Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here's a not very old Coopers from my back fence. He keeps the dove numbers in check. His eyes would be dark red or orange if he was fully mature.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/17/24.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Yep, first year sharpie, down from the North Woods. The square tail end shape is a field mark. Cooper’s hawks are very similar but run larger with a more rounded tail.

(BTW now that Ornithology has gone Woke, Coopers will soon be called something else.)

What was wrong with Cooper? I did a search engine search but all that I came up with was that the Cooper hawk was named after William Cooper by his friend Charles Bonaparte the nephew of Napoleon.

It’s as bad as you think it is, this from the American Ornithological Society (AOS) which has jurisdiction over these things…

https://americanornithology.org/about/english-bird-names-project/

AOS President Colleen Handel, Ph.D., said: “There is power in a name, and some English bird names have associations with the past that continue to be exclusionary and harmful today. We need a much more inclusive and engaging scientific process that focuses attention on the unique features and beauty of the birds themselves. Everyone who loves and cares about birds should be able to enjoy and study them freely—and birds need our help now more than ever.”

AOS Executive Director and CEO Judith Scarl, Ph.D., said: “As scientists, we work to eliminate bias in science. But there has been historic bias in how birds are named, and who might have a bird named in their honor. Exclusionary naming conventions developed in the 1800s, clouded by racism and misogyny, don’t work for us today, and the time has come for us to transform this process and redirect the focus to the birds, where it belongs. I am proud to be part of this new vision and am excited to work in partnership with a broad array of experts and bird lovers in creating an inclusive naming structure.”

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
AOS President and Executive Director and CEO…….Colleen and Judith. That’s all you need to know. 🤬

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Eye color in Coopers, lifted from Cornell’ Birds of the World website. In Coopers takes about five years, in sharpies only three. It’s a tough world out there. Most of either species don’t make it that far so this red color is assumed to function in mate selection, red eyes giving an advantage.

[Linked Image from ]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Beautiful birds. What I discovered is that even small ones have talons that are nuclear powered. They don't bite hard. But these talons will go all the way through thins parts of your hand. This is one I found stunned on a busy road during rush hour. It had blood in the nostril on the other side. Must have dived into the road after a bird, or got hit by a car. I picked it up and took it to the wild animal vet at animnal control's request. By the time I got there, it had come to. It latched into my hand and one of the talons went through the web between the middle and ring finger and out the other side. Another almost went through the palm. Luckily a bone stopped it. For a bird about the size of a crow, they have a crushing grip. They kill by impaling.

I’m jealous! The only scar I got were from an appendectomygrin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would have guessed Cooper's too.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Eye color in Coopers, lifted from Cornell’ Birds of the World website. In Coopers takes about five years, in sharpies only three. It’s a tough world out there. Most of either species don’t make it that far so this red color is assumed to function in mate selection, red eyes giving an advantage.

[Linked Image from ]

Very cool birds.

I’d imagine that a lot of them die from hunting related injuries. I’ve watched several crash into shrubs kamikaze style while in pursuit of sparrows or house finches.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like a Sharp Shinned tail ; yellowish redish eye

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great postings guys! Learn something most days around here.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of cooper's hawks....I see them all the time near my house.

Just yesterday I saw the two of most interesting maneuvers they do. One flew into a tree's thick cover at full speed to try and get a songbird. He pulled in his wings at the last moment and just dove in! I once found a dead cooper's that did the same thing and hit a limb or something that killed it.

The other technique is not as common. Doves are in an open field feeding. The cooper's hawk is alternately flapping and gliding 100 yards or more above. It suddenly dives towards the ground while varying its path in fast tight turns which I believe does two things. This allows the bird to get depth perception as it doesn't have binocular vision and it confuses the prey. When close to the doves it will single one out and be in hot pursuit. Occasionally I get to see the kill.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wish there were more of these around here! Too many Sparrows, Crackles (whatever), Starlings that crap all over the place! Outside of my house, deck and vehicle look like little brown bombs have gone off everywhere!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Azshooter

Just yesterday I saw the two of most interesting maneuvers they do. One flew into a tree's thick cover at full speed to try and get a songbird. He pulled in his wings at the last moment and just dove in! I once found a dead cooper's that did the same thing and hit a limb or something that killed it.

