Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
The first shot out of the day is usually about 1 1/2" to the left of subsequent shots. After that first shot every 100 yd group is well under an inch, cool, warm or hot barrel, doesn't seem to matter. The rifle is a Kimber Montana. I've bedded the action forward of the magazine well up to the recoil lug, the rest of the barrel is free floated. This tightened the groups, but did not help otherwise. Any suggestions for a fix for this?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have a 700 BDL that would do that on the first shot from a clean barrel after that it never happened. Since its a hunting rifle I just put up with it. Lately been using lock eeze in the bore and while it didnt cure it completely it has helped alot.

Swifty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you shoot 5 shots out of the barrel it'll put one 1 1/2" the left and the next 4 in a 1/2"?

Before I messed with anything, I'd put a couple 5 shot groups through it and see if the trend continues.

Semper Fi
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
In my case it doesn't seem to matter if it's a clean barrel or not.

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
beretzs, I actually have not fired any 5 shot groups, only 3 shot groups. Otherwise yes, that first group typically would be the first shot off to the left and the next two almost touching. After that first group it consistently does 1/2 to 3/4" for 3 shots. I guess I should try some 5 shot groups.

IC B2

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Once it's been fired that first time it's very consistent.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mine has been repeatable for 20 years. First shot out of a clean barrel. 1”- 1 1/2” low left every dang time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Having shot High Power matches for years, 50 shots for record, 20 of which are rapid fire...plus sighters, would it be impertinent to suggest some of you gentlemen are cleaning your rifles way too much?
That said, I'd take a good look at guard screw hole clearance, tang clearance, and a full float magazine box.

Last edited by flintlocke; 02/18/24.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I don't think it's a cleaning issue in my case. This is a hunting rifle, I might shoot it 20 or 30 times before deer season to develop and/or confirm a load, then 2 or 3 times during the season, then clean it and put it away for 8 months. I feel like I've addressed the mag box and various screws.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is that cold bore shot consistent?

If so, I would zero to it. Then hunt.
My Montana is set up that way.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Savage 110 in 25-06 that does a similar thing. First shot from a dirty or clean barrel goes 3" high. The next 3 shots go into .75" at my zero point. I usually zero 2" high at 100 yards, so the first shot of the day goes 5" high.
Once, when I was driving by a place that I had permission to hunt on, I spotted some pronghorn. I swung the truck around, parked and started a stalk. I kept telling myself that the first shot will shoot high. At 260yds I held dead on and shot right over it's back! No matter what I tell myself, when fur is in the cross hairs, I seem to forget it.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I saw a 1" chop and re-crown tighten up a M70 Sporter .30'06.
Figure it must have something to do with harmonics.
I accept things can happen with the lighter contour tubes and rock on.
If it was a competition/serious duty rifle with a heavier profile, I would be re-tubing for sure.

Been working with a Douglas #1 on a ULA in .30'06 recently. I am impressed with its consistency. The Montana may take a position in the rear of the safe.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I had a rifle doing that, I'd simply always fire a fouling shot before looking at a group. I guess it could be a cold barrel doing that too. I wouldn't try a five shot group to find a fix to the problem, just live with the need for a fouling shot. To see if it's a cold barrel fire a three shot group then set the rifle aside long enough to completely cool it and then try again. I don't fire a lot of five shot group's as I figure no game animal is gonna stand around and watch me work the bolt for that many shot's! If the first or second shot doesn't work you'll probably not get a third or fourth shot much less a fifth.

About the to clean barrel, years ago I super cleaned the barrel after each use and back then I did need that fouling shot. These days I like the get the powder fouling out and leave some copper fouling. Seem that pretty much eliminated the need for the fouling shot for me. I think I read some years back that target shooter always shoot a fouling shot before getting serous!

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
If I can't sort it out by next deer season, I'll zero it for the first shot, but I'm hoping to sort it out. Maybe some pressure under the barrel at the forend?

Last edited by UnderMountain; 02/18/24.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll just throw it out there for you to check. Use a dollar bill in the barrel channel to check for adequate clearance between barrel and front sling swivel stud. Cold and hot if it's touching shorten the stud till it don't.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UnderMountain
The first shot out of the day is usually about 1 1/2" to the left of subsequent shots. After that first shot every 100 yd group is well under an inch, cool, warm or hot barrel, doesn't seem to matter. The rifle is a Kimber Montana. I've bedded the action forward of the magazine well up to the recoil lug, the rest of the barrel is free floated. This tightened the groups, but did not help otherwise. Any suggestions for a fix for this?

It could possibly be a shooter issue to consider as well. I don't dry fire, but maybe that would be a good place to start, before you shoot the first group.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by UnderMountain
If I can't sort it out by next deer season, I'll zero it for the first shot, but I'm hoping to sort it out. Maybe some pressure under the barrel at the forend?

Of course, full length bedding can be tried. Might help. Might not.
Have not read too many with Montana experience recommending it.

To me, start from the start and if the ammo is consistent with bedding sound and proper rings/scope I'd consider it a barrel issue.
Your shooting good groups after the CBS leads me to eliminate a shooter issue.
Go ten or more CBS on the same target. Observe results.
7/08?

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Next time I'll dry fire a couple of shots before shooting groups, just to rule operator error out.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would shoot (3) 5 shot groups at the same target and see if the first shot falls within the group.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My .250 Savage does this for the first shot from a clean barrel. I will only shoot a big critter on the first shot out to 300 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,931
Posts18,479,931
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.