan on dialing it in tomorrow and burning up some of the ammo I acquired for it, plus use the Garmin to check speeds. The 1-4 will probably end up on my inline where the long ER may help save my lovely complexion from a beating…..

The new Mini worked out very well, dropped about 11.5oz with a lighter scope, shorter barrel, and different mounts. I think both these rigs are complete, except possibly I may skim bed the chamber swell on the Mini after more testing.

Sounds like you are keeping busy. That is good!! I like to do that kind of stuff too. Lately though, I've been going back and forth on a new rifle. Wondering if I should glass bed it. That's not like me either. Generally I'll just do it, because it's so simple and doesn't take much time. I've always been dead set on getting the best/most precision out of my rifles. Every damn one of them shoots well. I have buddies that tell me they wished they had just one rifle set up like I have all of mine set up. Well, this new to me rifle is an older Sako, and I don't know if I want to mess with it. The sad thing is, my girlfriends Winchester model 70, that I bought a few months ago, shoots better. It will downright stomp the Sako at 100 yards, but the Sako will outshoot it at 400 yards, with a cold barrel. Once the barrel starts heating up, all bets are off. It's a "hunting" rifle though, right? We always hear, that the first shot is always the most important. That is 100% right. I think I'm slipping, but I don't really want to mess with the originality of this new to me Sako. The barrel is not freefloating, but it sits in the stock very solidly. I wouldn't take it to a benchrest, or even a hunting rifle shoot my club has, but it will print sub 2" groups at 400 yards, when the barrel is cool. 10 shot groups are horrendous though!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222Sako, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.