The other technique is not as common. Doves are in an open field feeding. The cooper's hawk is alternately flapping and gliding 100 yards or more above. It suddenly dives towards the ground while varying its path in fast tight turns which I believe does two things. This allows the bird to get depth perception as it doesn't have binocular vision and it confuses the prey. When close to the doves it will single one out and be in hot pursuit. Occasionally I get to see the kill.
There is no way an accipiter could hunt without binocular vision.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed sitka deer you are correct.

I should have said there is a conflict with maximum visual acuity and clear binocular vision when a bird dives on its prey. They cannot use their binocular vision alone when diving on prey.

I observe raptors often. They rotate their body rather than the head as they dive. It is explained here:

"Some raptors – falcons, hawks and eagles in this study – attack their prey from great distances in high-speed dives, and this behavior creates a conflict between aerodynamics and vision: raptors must keep their heads and bodies aligned with the flight direction to minimize drag and reach maximum speed (Tucker, 2000a) but, to see straight ahead with maximum visual acuity (a measure of the ability to discriminate fine details; Riggs, 1965), they must turn their heads 40 ° sideways to point the line of sight (LOS) of one eye in the flight direction (Tucker, 2000b). In theory, raptors could resolve this conflict by aligning their heads and bodies with the flight direction and flying along a curved path that keeps the LOS for maximum visual acuity pointed sideways at the prey. Even though the curved path is longer than the straight one, the raptor could probably reach the prey more quickly along the curved path, because the raptor’s speed with its head straight is higher than that with its head sideways (Tucker, 2000b).

A falcon that follows the ideal path begins its approach to the prey from so far away that it can see the prey only with its deep fovea. At some point along the path, the prey is close enough to be seen clearly straight ahead with the less-acute binocular vision, and the falcon leaves the spiral path and flies straight towards the prey. These maneuvers give rise to the spiral and straight segments of the ideal path."

link: https://journals.biologists.com/jeb...rved-flight-paths-and-sideways-vision-in

Last edited by Azshooter; 02/18/24.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I saw a video a few years ago that showed how hawks get through vegetation at speed. They had a wall with a softball sized hole in it with a prey animal on one side and a Goshawk (I think?) on the other. When the hawk flew toward the hole, it tucked its wings and went through the hole without missing a beat. Really cool when it was slowed down but almost unbelievable to see at full speed.

I watched a red tailed hawk go after a squirrel in our back yard one afternoon. It swooped in and it looked like it was almost out of control as it was falling/tumbling down the trunk through the branches as the squirrel ran down the tree. Missed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

There is no way an accipiter could hunt without binocular vision.

Sharp-shins in particular from some angles can look as if the eyes are pretty far on the side of the head, after all they are small and subject to predation themselves, but they definitely have binocular vision, when perched they stare directly at potential prey.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have read that healed fractures to the sternum from impacts are quite common in Cooper’s hawks, I would guess the same is true of sharpies also. How much they are impaired by a fractured sternum immediately after impact I dunno.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mike, I watched a hawk? hovering while hunting a field out at Leakey.
I figured it was a Harrier Hawk. Their range seems to be way North of here.
What do you think it was?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Northern Harriers, male and female have a very distinct 2-3” white spot on their backs at the base of the tail. Males are grayish and females are brownish. The white spot is the best thing to look for. They’ll usually be cruising along following the contours on the ground.
AKA Marsh Hawk. 😊

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by poboy
Mike, I watched a hawk? hovering while hunting a field out at Leakey.
I figured it was a Harrier Hawk. Their range seems to be way North of here.
What do you think it was?

As Nav posted, harrier have a prominent white rump patch above the tail, typically hunt low over tall vegetation. Red-tailed hawks come in a variety of shades from black to nearly white, and only the adults have a red tail, they will sometimes hover into a wind while hunting.

If it looked really big, a ferruginous hawk is a possibility.

…and of course the classic hovering bird is the little American kestrel.

Texas is full of hawks from all over North America in winter.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,282 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,230
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.