Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
When I'm around----They Go To Heaven!

Hip

Heaven = pan-fried young squirrel, mashed taters, biscuits and gravy, vegetables of your choice, milk/tea/adult beverage of choice.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
When I'm around----They Go To Heaven!

Hip

Heaven = pan-fried young squirrel, mashed taters, biscuits and gravy, vegetables of your choice, milk/tea/adult beverage of choice.
So glad we get to hunt them in the late spring when those young are out and about.

I would hate to have to wait until fall to get after em.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't hunt them a whole lot in the spring but occasionally when that nice cool morning comes around I know where some Mulberry trees are and the squirrels will be after those Mulberries. I'll kill a few for the skillet then.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't hunt them a whole lot in the spring but occasionally when that nice cool morning comes around I know where some Mulberry trees are and the squirrels will be after those Mulberries. I'll kill a few for the skillet then.
That's the key, mulberry trees loaded with ripe mulberries. They travel a good bit for those.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To squirrel heaven...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My last great Squirrel hurrah!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My last Squirrel hunt. Times have changed.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful Auto Five! What gauge?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Beautiful Auto Five! What gauge?

Itโ€™s a 1965 Belgian Auto 5, 12 ga which i took out of the box which it had been in since new. That was 2018. Handed it off to Art Isaacson, Artโ€™s Gun Shop, at the Tulsa Gun Show which we attend twice annually. He replaced every spring in it & of course blessed it otherwise for $120, delivered. The original recoil spring was 2โ€ shorter than the new, glad I did that before shooting it.

I purchased an Invector barrel for it for $550 & sold the original for $150. That transaction nearly turned into an assault right there in the aisle at the gun show.

So, in 2018 you might say it was brand new. Thatโ€™s why it looks so good.

Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! Art is THE man when it comes to most things Browning. I grew up with Auto Fives around. My dad was magical with his Sweet Sixteen and Light Twelve. An uncle had a Light Twenty. I hold my Twenty near and dear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think they go to Reloder28โ€™s freezer.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very nice! Art is THE man when it comes to most things Browning. I grew up with Auto Fives around. My dad was magical with his Sweet Sixteen and Light Twelve. An uncle had a Light Twenty. I hold my Twenty near and dear.

As would I.

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
I think they go to Reloder28โ€™s freezer.

Looks like those times are getting fewer by the year.

I killed most of those in the Trinity River bottom. Problem is, the river comes out of its banks and season is the month of October for me as I will be hunting WTโ€™s in South Texas from then on. If the Trinity is out of its banks in October the waters will not recede enough to dry up before the 31st. The Duck hunting is stellar & that is a viable alternativeโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..if, I cared anything about Duck hunting. Last hunt in the water, a buddy lost his dog to a gator. No thanks.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm right now in my warm office up on the north side of Cincinnati. That's where I spend 2-3 months of winter. The place at the farm just isn't big enough for me, and I get to feeling cooped up. When I'm at the farm, we're normally crawling with squirrels. Up here, we're also up to our eyeballs with tree rats.

Squirrels generally don't go anywhere as long as there is food. From the back patio, I can see a dozen dreys. When the numbers decrease, it is usually from lack of food, and since the oaks go in approximately 10-year cycles, so do the squirrels. When I went out to sit this morning I had a gazillion squirrels moving about.

Squirrels do migrate when there are too many of them and they outstrip the local food source. #2 son, Moose, is the squirrel expert. He explained a phenomenon I was seeing a couple of years ago when the acorn crop failed. Squirrels get suicidal. They start roaming out in the middle of the street. They're not trying to kill themselves, but they start doing risky behaviors. One is searching for food in dangerous places and the other is migrating into unknown territory.

Generally speaking, the seasonal thing has to do with cover. Spring Squirrel season at the farm is usually a bust. Moose, being the expert, is the only one that seems to be able to get a shot at them. They hide up in the foliage and they're very hard to pick out. It is hard to shoot them until the leaves start to fall. Now, with all the leaves down, they are easier to see. They were there in June and September, you just couldn't see them. Now, all the food that's left is down on the ground. Moose like to hunt until the last day of season in February.

We have no AG in the area around the farm. It's all cow pastures or fallow land. If you have standing crops around, there are plenty of squirrels. The other thing is cover. Moose prefers to hunt hardwood stands with adjoining cedar thickets. The squirrels like to hid in the cedars and then come out onto the hardwood branches to feed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When we had six wire corncribs full of ear corn, we had plenty of squirrels. One burned our transformer.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mom talked about squirrel, and dumplings.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 60 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,586
Posts18,473,403
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.